Default ugly doctor's appt yesterday

So...I've never been the person to diet, but I tipped the scales at over 200 lbs for the first time in my life yesterday and it's starting to affect my health. I have to do something but I don't know where to start. I don't know if any of you are familiar with hyperemesis, but I suffered from this while I was pregnant. I lost a lot of weight and literally didn't eat anything by mouth for 6 months. After the baby was born I overindulged with food because I had been so deprived. I actually had a list of all the foods I wanted to eat again once I wasn't pregnant anymore. I weighed 146 lbs the day they let me out of the hospital, but after all that indulging....I'm up to 202 10 months later. I don't know how to stop eating! I also don't know how I'm going to get on an excercise regimen with a soon to be toddler! Help mommies!

Default RE: ugly doctor's appt yesterday

I also had hyperemesis bad enough to have to be fed TPN via a PICC and, needless to say, a long list of foods I wanted to eat after my baby was born. It is incredibly depressing though when you start to see the scale creep up and up, I know.

First of all, are you sure you might not be suffering from PTSD or depression? Hyperemesis really messes with your psyche, and turning to food as a comfort to compensate for the joyful pregnancy you were robbed of (plus any stress about trying to have more children when you know you will probably be as sick or sicker) is not uncommon. You might find if you deal with the PTSD and/or depression (if you have it), your appetite and eating habits might start to return to normal.

I agree that exercise schedules are very hard with little ones. I only finally started fighting the extra weight last summer when my DD was two. I attended my 10 year college reunion and felt like such a cow that I came home and started journalling my daily food intake and exercise times, and calculating the calories in/out. Then I set myself a calorie per day limit, and worked as best I could on incorporating healthier foods and sticking to it. It was really hard, fighting the grazing instinct especially. But the pounds started coming off very fast at first, and that upped my willpower a whole lot. After a couple months, I stopped tracking calories and probably started eating more, but the weight hasn't come back. Some of the habits (eating healthy breakfast, drinking water vs soda/juice etc, no more ice cream after dinner) seem to have become ingrained in me, which I think is the main difference.

Exercising never really did stick (I'm a walker, but a cold weather wimp), so I do know I am not really a picture of health, but I feel so much better about myself now that I eat better. Hopefully someone else has better suggestiong for how to stick to an excercise schedule!

Anne

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Anne's response was wonderful. I don't have much to add - my weight has always been a struggle for me, so it was a different mental game to learn how to lose it, but it is a mental game and you can do it.

I always felt the biggest change in my life as far as weight loss was to my attitude - I decided I was going to do XYZ, and I stuck with it. If you are wishy washy about it, it will stop working for you, and you won't feel good about that, which just starts you on a vicious cycle. I've been there many times over the years.

Just remember - you can do it, you can.
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

If you want to lose weight and get healthy, I highly suggest Weight Watchers. I have found that it is the only way I can do it. You won't be deprived food wise and you will find the support you need from your meetings and leader. The first thing you need to do is decide you want to do this. Then change your eating. Add exercise later on.

I wish you lots of luck and if you have any WW questions, feel free to pm me. I am not affliated with them, just a happy WW dieter. :)
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

searchdog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I also highly recommend weight watchers. I have about 25 lbs to go to be at my goal weight, but most likely we will be TTC before I hit that goal, but I already weigh less than I did when I got pregnant with DD. You have to be ready to loose the weight other wise you will just be wasting your time. I finally got ready and have now lost ober 30lbs!! I weigh less than what I did on my wedding day now, but still need to loose the last 25 to get back to where I was when DH and I met. I to started at about 200 on my weight loss journey. It is a tough to loose weight, but I am proof it does happen.

chiqanita Guest

megs4413--so sorry you're struggling with this, I hear ya and I completely and totally understand where you're coming from.

I had the hyperemesis along with nausea throughout my 36 week pregnancy. I couldn't eat a thing initially and lost 10 pounds. I forced myself to eat and was able to keep the food down but needed help. I took meds for the entire pregnancy to help curb the nausea and vomiting. I gained about 32 pounds.

Thank God my twins were born healthy and each weighed close to 6 pounds. They kept us so busy I hardly had time to eat so I would grab a frozen chicken sandwich or something like that...and ate standing most of the time. I lost ~35 pounds by the time the twins were 2 months old. I was weak to say the least but things changed soon after that. I starting to snack more to build up my energy but I didn't snack smart. I gained about 20 pounds by the time the twins were about 8 months. I was bummed. I found comfort in snacking...not big meals just a lot of snacking.

I came here for ideas and support. I started walking and exercising daily. I also watched my intake. I did injure my back in Dec which put a complete stop to everything. But now I'm back on track. I'm walking again. I'm eating better. I'm drinking my water.

All I can suggest is to find what works for you and stick to it because it'll make you healthy.

Drink lots of water...especially before a snack. Eat lots of veggies...all you want! Eat lots of fruit!

Not sure I helped but I wanted you to know that you're not alone...you can get support here when you need it.