Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mama2be Guest

Default RE: CD Users: Knowing what you NOW know, What would you buy?

I know she told me that!!! and I felt guilty for even taking up her time (she didn't make me feel that way that was self induced)...she was incredible. I really really liked her!!!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I decided to revise my list slightly. :) Given the great utility of prefolds and the fact that they are so cheap, I would also add:

1 dozen regular unbleached prefolds
    and
    1 dozen premium unbleached prefolds

:)
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

For a newborn, I would have used a diaper service. I used disposables and had a lot of trouble with Matthew and diaper irritation.

This is what I have now for Matthew who will be 6 months on Monday:

12 White Infant CPFs
    12 Unbleached Infant CPFs
    24 Unbleached Premium CPFs
    6 Unbleached Regular CPFs (I would not have bought these!)
    2 Fuzzi Bunzs (I love these for nighttime and want more!)
    4 JoeyBunz Baby Kicks Inserts
    7 Kushies AIOs - we use these at night with a doubler and they work well for us
    10 Kushies Washable Diaper Liners
    2 Crickett's Hemp Fitted Diapers
    8 Crickett's Sherpa Doublers
    6 Prorap Covers (I am not crazy about these)
    3 Bummis SIWW
    1 Bummis Pull on Pant - I like it but not for all the time
    3 Bumkins Vented Covers
    1 Bumnkins AIO (did not work out for us)
    1 Baby Softwraps

I am dying to add some Motherease Sandys to our stash as well as the covers. I am looking into buying some used to try them out before I make the big purchase.

As far as the poop factor goes, I guess you get used to it. My son has thrown up on me and pooped on me (he was in a disposable at the time!)so to clean up his poopie diapers is no big deal to me. I wear rubber gloves and use a little brush when they are particularly nasty (he has started solid foods so some are pretty gross!). I guess changing all the bf loose poop in the beginning broke me in.

HTH :)

-Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

nohomama Guest

Knowing what I know now, I think I would pretty much do the same thing I did the first time around. For the first week we used disposables until the meconium passed. Then we used a diaper service. We received 3 months of service as a shower gift and paid for a couple months more. I had the time to get used to cloth diapering and also get my act together so that a few more loads of laundry wasn't a completely overwhelming task. I likely wouldn't use a diaper service for as LONG the second time around but as a first time Mama trying to get her sea legs it was the perfect thing.

While we used the service the only investment I made was in covers. I had 6 newborn sized Prowraps to begin with and though they aren't my favorite wrap, they worked well in the beginning. They're also some of the least expensive covers you'll find.

When Lola began to outgrow the newborn size, I purchased the Just the Wraps package from www.earthbaby.com. It included:

1 Prowrap
    1 Bummis Super Industrial Whisper Wrap
    1 Polar Baby
    1 Imse Vimse Bumpy Day
    1 Imse Vimse Bumpy Night
    1 Imse Vimse Bumpy Wool

It gave me the opportunity to try out a bunch of different covers and was a good value to boot. I actually purchased the same package again in the next size after she out grew the first batch of covers. I also picked up several Kushies covers at a consigment store.

When I finally did get around to investing in diapers I bought

2 dozen premium sized CPF
    18 contoured diapers (secondhand)
    6 Snuggle Bottoms fitted dipes
    6 Bummis Stay Dry Doublers
    4 no name brand doublers (secondhand)

As Lola has grown, I've started purchasing samples of other fitted diapers, but the CPF and contours remain our standby.

HTH,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2