Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: CD moms which fastener do you use

The Motherease Airflow is also my favorite cover over any diaper. You do need to Snappi or pin a prefold with this cover. With a Bummis cover, I can just lay the prefold in the wrap with good results. I find I need about 3-4 covers. When my DD poops, they are sometimes a bit sloppy :) and get onto the cover.

And after my latest purchases, I think I am really done buying diapers :) Now I just need to stop reading diapering websites!!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

nohomama Guest

My first roll of Kushies liners seemed to last forever. My second went more quickly because they kept disintegrating on me. I should have called Kushies as Beth suggested when I posted about it, but didn't. I'm now using a roll of rice paper liners. I think they hold up better to washing that the Kushies but their shape is more square so I'm finding it takes more time to position the liner in the diaper. Also, they're thin and wouldn't work well for a newborn's runny poop.

nohomama Guest

I just recently purchased and Airflow cover and really like it. It seems to have a more trim fit on Lola and it doesn't stain as easily as my other covers.

After reading Beth's post I realized that I haven't infact used any of my prefolds with it. I've use contoured diapers in the Airflow without any fasteners and have been fine though.

With a newborn I'd plan on having about half a dozen covers. You'll be changing them probably an average of 10x a day and their poops are sloppy and can be explosive. I purchased 4 ProWraps to start and was given 2 more. I didn't regret having more.

I didn't purchase my first "Just the Wraps" until Lola outgrew her newborn sized covers. And just so you know, my wool wraps have held up fine to machine washing in cold and line drying.

mama2be Guest

Thanks guys!!!

I think I'm going to register for about 3 woolen ones from Imse Vimse (I like their look) @ 18.95 each and then about 3 Air Flows. And I have four cheap Gerber ones coming with my order. I would agree that I probably should start my "samples" once he is a little older and not immediatly...

I have a super dooper Catalyst washer and dryer that I think even has a "handwash" option...so I feel good about that end of the ordeal even with the wool:)

I agree Beth once I get my stash...I'm not going to be on these diaper boards, I know me..."yes judge I'm bankrupt but you should see my diaper collection"...So if you see me on them order me off...or ignore me :) (BUT not till I'm "done")...:)

Speaking of lurking on these diaper boards have you seen those adorable diapers by ivy rose??? Oh they are cute. I don't know the web site off hand, she seems to auction them at a site (never heard of it till now) WAHMall...oh they are cute!!!!

I too have thought about hiring someone to commision to make covers for me, but I really think they'll be covered up my his clothes, so that catches me.

I agree, the Airflow cover does not seem to stain as easily as some other covers. My Bummis covers now have little poo stains around the leg holes. I don't really care except for purely aesthetic reasons. :) I just tried a Bumkins cover for the first time today and will see how I like that one. Many people also like these for laying a prefold in.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

zydmom Guest

I also use just prefolds in a cover. I have been using the infant size premium (8 layers in middle) prefolds during the day, folded in thirds in the cover, and at night the larger premiums folded in quarter for better fit. Based on my other children, I'm expecting to eventually use those infant sized diapers as nighttime liners. I really recommend getting 3 dozen infant sized diapers! They will work much better on your newborn and they still fit my large (21 pound) 6-month-old. One reason covers can leak is if the diaper is too fat for the small cover.

For whatever reason, I found the Bummis leaked too often; I didn't like the plastic feel inside the prowraps; and I found the cover over the mesh back of the bumkins creeped up, letting moisture come out of the mesh. I wish they'd make Bumkins with no "vent." That is like the style of cover I used with my first 2 children but it's no longer made. I finally took the plunge and tried one Imse Vimse Night cover. Very expensive, but they've held up well, remained both soft and waterproof despite machine washing and drying.

Here's a hint: make mock AOIs by taking all your covers and folding the prefolds in them. Use them, setting aside ones that can be reused to fill again and putting stained/smelly ones aside to wash. I switched all our laundry to the fragrance/additive free detergent and now just throw in whatever covers need washing every time I do a load (in fact, I just put them aside into the washing machine). I invested in 8 covers to make this work.

mama2be Guest

Thanks all for your recommendations.

I got my 24 PF's and have wahed them and plumed them up...
    I got one AIO from the same source
    I got 6 Gerber EZ covers from the same source just so I had some

and am now trying to get stuff that I would like to get (and will register for my shower a lot of it).

I am going to purchase a lot of the Joey Bunz doublers that seem to be endorsed everywhere, some rice paper liners, and am hitting Walmart today to make some fleece liners too....:)

I like the idea of making "mock AIO's...I was actually going to lay out my PF, lay the JB in and lay my fleece in and then roll it up...and stack my diapers rolled like this. Add a rice paper when needed...remove a fleece liner when not needed and do that. It might not hold or be conveneient but that is my initial thing to try :)...

corrie Guest

Hey Neve,
    I'm due with #1 in Feb too and am also planning to CD. I have been slowly building my stash since about August (when I fully intended to just use CPFs and Proraps-ha!). I have been the bargain huntress in this area so I'll pass along my tips just in case you can use any of them:

Oh, first to answer your actual question (based on no firsthand experience of my own) Many people seem to just trifold PFs into a velcro wrap sans fastener. If leaking is a problem, people often endorse the snappi but say it should be used to secure the diaper, not to "tighten" it (it is not meant to be used as if it was elastic). Others say they love the look of pins. Of course, with a pull-up type wrap, you'll need to secure the dipe in some way. Also, snappis reportedly do not work with hemp PFs (something about the fibers) so if you use a hemp dipe and want to secure it, you'll need to pin. With snappis and pins being so inexpensive, I figure I'll just start with having some of each on hand and see how they work.

OK, now for my cd stash/bargains/tips (not that you asked):

1. For a newborn I have 13 NB kissaluvs. I bought one at full retail just to see them, and could not resist ordering more. I got a dozen "seconds" for $78 direct from kissaluvs.com (on their outlet page). I cannot tell why they are seconds although a couple had some ink marks on them that came out in the first wash. I really like the umbi notch and their resale value is so high I figured if I hated them after baby #1 I could sell them on ebay and recoup most of my cost. They sent me about 1/2 dozen UB fleece ones and the rest were the colors (SO CUTE!) I was worried about mec stains on NB dipes, but I just nought some cheap flannel from Joanne's and cut rectangles to lay in the dipes. I figure if they get trashed by mec, I'll just throw them away.

2. I LOVE EBAY! I bought 10 small FBs direct from Tereson (the owner of Mother of Eden) They were first quality ones that she used on her own child (so they were not in heavy rotation as you might imagine cuz I think she had about a billion of them). They came with 10 of the microfleece FB inserts (doublers?)

3. Back in August, I stocked up on the FB print seconds in Meds and Lgs from some WAHM diaper sites. I was a bit worried because well, I'm not even due until Feb, but I had heard raves about FBs and figure if I try the smalls I bought used and they don't work for us, I can sell the prints on ebay new, never washed and probably recoup most of the cost.

4. I bought a bunch of Prorap covers (nb, sm, and med) as well as some waterproof diaper bags direct from ProServices. They sell the seconds at $3 each (and nobody seems to tell why these are seconds either because they look perfect). I just got a couple of the NB sizes (should have gotten more) but hopefully the FB stash will help offset the early cover use and the fitteds will hopefully help contain messes so I can reuse covers between washings.

5. I had ordered a few joey bunz based on the raves, but they are pricey. Until about a month ago, you could buy them direct from the maker on babykicks.com for $22.50/6 in ANY size which was a real savings, but I noticed that deal no longer exists (and I had just put them on my holiday wish list too!) mom-and-me-creations.com makes hemp doublers (fleece topped) that she sells on ebay, wahmall, and direct from her site. I think they're about $2 each and they are comparable in size to small joey bunz (so I'd buy these for small and only pay the higher price for med and lg joeys) They have gotten good reviews. I have also heard that smjae.com sells nice hemp doublers at a reasonable price, but again hers are not as big as med or large JB. I have heard though that the WAHM who owns the business is receptive to custom requests, so she might make some in the same dimensions as med or lg JBs and they may or may not be cheaper.

6. Many diaper manufacturers sell "seconds" directly on ebay so be on the lookout for deals. I know motherofeden (the maker of fuzzi bunz) has sold factory seconds direct on ebay. I also just got a bunch of hemp prefolds direct from babykicks (the maker of joey bunz) on ebay as "seconds" because they were sewn too narrow. I figure, I can still trifold them into wraps or use them to stuff FBs even if they are too narrow to work as a pinned or snappied PF. They cost me less that JBs would only because they were imperfect as traditional PFs (doesn't bother me).

7. I also made my own fleece liners. i have heard that you will want to get microfleece if you are using it as a liner (other fleeces add too much bulk). Additionally, I've heard that some fleece is treated with something to make it water repellant which wont work as a dipe liner. Supposedly, microfleece is less likely to be treated in this way because it is not generally used to make outerwear. That being said, I think the microfleece I got may still be somewhat repellant (water seems to bead on it rather than run through). I'm going to try to strip it if I can and see how it works in a real dipe with a real babe (rather than me just pouring water onto it). Malden Mills microfleece is supposed to be the very best, but I can't seem to find any locally (still looking).

8. I have picked up a few covers and fitteds from resale shops/ebay when the price was too good to pass up. I have also found these stores (and garage sales) to be good sources for gently used slings (if you're into that) I got a Nojo for $7 and a Maya Wrap for $15. I'll also be getting a New Native factory second (available on their site) for $25 and I'm planning to make my own Didymos-type sling out of a long piece of cut microfleece.

9. The remainder of my stash includes things I bought for full price (for shame!) flannel/velour wipes & UBCPFs in infant and premiums. I can't wait for this little one to arrive so that I can cover his/her tushie!

Good luck with your little one and with your CD adventures!
    -Corrie

P.S. I had stumbled upon the keester kovers site several months ago and also thought that they were the ultimate super cute diaper (but have not induldged!)

How often do you want to do laundry? With a newborn, expect 10-12 changes a day, so with 24, you will likely be washing every other day. 30-36 would give you a bit more breathing room in case you don't get to the laundry for a few days, as can happen with a newborn!!!

Are you using cloth wipes too? I think this is actually MORE onvenient with cloth diapers than using disposable wipes. I like to have 4 dozen. That way I never run out and also have them to grab for face wipes, etc. I got most of mine from Baby Depot. They were baby washcloths that were on the clearance table, in packages of 6 (or maybe 8??) for $.99.

HTH,

mama2be Guest

Corrie and Beth,

Thanks guys!!!

Corrie...WOW you are so ahead of me and your knowledge for pre 1st born shows you've done your homework. I can not thank you enough for all of your helpful hints. I need to search the sites for seconds. I guess when you think about it they would only sell seconds that are close to 1st qualtiy because they want your business back and you could judge them based on a diaper that doesn't work. I'll start searching!!!! Please keep me posted on your little one...when are you due? sex??? name???I'll keep you posted as I add to my little stash. NOthing compared to yours....:) Is your DH supportive...mine comes and goes with the concept. At first I thought he was but this week-end I caught him telling someone, "she's going to cloth diaper the baby, but I'm using disposables"...I meant to buy fleece today and glad that I did not so that I can make sure it is the type I need now...thank you sooooo much for your advice, if you think of anymore by all means keep it coming!!! :) I'm printing your post right now!!!

Beth, After I got to washing these diapers once they arrived I ran the numbers in my head and realized I'll need alot more diapers I think....:)Thank god I have time to pace myself alittle before he gets here...I know me and I can't do any laundry every 36 hours NOW let alone post baby :):):)Wish a maid would "pop out" with this guys...

Thanks again!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast