mama2be Guest

Default Pail for CDing:Several questions about pails...

I know within several post that you all have shared which pails you've bought but without going thru all of the post within a post I'd be researching forever...

Several questions...

* What pails do you recommend
    * Are you using two (pee and poop)
    * Are you putting a liquid detergent in them

Any other advice in the pail selection for me...:)

There is a product called Odo Ban from Sams club that I think would be great as a detergent in a pail, used minimally and maybe with another detergent. Someone on PP board mentioned they use this product (I have been a fan of it for several months). I thought it might be too toxic for a baby diaper and actually called the compnay who said it would be totally fine to use...that is what I was thinking about doing...

sparkeze Guest

Default RE: Pail for CDing:Several questions about pails...

Pail I use:

I got a Sterlite trash can with a lid you open by pressing a button at Target. I actually ended up getting two, but I've found that once the first one is stuffed full, that's enough for one load.

Pail liner:

I got a ReUzms white pail liner from cotton-kids.com for about $12. It's a little big for my pail, but if this were to be stuffed full it's too many diapers for 1 load.

For in the pail:

I have used deodisks, which are okay, and a couple drops of tea tree oil, which seems to work the best. The pails I have are really good with keeping the odor in though. I don't smell a thing, until I pop open the diaper pail to put a dirty diaper in, and then wow! It really smells! You could also sprinkle in a little baking soda for the odor.

As far as having 2 pails - I thought it would be a good idea at first but DS poops maybe once a day now. It wouldn't be worth it to have a whole other pail just for those 2 or 3 diapers, so we just rinse out the poop, then throw it in with all the others. BUT - with a newborn, pretty much all of your diapers will be poopy ones, especially if you're BF. So I don't know if you'll have enough non-poopy diapers for a separate pail! I assume you'll probably be washing diapers every other day for awhile at least, since you'll have about 12-14 dirty diapers every 24 hrs for awhile, but I could be wrong since I didn't CD a newborn. And I think most people would recommend a dry pail system, which you wouldn't use detergent for, because of the drowning hazards and so on, so you would only need detergent for the machine.

You should think about trying tea tree oil though - I use it for my wipes solution, the diaper pail, and a few drops in the wash! You can also make non-toxic cleaning supplies with it, it's very versatile.

mama2be Guest

Thanks for the advice, I went to Target the other day and looked at their pails and they looked nice, they had two sizes and I didn't know which one to get. If you get a chance to check you size I would love that. I do plan to wash every other day so what ever would fit into a pail to accomodate tht schedule should be perfect.

Where do you purchase tea oil...

Thanks again!!!

sparkeze Guest

It's a 28 qt Sterlite Ultra Touch top. As far as tea tree oil, I bought some at Walmart in the vitamins aisle, but I noticed that a lot of CD sites also sell it. It's a little pricey for such a small bottle but you would be using drops at a time so it should last you a longtime.

I jsut have a 15qt? garbage can with a lid that you lift open. I throw all my diapers into it. If they're poopy I dump the solids into the toilet first. I don't put anything else in the pail.

On wash day, after I've dumped the diapers into the washer, I pour about 2T of white vinegar into the can. I put the lid on and shake it around. Then I take a rag and wipe down the inside. Then I throw that vinegar rag into the final rinse of the wash (after taking out any PUL covers). :)

This is easy and there are no odors! I wash about every 2 to 3 days.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

BethG Guest

I have the same 28 qt Sterilite can for downstairs. I wash that pail every other day. I also have the same style can upstairs in the nursery in a 54 quart size. I wash that pail about every third day. Both pails are lined with a Bummis bag. You can see them at www.bummis.com. The large size fits the 28 qt can and the Xlarge size fits the 54 quart can. I wash the liners along with the pails (but I don't dry them).

I don't add anything to the pail, but I do add a few drops of tea tree oil to my wipes solution and that seems to help. I got mine at Target also. I have read that a lot of people find the odors of the disks you put in the cans to be pretty obnoxious.

HTH,