Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default backache after baby

This may sound idiotic, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a lot of trouble with your lower back after having the baby? I swear it hurts more now than when I was pregnant. Laying down is the worst; I can't sleep on my back or stomach at all, and I have to switch sides often during the night.

I've tried the chiropractor and it didn't seem to help at all. Any suggestions?

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

jojo2324 Guest

Default RE: backache after baby

I know that Sarah's (mamahill) tailbone actually bent during childbirth. I don't know much about remedies or anything, but I hope you feel better!

Have you told your OB/GYN yet? This happened to my friend who recently had her baby. She's doing physical therapy now on her OBs orders.

Hope you get some relief!

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Thanks, ladies. I guess it's another trip to the doctor! I didn't think to mention it last time I was in.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

ginalc Guest

Hi Missy,

My back hurt so bad after DS (baby #3) that I had to push him in a stroller IN THE HOUSE!!! I was in agony for months. Took lots of painpills.

First I would recommend seeing your Dr. or midwife for examination to make sure nothing is strained or fractured. If you're OK, then they will probably recommend PT.

I saw a physical therapist who specialized in women's health. She started me on some lower ab, perineal, and lower back exercises and we progressed to Pilates exercises from there. After 5 months of weekly PT and LOTS of walking outdoors, I was able to "go solo" and just do my exercises at home. When I stray from those exercises, I get some pain again, but starting them back up does wonders.

BTW, one term that helped me understand how to help my back was "Posture Muscles!!!" I have sticky notes all over the house to remind me to tighten those kegel muscles and pull my lower abs in when I'm standing and whenever I lean over to LIFT ANYTHING, including my children. My PT shared that it takes 4 months for the perineal muscles to start healing AFTER you can hold a kegel for 10 seconds.

Rest assured, it can improve! :)

gina, mom to 3

ginalc Guest

Oops, forgot to mention that holding baby during feeding was also key to correct posture and maintaining stability in my lower back and hips. I found that using a pillow of some sort to support baby while nursing and keeping my feet even either on the floor or a nursing stool helped the most.

I've used every nursing pillow out there and I found the "My Brest Friend" pillow provided the best lower back support.

Keep us posted!
    gina

Oh no, Gina! You've confirmed my worst fear -- I need to exercise!! I'm going to give the chiropractor one more shot in addition to seeing my doctor, but I'm sure you're right and exercise plus posture will be the solution.

I also wonder if the recliner chair I nurse in might be adding to the problem. LOL, at least I don't sleep there any more! The first few weeks, I slept there most nights with the baby on my chest.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

ginalc Guest

Hi Missy,

I am TOTALLY sold on the benefits of Chiropractics, but to be honest, the Physical Therapist was much more effective at helping me maintain stability in my hips and back. The Chiropractor would adjust me, but 2 days later I was in as much pain as before, sometimes worse. For me it wasn't just a positioning issue, it was the strength issue.

Also, I was informed that if you're nursing, it takes MUCH longer for your body to return to normal. The hormones that allow your body to make milk also help to keep your ligaments soft and flexible = more pain.

When I do my exercises, it usually takes 5 minutes. Not too bad, just work them into my bedtime and morning routine. (No coffee or tooth brushing until I've done them!) :)

gina

celfsh Guest

Hi, Missy! I feel your pain...literally! ITA with what others have said--get yourself checked out by a doctor ASAP! I, too, have had a lot of back (as well as tailbone) pain since I had DD. When it kept getting worse instead of better I finally saw my doctor about it a few months ago. A CT scan and surgery scare later, it turns out my tailbone and spine just basically got all out of whack during the pregnancy, causing a lot of pain and swelling. I went to physical therapy twice a week for about a month, and it did help, but I was so swollen and tender that we could only accomplish so much through therapy. I then started seeing a physician who specializes in chronic pain, and he recommended steroid injections (read: shots--eeks!!!) at the site of the pain to get the swelling down enough to where therapy could actually do some good. So that's where I'm at now...in the middle of a round of about a dozen shots in my back and rear (Nice, huh? Good thing all my modesty went out the window when I had a baby!) over the course of 3 weeks. It isn't any fun, but the doctor says I should feel a vast improvement within 6 weeks. Yay! I was beginning to feel like I would just have to live with the pain forever.

Yikes, I didn't mean to write such a novel! But, anyway, I did want to share my story and suggest that you take your pain seriously and get checked out by a doctor SOONER rather than later! In my case, I could have avoided a lot of misery had I done something about the pain months ago instead of just trying to ignore it.

HTH a little and you start feeling better soon!

Thanks for sharing your stories! I promised my husband I would call the doctor today to set up an appointment. LOL, usually he's the one putting off going to the doctor and I'm nagging!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast