Audreymom Guest

Default excercise after bedrest

After 2 months of bedrest I'll be having my baby shortly! Have any of you been on bedrest and if so, what do you recommend for starting excercising again after baby is born. How soon can I start? How tired were you and how long did it take you to feel "normal" again. I've been on complete bedrest so other than walking to the car to go to my doctor's visits, I've been completely inactive. I can't wait to get started again!

Default RE: excercise after bedrest

I was not on bedrest, but I could not exercise or lift anything after the first trimester. Six months of inactivity will do a number on your body! I started slow - a little yoga and pilates, as well as walking on a treadmill. At three months PP I started working with a trainer to get back into shape. I've been working with him for a month and I'm starting to see some results. I would just suggest starting slow, at least until you feel as if you've gotten your balance back. At this time of year just grab the stroller and go! HTH!

Jennifer
    Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03
    Jennifer
    Momma to Aidan 01/03
    New addition coming 10/08

spu Guest

Hi there!

I was on complete bedrest for 4 months of my pregnancy so I know how atrophied you must feel. I was pg w/twins and after a really long labor, and eventually a c-section, I'd say I felt back to myself about 8-10 weeks later. I still feel alot weaker than normal (I've been teaching Step Aerobics and group fitness classes for 16+) but I haven't started teaching again yet.

Taking care of myself and my babies was exercise enough in the beginning. I remember at the 10 week mark saying "boy - I can finally walk as fast as I want now!" -- meaning I could go from the car to the mall really quickly... LOL

I kept up some arm strength while on bedrest and did some quad stuff too, but for the most part, between the bedrest and the twin pregnancy, my torso was shot. I'm still trying to gain back strength at 11 months, but I've been doing it with practical stuff rather than specific exercises.

I'd say once you've recovered from the delivery and get the OK from your dr., I'd focus on doing some cardio like brisk walking and some light strength exercises. Keep in mind you may be alot more tired from taking care of the new baby than you're anticipating, so keep your goals light and attainable.

Congrats on getting through 2 mos of bedrest! It's crazy isn't it? But we can do it! And if you can do that, you can do anything!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
    charlotte & else

heidi_timms Guest

The paperwork at the hospital said no aerobics for 6 weeks, but I think that I started back at 5 around 5-6 weeks. I also teach aerobics and it felt great to get back after taking a break to have a baby!

~Heidi
    Mom to Kailey Ashlin
    4/27/03

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

anyone else ??

this is my second child and i have been on bedrest since the end of january and in addition to going absolutely crazy, my body is falling apart. i can feel and see what used to be my leg muscles atrophy, and i get winded walking from the bedroom to the kitchen to get a glass of water. i have no energy, and the medicine i am on makes my heartbeat go up, and i get out of breath quickly. oh, and can you tell that my mood is simply wonderful too. ha ha.

the kid isn't due till the end of april, but i will be stopping the meds in a couple weeks (at 36 weeks probably) and all the nurses and doctors think he will be arriving shortly afterwards.

so, what i want is to hear someone say that they were on bedrest for over two months, and were able to actually survive labor, take care of a newborn, deal with a toddler and a husband, and get back in shape. quickly. not after 10-12 weeks.

wah.

(sorry for whining. bad day)

cma Guest

At 31 weeks, I had to go on modified bedrest. It was tough since I had an almost 2 year old running around, but my family and friends all helped by becoming a nanny our DD.

I got the go ahead to stop taking meds at 37 weeks and 5 days later DS appeared! Since it was baby #2, he came out a lot quicker than DD (I pushed thru 5 contractions).

After finally having DS, the worry of DS coming early was lifted and I physically and mentally felt soooo much better.

5 days after having DS, I went to the mall to shop! A week later I was hosting a playgroup. And then a week and half later we started our fall session of DD’s classes. (Keep in mind I had help from DH for 3 weeks.)

