Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: CD moms which fastener do you use

I sew a bit and have made many fleece things. I made some fleece liners and I used very cheap microfleece from Joann's. They work just fine. I would not spend the $$$ for Malden Mills fleece for liners. For a jacket or garment, yes, but not for liners. Some fleeces are treated with "windblock" or are "water repellent". These are usually fleeces that are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than your average fleece.

Microfleece is nice because it is thinner. Other fleece would be fine, it would just be a little more bulky. Now ALL fabrics are generally treated with sizing and stiffeners from the manufacturing process. If these residues are not washed away completely (and it can take several washes) they may repel for a time. Just do the water test to see if there is a problem.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

corrie Guest

Neve,
    So glad my ramblings didn't overwhelm. I dove into the cloth diaper world head-first several months ago and have slowly but surely built up my knowledge and my stash. Of course, I didn't listen to the advice everyone gives to not invest too much in any one system until you see how it works with your baby. I just figured I'd try to get great deals on the systems that get the best reviews and if it doesn't work out, I'll sell them and buy something else. I just couldn't understand how I could order 1 each of a bunch of different types and have enough of any one thing to work with. Plus, once baby arrives, I won't have time to shop for diaper deals. I may live to regret the purchases I made, but we'll see.

Anyway, I'm due Feb 26th. We do not know the gender (I love surprises!) and we also have not decided on a name (I don't love that so much, but that's where we are, so what can I do?) I have so much I need to do to prepare for this child. We have a ton of diapers, a stroller, baby bedding, and a crib, and that's it. Fortunately, I still have 10 weeks! When are you due? Are you prepared? As for DH and the CD, he hasn't said much about it. I think it helps that he's never changed a diaper in his life so cloth or disposie, he'd be learning a new skill. Plus his Mom used CDs on him when he was a baby, and anything his parents have done seems less "weird" to him I think. Ours will be the first grandchild on both sides of the family, and none of our close friends have had kids yet (although we know 5 couples due within weeks of us) so again, he's never really seen sposies used as if that was "normal". I just keep showing him the CDs and how easy they are, and talk up the savings.

As for diaper seconds, I know that kissaluvs.com lists seconds for slings, diapers, doublers, and wipes on their site (on the outlet page). It's very hit or miss but it seems they put things there pretty regularly, so if you're patient you can get what you need before too long. The diaper savings is usually $2-$4/diaper. Babykicks.com has a clearance page on their site, but there's never really been anything on it as far as I've seen. As I said, I bought seconds from her on ebay (seller name babykicks), she did not list them on her site. She has current auctions going for hemp PFs on ebay. Mother of Eden (FBs) no longer sells directly to the public from their website. She does list seconds on ebay though (under the seller name motherofeden). Again, this is hit or miss. She unloaded a bunch of seconds back in October but nothing since then. Most WAHM sites that are run by moms MAKING dipes (vs. Moms selling dipes others have made) have some sort of used/seconds/clearance page. WAHM sites for moms SELLING dipes might also have a clearance/overstocks page. Proraps can be bought as seconds by calling Proservices at 1-800-397-8594. They are $3 each for the classic cover in any size. They also sell waterproof diaper duffle bags for $3 each and PF diapers for $18/dozen (I can't vouch for the quality of the PFs as I haven't seen them). If you find other bargain sources in your searching, let me know!

As for your stash...I just wanted to know what size PFs you got (I assume infant 4x8x4). I hear some people say that 24 is enough, while others say they needed 36. I also hear people say that with newborns, you might be able to get away with just a good doubler (like joey bunz) in a velcro wrap. As I said, my initial plan was to just start with about 36 PFs and some wraps, but as I bought all the kissaluvs and FBs, the # of PFs I plan to get is dwindling. Now that I ordered a bunch of hemp PFs as well (10 in each size), I think I'll just end up getting 18-20 PFs in each size for stuffing FBs and laying in wraps.

Beth, thanks for the microfleece tip. I bought mine on sale at Joanne's for $5/yd. I have washed it in hot twice and it still looks like it resists water a bit. I'll just keep washing it, but it's good to know it's probably just fine.

Good luck to you!

-Corrie

The type of detergent you use can also help. In general, the less harsh detergents will take longer to wash out residues. I have recently switched to regular Tide for my diapers. I noticed when I used it at my in-laws over Thanksgiving it does a much better job getting diapers cleaner than did my All Free&Clear. The All F&C is OK, but not great. I will finish up my HUGE bottle of All F&C from Costco on my regular laundry. :)

OK, I just did an experiment with the microfleece liners I have been using for weeks. When I do the water test, they seem to "repel". But these liners have worked great with no leaks. So I wouldn't worry about it.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

nohomama Guest

Corrie,

Re: how many dipes to have on hand for a newborn, think total number of diapers rather than total number of prefold vs. total number of AIO, etc. The only reason you might want to think differently is if one type/style/brand of diaper works better for you than another, which as you've said, you can't know ahead of time.

We started cloth diapering when Lola was one week old. We used disposables for the first week which I highly recommend, especially if you want your cloth dipes to have a high resale value. Meconium is a bear to clean up...it's the color and consistency of tar and it can be hard to get of a babe's bum let alone a cloth diaper. But I digress...

In terms of the dipes, think 10-12 changes a day. We had a service for the first several monthes and had a standing order for 70 dipes a week for the first 4-5 weeks. Some weeks we ran out and had to use dispoables, others we had dipes left over. Obviouly you won't have the same problem since you'll be laundering your own, but you will be changing your baby 70-85 a week. If you want to do laundry every 3 days, count on needing 36-40 dipes to get you through. Sounds like you already have quite the stash of fitteds and AIOs so going with fewer prefolds is probably fine.

HTH,

mama2be Guest

would it be better to buy darker fleece or the white...
    I would think darker so as to not show all the stains.
    We have a walmart locally that had cheap fleece I'm going to get some today :)

Well, mine are navy because that's what I had! Darker colors won't show stains, but it's only a fleece liner. I would buy whatever is cheapest.

mama2be Guest

Default Corrie:these are the PF that I got.thx to Melissa's rec here (m)

Since you asked...

MelissaTC recommeneded these and for the price I thought I'd try them. The gal at this company could not have been nicer and was always quick to respond to me.

By the way the prowraps have been so highly recommended to me from companies I have contacted...I almost bought some wool covers and two companies tried to steer me towards the cheaper priced prowraps. So I am thrilled that you told be about their seconds. I just ordered 10 small and 10 medium!!! I am skipping the newborn because the small is for 9-14lbs. If I fluff them enough with doublers etc...I thought a smalls might be safe. What do you all think???

Thanks again. Now I need to get doublers, cut some fleece and then I hope I will stop buying diaper stuff...:)OH and pails I need to find that system too...
    From EBAY (I just copied and pasted it)

Each lot contains ONE dozen brand new infant size cloth prefold diapers. Fit newborns up to 15 or 20 pounds, depending on height of baby; will fit a tall 20 pounder just fine. European prefolds, the most durable prefolds available. Diaper Service Quality. These are 2/2 twill weave, which means the cotton yarns are woven more densely in this fabric than other diaper twills. What does that mean to you? This makes them heavier and thicker and they are our longest lasting diaper; ideal for frequent washings as needed for multiple births or if you want to get diapers for your first baby that will last thru all your kids. Due to the greater weight of cotton yarns in the diapers, they take longer to quilt up than other prefolds. The ones in the picture have been washed 3 times; yours will look flat upon receipt but will fluff up upon washing, and will continue to fluff and soften throughout their life. Under normal home-laundering conditions, these will last approx. 4 times as long as lighter weight prefolds. 100% cotton. Measure 12" x 16.5" 4x6x4 ply. We were the largest diaper service in Oklahoma so we have lots of diapers to sell! 2.8 oz. per piece; I don't believe you can buy a heavier weight 100% cotton prefold diaper. I don't think you can find this quality diaper at a retail store or on the internet, for less money!! Thirsty, absorbent, and durable enough to last through all your children!! Thanks for looking!! Contiguous U.S. buyers pay fixed shipping and handling of $5.00 for the first lot and 4.00 for each additional lot. HI, AK, and Int'l buyers pay actual shipping. Combine and reduce shipping if you win other of our auctions. Shipped priority or fed ex ground. Please write me at [email protected] if you have any questions. Prefer Paypal or Ebay payments for immediate shipping, but also accept checks and money orders. Payment must reach us within 10 days unless we agree to other arrangements. We ship every other day so you get your order fast.

Default RE: Corrie:these are the PF that I got.thx to Melissa's rec here (m)

Neve, I will say that Proraps are not my favorite cover. I only reach for them when all my favs are dirty. They are fine, just not a fav. Some people love them though. It really depends on how they fit your baby. A properly fitting wrap is critical to control leaks and keeping those prefolds on if you're not using a Snappi or pins.

Many people say to have a few newborn wraps, because in those first days when they are so teeny tiny, they swim in the smalls.

Things I thought I would love before I actually tried them have not always turned out the way I thought they would. I would wait for your baby, and then buy more of what works for you.

HTH,

mama2be Guest

That's what I am hoping to do...I guess I've spent a total of less than $150 on diaper stuff thus far (need about 12 more PFs), and then I am going to wait and trial after.

I cross my fingers that I've hit the jack pot and that what I've bought will work, if that is the case I really ahve not spent much...too good to be true that that will be the case.

I'm afraid if I get a lot of leaks I will get discouraged so am going to try my best to keep him snug in them. Thank you again!!

corrie Guest

Neve-

It's great to hear you so excited about CDs! I think the Proraps deal is too good to pass up. Even if they don't end up being the very best, they're a great starting point for $3 each. I got 2 of the Nb size because I heard teeny tiny babies need teeny tiny wraps and I liked the fact that they had the cord cut-out for the umbi stump. I wish I had gotten 1 or 2 more, but we'll make due.

I cut up darker fleece for liners myself because it seemed like they would show stains less, but people keep telling me that fleece doesn't stain. The fleece-lined FBs I bought used have a white fleece lining and they are pristine and totally stain-free. I hope you got the fleece you needed. I went to Joanne's yesterday and they were down to 1 bolt of microfleece and said they don't expect more until FALL! (I was very sad).

Happy diapering!

-Corrie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast