Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Is this a good diaper buying strategy??

Don't forget Luvs, too! I am still experimenting with different brands, but many people like Luvs. Just another one you might want to try!

MinnieMouse Guest

Never tried Luvs..refuse to allow the purple thing in our house :-).

Christine

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Luvs are virtually identical to Pampers BabyDry (made by the same company P&G) and tend to be significantly cheaper than Pampers.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

shibababy Guest

Here's a tip-sign up at the Huggies website and the pampers website. They will send out samples of their diapers, you can always fudge the expected date so as to have them on hand when your baby is born. I fostered a newborn and continue to get samples of baby products and coupons in the mail.

Also, in my area, AZ, the toys r us has a supply of diapers in the restroom totally free and in all sizes (I really don't like toys r us brand), but hey they are free for anyone wanting to try them out.

My foster baby weighed 8oz when born and I only used 1 pack of the newborn diapers-Wal-mart brand (NO PROBLEMS!), then I moved up to the size 1. Here's what I recorded:

Newborn-1pack
    size 1-5 packs
    size 2- at least 6 packs, lost track
    size 3-wore this size from approximately 6mths-currently 9mths (I recently had an 18mth foster daughter who still wore size 3)

Also, check with the hospital where you will deliver and the doctor's office, they may also have samples (or at maybe coupons), sometimes second hand stores or Goodwill/thrift stores will have some diapers that are out of the pack. One place I know charges 3/$1.00 for the newborn size diaper. (you don't have to be concerned about getting the kind with the umbilical cord cut out, just fold down the front of whatever diaper you use.

I hope this helps.

gatorgal99 Guest

This is a great discussion! My little girl is due in June and I'm in the process of registering at BRU. I was going to register for Size 1 & 2 for Huggies, Pampers, & BRU brand. So for the expert moms out there, does this seem like a good idea?

I figured if i found a brand I liked, then BRU should let me exchange the others I don't use, for the brand I like, with minimal cost increase if necessary.

Anyone have experience registering for diapers and then exchanging them later?

Hi...

I have a seven week old son (my first) and I had exactly the same question. I had been advised not to buy too many packages of newborn diapers since the babies outgrow them quickly. I had one package of Pampers newborn swaddlers on hand when I brought my 6 pound 8 oz. baby home from the hospital. The hospital had been using size 1 diapers which were huge on him. So, out to the store we went.

To make a long story short.. I would buy 2-3 packages of newborn diapers to have at home. Leave them unopened-it will be easier to return an unopened package at your leisure than to make an emergency run because you are out of diapers that fit.

My observations on diaper brands:
    Pampers seemed to be larger than Huggies, and for us, the Huggies leaked more. I was changing his outfit 3 times a day because he was wet. Luvs are almost identical to Pampers baby dry and are definitely cheaper. You will want to try different kinds to see what works though. I really like Luvs (even though they have the dreaded purple dinosaur on them:) and Pampers but my sister-in-law said they did not like Luvs.

Hope this helps!

Jen

lisajo Guest

My baby is due in May, and I have been trying to figure out this stock up strategy too. So far I have bought 1 pk of Pampers Swaddlers Newborn (40 count) and 1 big box of Pampers Baby Dry (136 count box). If the baby outgrows the size 1 quickly, I won't be able to return any because I will have opened the box. I think it was a good deal, so I'd rather not exchange the size 1 for smaller packages (16.97 for 136 size 1 Pampers Baby Dry).
    Do you think that 136 of size 1 are too many to have on hand?
    I was thinking that I would move on to stocking up size 2 now.
    What do you think?

gatorgal99 Guest

lisajo,

I saw that big box of Pampers as well. Did you get it at BRU? I thought it might have included size 2 as well. It is a great deal though & hard not to pass up!

TRU & BRU have had some great coupons for diapers these past couple months, which just makes it hard not to buy any. I guess us moms just have to see what works for our babies! Seems like every baby is different.

amy

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

TRU & BRU have diaper coupons all the time, so don't feel like you are missing the deal of a lifetime! It will roll around again. I've actually found better prices at Wal-Mart, even with the BRU coupons.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

gatorgal99 Guest

That's good to know. I was actually going to check out Costco this weekend to see how their diaper prices were compared to BRU & Target.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast