asha is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default Finally I am doing something about my weight.

OK ladies, I have to join you here. If I dont have a support group or if I dont feel accountable, I am afraid I will fall off the wagon.

Here is my story. My mom was here when DS was born. I gained exactly 22 pounds through my pregnancy. Lost 20 lbs by the time I went for my 6 week check up. After that I managed to gain more weight than I had during my pregnancy. Thanks to my mom's food after 5+ years I guess.
    I kept going like a pendulum in the past year. I have lost about 10 lbs and gained it all back.

Recently I was talking to one of my aunts in India. She said something that really got me motivated. Even though it was a really mean comment (from a person who is really really obese herself), I am kinda glad she said it. That was the last push I need to get serious about my weight.

In the past three weeks, I have lost 7 pounds. I have set a 1200- 1300 calorie goal per day and try to stick to it. Added to that, I walk really fast for about 30 minutes perday + play with DS every evening in our back yard (when it is not raining). I have always been drinking 2-3 litres (a little over a gallon) of water everyday, so that is not a problem.

Any suggestions, advice is greatly appreciated. So, feel free to tell me if I should do things differently. I am strictly vegetarian, no eggs, no diary with the exception of yogurt. I love eating fruits. I could live on fruits. I eat some rice/whole wheat stuff along with fruits and yogurt for lunch. Breakfast and dinner is mainly steamed veggies and/or fruits, may be some soups or cereals/oatmeal. Snacks are more fruits, carrots, cereals, lentil sprouts etc. I dont drink any soda, coffee or tea. I dont like desserts/sweets, so that makes it easy. Of course chocolates and ice creams are an exception.

My goal is to lose 20 pounds by September. My brother is getting married and I am going to India. Before that I want to lose this weight. I know that the first few pounds are the easiest to lose, so I am going to have to work harder as I go. So, I hope to come to you all when ever I need a little push and motivation.

If you made it so far, thanks so much for your time.

Default RE: Finally I am doing something about my weight.

I'm going to start with the weekly postings too! I want to loose 20 pounds before mid August.

I know we can do it!
    Michelle I

DS 1 - 7
    DS 2 - 5
    DD - 1

First of all, congratulations on taking charge of weight. I am not an expert but it sounds to me like you might be eating too few calories, which might result in a muscle loss, slow metabolism and plateaus. Personally, I won't be able to stay on a 1200-1300 calories diet for long. I'd be starving :(.

To lose body fat, you must create a calorie deficit. A deficit can be created by exercising more, eating less, or ideally, with a combination of both. The best combination of all is a small decrease in calories accompanied by a large increase in activity. Decreasing calories slows your metabolism. Increasing calories increases your metabolism. Exercise increases your metabolism. Therefore, eat more, exercise more = double increase in metabolism. Eat less, don’t exercise = double decrease in metabolism.

You can always 'fool' your body by temporary increasing your calory intake in order to avoid slowing of your metabolism. I read an article about it yesterday, I'll post a link if I find it.

ETA: Have not found an article yet but here's a quote from another one, basicly same idea, not as much detail:

"By cycling your calorie intake so that you eat less calories one day and more the next, you'll keep your metabolism on its toes," says Volek. And that'll ensure you keep burning fat at a high rate. The key: Shoot for an average of 2,000 (NB that's for guys) calories a day over a week's time".

And pass on the potatoes, in any form--mashed and baked, as well as French fries and potato chips. They raise levels of insulin in the blood, triggering your body to stop burning--and start storing--fat. Sweet potatoes are acceptable, they have more nutrients and fiber. Eliminate soda drinks.

Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

asha is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Thanks for the support Elena.

I have thought about increasing my exercise. Currently, I am kinda tied up. We are remodeling our home and most of my time other than work and DS is taken up by that. It should be done in two weeks. After that I think I can increase my work out.

I did some basic research and arrived at the 1200 to 1300 number. May be I need to search more on the internet.

Thanks again.