My OB gave me the go ahead for exercising (like aerobics) at 6 weeks, but before then I had already started taking short walks around the block and doing those strengthening exercises listed in the post-partum book from the hospital.

I’m sure you’ll feel so much better after having your baby. Also running after your 2 kids will get you back in shape in no time. I actually bought a pedometer to see how many steps I actually take as a mom of 2!

Good luck!

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

thanks SO MUCH for your response. wow, to know that i might actually get my life back and be able to leave the house and walk around and even shop... how wonderful.

and it took five days for the baby to come after stopping meds ?? the nurse i speak with every day says she wouldn't be surprised if i have him the next day once i stop... did you have contractions the whole five days and then just have the babe ??

anyway, i am going to order the toddler booster seat for my "walk around the neighborhood stoller" and try to follow your wonderful example and get right back into at least a light exercise routine as soon as possible.

thanks again

lynn

I was only on bedrest for two weeks - premature rupture of membranes means no stopping labor when it hits. But, this is an area I practice in - moms of preemies, perinatal concerns etc, so I have talked to lots of moms in your situation. You absolutely will survive. Most women I've worked with felt by far the hardest part physically (assuming they made it to 35+ weeks and had a healthy babe) was bedrest/horrible meds. As you described, you can literally watch your body wasting away, which is a complete contrast to the life growing in you. The key is to continue planning ahead of time. However you are taking care of you toddler now, see if that person (persons) can commit to helping out a fair amount in the first few weeks your home. If you have ever taken an exercise sabbatical - or you're like me and tend to go in waves - get in shape, look decent, get lazy, get miserable, get in shape - you know that the first efforts of doing something physical after a long rest is always the hardest. Then, after a week or two, you are shocked by how much progress you have made. Yes, you will be winded just going across a room the first few times, but your body will recover. Just allow yourself to rest when needed. Remember how tired most moms are who aren't coming off bedrest when a newborn comes home. Your sleep schedule is decimated. Friends/neighbors who might not have been able to take your toddler for whole days to help out now, probably are willing to take a couple of hours - time for you to sleep with the baby. Also, your toddler will probably be extra clingy now that Mom is up and about and seemingly (to a toddler) available for attention. Don't get down on yourself if you can't do it all initially. Ask for help. Most Mom's said walking was the best thing, but start small the first few times. Unless you were like the women above - teaching aerobics - you really will need to build slowly. For example, many moms I've worked with walked around their block once the first time, and added a block every other day. Try to do this when you know you will have help at home when you return if you need to sit and recover. You really, really will be back to "normal" before you know it - and chasing your toddler, husband and baby around the house.
    Oh yeah, and see how much they will let you walk around in the hospital before you go home - nurses are built in babysitters if you need a nap.
    Best of luck.
    Alaina - Mom to Alex 2-4-03 (born at 32 weeks)

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I was on bedrest for 8 weeks and then allowed off bedrest for the last 3 weeks-from 33 weeks on + I delivered at 36. I finally feel like myself again after almost ten months + that includes 5 months of physical therapy. I was in pretty good shape before but bedrest + weight gain during pregnancy definitely destroyed me for awhile-nerve damage in my leg + herniated disks in my back. I love my DS so it was definitely worth it. I started to walk around the neighborhood when my son was 3 weeks old. I was really eager to get started. My biggest mistake was pushing it too much early on. At about 8 weeks after I rejoined the gym + did a few personal training sessions. I was pushed way too much. Slow + steady would have been the way to go.

cma Guest

I stopped taking meds on a Friday and DS came on Wednesday. I only knew to go to the hospital on Wednesday because I was doing a NST that day. The contractions didn't feel like the contractions I felt with DD.

My friend got off bedrest and took her last pill 2 weeks ago and her babe hasn't made his appearance yet! So it just depends on each individual person.

I totally understand about those cabin fever feelings, but do listen to your body. I was able to just jump back into my routine because of help from DH, my family and my moms' group.

Good Luck!