scubagear Guest

Default lbs. lost during delivery???

Hi all! On average, how many lbs. would you say you lose after giving birth to your baby? Also - do the hospitals weigh you when you're admitted and then when you are on your way out?

Just curious!

Thanks!

Annette_C Guest

Default RE: lbs. lost during delivery???

It all depends on the size of the baby, if you retained water, etc.
    I had gained 22 lbs with my 42 wks pregnancy and lost all but 5 of it after delivery (well, not right after....more like a week later).
    And, no, they don't weigh you at the hospital...at least not at mine!
    HTH,
    Annette
    SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

zen_bliss is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

i don't know if there is an 'average' just like you never know how much you will actually gain. i was a skinny minnie before pg, gained 40 lbs and came home with 25 of it, much to my shock and chagrin. my hospital didn't weigh me but you betcha i stepped on that scale when i got home.

I gained 40lbs with #1. By 6 weeks post partum I had lost 35lbs.
    I gained 17lbs with #2. By 6 weeks post partum I had lost 23lbs.

:D
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Calmegja Guest

There was no way I was getting on the scale at the hospital.

I lost about 10 pounds at each delivery. I don't lose all my pregnancy weight until weaning, and I don't lose much at all until about 6 months PP.

But...I have always returned to my prepregnancy weight.

Torey Guest

I don't think most hospitals weigh you before or after delivery. Anyway, I wouldn't get on a scale until you go in for your first post-partum checkup. Fortunately, my doctor's office doesn't have that until 8 weeks (most are at 6). I just told myself that I was not going to worry about weight until I stepped on the scale 8 weeks later. I hadn't gained much weight but when your clothes don't fit you start to stress out, and honestly you just don't need to know what your weight is when you are trying to adjust to caring for a baby. Also, even if hypothetically you miraculously weighed your pre-preg weight the minute after you gave birth (and delivered the placenta) your clothes still wouldn't fit because your uterus will take a couple weeks to contract back down to size. Some women will go home from the hospital still looking preg because their uterus is still big. I wasn't this way but I have a friend that was. So anyway, at my 8 week check up I had lost 22 of the pregnancy lbs and only had 5 or so lbs to lose to be back at my original weight. I told myself that as long as I was under a certain weight when I stepped on that scale I would be happy. And I was! :)

I have had two very different experiences. With my first, I gained 33 pounds, and lost nothing during the delivery. Zero, zip, nada. I weighed myself the next day and I weighed exactly the same as I had at my last appointment a few days before delivery. I think it was because of the IV I had during labor, all the fluids bloated me. I'll never understand how I gave birth to a 9 lb 8 oz baby and lost no weight. I never did lose that weight, except the 15 that sropped off when I stopped breastfeeding, I just kept gaining from that point, until I went on Atkins 10 years later and lost it all.

This time, I gained 28 pounds, had no IV during delivery, gave birth to an 8 lb 6 oz baby and lost 16 pounds during the delivery. I lost 3 pounds more by my 6 week appointment. THe last 9 won't go away until I stop breastfeeding, so I am not worrying about it.

edited to add that I had to go in search of a scale at the hospital. They didn't even have one on the maternity floor.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jojo2324 Guest

I gained 25 lbs with baby number one, and I would guess lost all but 5 lbs of it by the time I got out of the hospital. Nursing took care of the rest (and then some!).

Currently, I have only gained two pounds. But my belly is big, bigger than it was with Gannon at this point. So we'll see...And there are still 4-5 months for Little Miss to get me nice and big! :D

I was not weighed at check-in or check-out at the hospital.

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No weighing at my hospital.

I guess I gained about 40 lbs, and lost about 30 of it by 8 weeks postpartum. The IV fluids definitely are a problem, as someone mentioned. My legs and ankles and feet were so swollen I couldn't get my biggest loosest pregnancy shoes on to go home from the hospital, when DS was 4 days old. I think that swelling stuck around for almost two weeks.

I was told to plan to be about the size I was at 5-6 months pregnant when leaving the hospital (to plan for going home clothes) and that was pretty accurate.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

amp Guest

They did not weigh me at my hospital. I gained about 24 lbs during pregnancy, and by 2 wks post op, I was below my original weight at the beginning of the pregnancy. This is due to the fact that not only did I have a huge baby (10 lbs 9 oz), but I also tried very hard to eat healthy during my pregnancy, so at the beginning of it, the OB said I would have been losing weight if I wasn't pregnant. Too bad I can't seem to keep up those eating habits postpartum!