Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mama2be Guest

Default CD moms which fastener do you use

I should have started my bio off in the "lounge"...My name is Neve and I am a NUT!!!! Now I have spent all last night and this morning on the internet reading about cloth diapers. DH is probably going to pack his bags and leave me...I'm a nut!!! He is actually being such a trooper and letting me "do my thing". Poor thing he was raised with tons of neices and nephews that pretty much lived in his childhood home so he knows all about babies, I only know what I have learned from all of you (which by the way is tons)....

I see there are pins...Di-D Klips...and Snappy Diaper Fasteners...
    What are your experiences with these...

I thank god I am not having a girl...if I were I know I would want to buy these emboidered covers for her, even the ruffle ones...I found one site that had the cutest covers I have ever seen. I need to rob a bank.

Here is the site for those cute girl covers
    http://store.keesterkovers.com/produ...ts2.asp?Sub=16

IF you all catch me drifting into addiction and I start using expensive words like AIO's, and all I need you all to be there for me and focus me back onto "prefolds...inexpensive covers"....:):):)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: CD moms which fastener do you use

Neve, I either use a Snappi on my pefolds or just fold them in thirds and lay them in a velcro wrap. I have found that the Snappi is great and very easy to use. I use it when I use a premium prefold since I have found them to be too large to just lay in a wrap.

I am afraid that even though I sing the praises of prefolds, after coming back from my Thanksgiving travels, I promptly ordered enough AIOs so that I can use them full-time when we travel.

I now have enough diapers for 3 "systems". :) I have enough to AIO all the time, I have enough to use fitteds all the time, and I have enough prefolds to just do that too!!!

Personally, I like the flexibility of being able to choose what type of diaper to use that day depending on my mood, etc.

Also think about using cloth wipes too. I stocked up on a bunch of super cheap baby washcloths, and I use those now for my wipes.

And my personal experience has been that you get what you pay for in a cover. While the cheaper covers work OK, I find that I get the best results with more expensive covers like the Motherease Airflow and the Bummis Wrap.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mama2be Guest

Beth,

That's my fear that I'm going to keep buying, I was almost tempted to just do all AIO's but when I think of it like washing the cover each time, and longer to dry it made me decide to do prefolds first. I might be wrong but I feel like if I just expose myself to one way I won't get swamped with different purchases. I guess I just know myself too well.

Have you seen these covers my imsevimse??? they are the chesapeake diapering service. I thought of maybe spoiling myself and getting one of the wool ones to try. They looked really really nice.

DH is getting stir crazy from the ice storm we have ben held hostage by so I am being called away from my latest addiction...he's amking me go to Lowe's and Home Depot (far cry from diapers)....ughh...

I have not tried wool covers, but many people love them. I believe that you need to hand wash these, so that knowledge has been enough to keep me from being tempted!

I have also found that AIOs don't take any longer to dry for me than anything else.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

nohomama Guest

I used Imse Vimse covers when Lola was younger. Earthbaby.com has a package called "Just the Wraps" that I highly recommend. It includes something like a ProWrap, a Bummis Whisper Wrap, a Polar Baby, and one each of the Imse Vimse Bumpy Day, Bumpy Night, and Wool covers. It's a great way to try out different covers and see what you like and what works for you.

Wool covers are nice especially for night time diapering. I periodically hand wash mine in Euclean (sp?) Wool Wash, but machine wash and line dry them otherwise.

In terms of the fasteners, I've never used them. I've used prefolds from the get go (with a sprinkling of contored and fitted diapers) and have always just secured them with the cover.

HTH,

mama2be Guest

I'll take a look at the "just the wraps" campaign, that sounds like what I need. They do say for the imsy vimse to hand wash...

The gal who I purchased my prefolds from (MelissaTC) recommended her, and I must say I was wowed by her response and accuracy with info and trying to help me. But she said she thinks I could just get away with folding and putting in the cover.

I purchased 24 European PF from her (used to be made in china she said but now in Europe) and 6 covers. I hardly spent anything but will now take my time and start adding the other stuff.

I want to get some of those paper liners but if you do the math those paper liners are 1/3 the cost of each disposable diaper. Not like that 6cents each is going to get noticed but when you look at it that way it is suprising...

Thanks ladies!!!

You can wash the liners that are only peed on and re-use them. I probably get several uses out of each one. I am still on my first roll of 100 after a couple months.

HTH,

mama2be Guest

Oh I didn't know that...

Do these things stick to the diaper or are they separated from the diaper when you wash them??? When using prefolds???

Do you put them over these soakers/doublers that you all talk about and if you do then I assume they separate fromthem as well???

That makes me feel better about using them, do you get those on line too???

Thanks!!!

You just lay them on top of everything else so that it's the top layer. I don't usually bother to separate them, I just dump them in the pail with everything else.

I order mine on-line. I am using a roll of Kushies brand liners right now. I just received a roll of rice paper liners from naturalbabies.com, but I haven't used them yet.

Many people just use fleece liners. You can make these yourself by just buying a 1/2 yard or so of fleece and cutting them into rectangles (mine are approximately 5"x12" ). I made some of these too. I usually use the fleece liners at night (because Sarah very seldom poops at night) and the paper liners during the day.

HTH,

sparkeze Guest

I actually have never used a prefold, except once in a Fuzzi Bunz, so I don't have any info to offer about fastening but...

I haven't tried all that many covers but my favorite is the Motherease Airflow. I'm not sure if there are a lot of people who like it, but all the moms in my playgroup love them too. I think you will probably find a preference after using a couple different styles. I found that for DS side snapping covers (side snapping everything I guess) work best since his legs are kind of chunky, but his waist isn't. When I started my stash I planned to use a combo on fitted diapers and AIOs, but after a few days of cloth diapering DH and I agreed that AIOs were the way to go because DS kept escaping. But after getting used to the fitteds it's really not much more difficult. Plus, I've learned how to change DS's diaper while he's standing. :) I do love AIOs but it doesn't make much sense to wash the cover part every time! I have 2 covers now and that's actually plenty, since we also use a lot of AIOs. Al the other moms in my playgroup use prefolds, some with pins, snappis, and also not fastened (just held together with a wrap). I think that if I would've started CDing when DS laid still for diaper changes even I could've learned how to use pins! But I feel it's risky to try and learn how now.

Well, after all this rambling, I guess my point is that you should pick a couple options you like and try them out to see what works. What works when your baby is a newborn may not when you have an older one.

BTW, CDing is an addiction! Beware! I never guessed diapering would become a hobby for me. Now I'm even starting to think I could make some! (Not that I need any more!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast