Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default South Beach Diet

DH and I just started this on Sunday and so far so good... it's not as hard as I thought it would be, although I now realize what a huge bread/carb junkie I really am.

I read the book, and having taken a nutrition class and gone through a year of nursing school, I have found the information to be very practical and logical. This actually isn't some freaky diet even though the title makes it sound like it is. There is some pretty sound nutrition information in this book and it is written by a cardiologist.

There is no starving yourself and the food is all balanced and healthy (unlike Atkins). I've mostly found that I had to go out and stock up on lots of vegetables (obviously not a bad thing) and reassess the mountain of pasta that I had in my pantry.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted in case anyone else is interested in this.

mattysmom Guest

Default RE: South Beach Diet

Please keep us posted - I've been reading up on both South Beach and Atkins and trying to decide which route to go... Are you nursing? I am still hanging onto 15 lb which won't budge...but am still nursing and Atkins says no induction while nursing... Any suggestions?

Having also read Atkins (but it was a few years ago) and deciding against it, I would say the reason you wouldn't want to do it while nursing is probably because of the ketosis because of the extreme nature of the carb cutting. I personally found that Atkins makes sense as far as fewer carbs helping you to lose weight, but didn't make good health sense to me overall because it is so restrictive in regards to even vegetables, and has a lot of high cholesterol/high fat food.

South Beach is much more like a sensible diet that includes carb cutting. I wouldn't think there would be any reason while you couldn't do a modified version of this while nursing, because it is basically a healthy diet. What I would probably do if it were me is NOT do the Phase 1 part of the diet which is very restrictive about dairy, unless you thought you could be really good about getting your calcium/other vitamins, minerals, from other sources. The Phase 2 part of the diet is a little more flexible, but still would probably help you to lose weight. You may have to up the quantities a little because of your calorie requirements, but he's not that specific about quantity anyway - basically says, eat until you're full!

Thought this might be helpful:

This is what I ate yesterday (Phase 1 part of diet):

Breakfast
    6 oz V8 juice
    2 hard boiled eggs
    cup of coffee (reg - just couldn't give it up for decaf yet!) with land o' lakes fat free 1/2 & 1/2

Snack:
    mozzarella cheese stick

Lunch:
    green salad with radicchio, tuna (I buy tuna burgers from trader joe's and saute them in a little olive oil), grape tomatoes, and balsamic vinaigrette
    sugar free jello

Snack:
    15 pistachios

Dinner:
    grilled salmon with rosemary (super easy and oh so good)
    steamed asparagus (lots of it!)
    tossed salad with cucumbers, grape tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrette

Dessert:
    Almond Ricotta Creme (recipe from the book) - this is actually REALLY tasty - I'm personally a sucker for cannolis and this is kind of like eating the cannoli filling - YUM!

HTH!

mattysmom Guest

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the second stage of Atkins is similar to Phase 2 of South Beach? I will read more about South Beach (buy the book) and see how Phase 2 looks for me now. I just want to fit into my clothes!

I did the research and determined that ketosis is okay while nursing. What clinched it for me is that Dr Hale says it is okay on his website. (only that it might change the taste)

there is a yahoo group for pregnant or nursing women and lowcarbing

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pregnantatkids

it's for all low carb diets, nut just Atkins.

as for that 15 pounds . . . some women hang onto weight while nursing no matter what. I am that way. The last 15 won't leave until she weans, even if I go to induction levels.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Karen, thanks for the tip about the yahoo group - it sounds like a great resource! DH and I are planning to have our kids close together, so this will be helpful for me to see how people manage while pregnant. I submitted my info to join.

And a 2nd thing on the ketosis - Agatston, who wrote South Beach, also says that he thinks ketosis got a bad wrap undeservedly and that he agrees with many things that Atkins has to say. I just couldn't give up all the stuff you have to give up on Atkins... too hard for me. Plus DH and I only eat fish, but are otherwise vegetarian, so it would have been challenging.

mattysmom Guest

Thanks for this link - I will definitely join and read up on ketosis while nursing. And, it's good to hear that I'm not alone in hanging onto this annoying weight while nursing. It was no fun going out and buying some larger summer clothes but should I bite the bullet and buy some larger winter clothes too? DS is almost 8 months...reading up on weaning is another area for me to investigate.

I just have to report because I'm so excited, that I have lost 3 lbs since I started on Saturday... I AM SOLD!!!

Laurie, that is awesome! Keep up the great work!! :)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast