Default Sugar substitutes?

I'm on WW and I hate to spend two points on drinking coffee with cream and sugar - I'm normally not a coffee drinker but DD has had back to back ear infections and I must be semi-functional at work! Anyways, I always said I'd never go there with the sugar substitutes since most of the ones I've tasted have that awful chemically taste, esp in coffee, but I'm hoping there might be something new that I've not heard of or tried yet.

What are your favorite sugar substitutes and why? I'd also be interestd in low points creamer/sugar combos that I can buy at a basic supermarket or online.

TIA!

Laurel
    WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
    Baby Madeline 12/14/04

JulieL is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Sugar substitutes?

Splenda! I use this in my coffee every day. Either with cream and in a packet or the creamer made with splenda (Coffeemate has two - french vanilla, and hazelnut) While I'm not big on chemicals, this is one I won't give up. I just can't shovel in the amount of sugar I would need for a good cup of coffee with I know I can cheat with splenda. It takes a TON better than the other sugar subsitutes. Another more natural substitute is stevia - my disclaimer is I know nothing about it and if it really is healthier or not. You can get it in liquid or granuals (I think). You could google it for more info.

Good luck!

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

another vote for splenda! and if i can, my sister votes for splenda also :)
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another vote for splenda! It is the only sugar substitute that I will use.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

ak_becky_book Guest

stevia is a great natural sugar sub. It is very concentrated so it only takes a little bit. I use it in my tea.

Good luck on your WW
    Rebecca in AK

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have heard that stevia is the best for you, but can't really remember why. I used it when I did my two week "fat flush" cleansing diet thing last summer, to add to hot lemon water, and this fresh pure cranberry juice, ground flax seed & water mixture. I liked it in those, but I have since tried to use it in coffee, and I don't like it. I am going to work on it, though, cause when I have coffee, I need more than just a little sugar.

I think splenda tastes the best of the others, but I am still hesitant to use it, because I have had bad reactions to aspartame, and so all of them scare me. But, people I know who are very health conscious do use it, and I think it tastes good, and doesn't have that nasty chemical taste to it.

Do you like tea ? I learned to drink it without sugar, and really like it now, and some of them have a good amount of caffeine.

Stevia works well. It is all natural, and is recommended to help tame appetites. Just be careful a little bit goes a long way. Too much will leave it tasting bitter. :-)

ETA: I just was flipping through channels and Rachel Ray was talking about Stevia with a guest, lol. They were saying how it is an herb, and the brand used was Stevia Plus. For what it is worth. ;-)
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Thanks, ladies! I've heard of splenda but not stevia so will give both a try. I knew I could get some answers here.

If anyone has any info on health risks of either, I'd love to see links.

Thanks again.

Laurel
    WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
    Baby Madeline 12/14/04