Rhonda36 Guest

Default Disposables until meconium passes

Hello,

I love my new gorgeous cloth diapers too much to have icky meconium on them... so I'm heeding the advice of many of you and sticking to disposables until that part is over. How long does it usually take for poops to become "normal"? I'm impatient to try out my stash of "real" diapers!

Thanks,
    Rhonda

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Disposables until meconium passes

That usually only lasts a few days. If you are breastfeeding, usually a day or so after your milk comes in. If bottlefeeding, perhaps sooner.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It took Nate about a week, but he had a high bilirubin count/ABO incompatability so it took a bit longer than usual.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Good idea!

It was definitely no longer than a week - but longer than I expected!! No one told me that Colin would still be passing meconium after he got home (we had terrible nurses).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

parkersmama Guest

I can't remember much about how long it lasted but I did want to add a helpful tip that someone here posted before. Meconium is VERY sticky and tar-like and hard to remove from the baby's tushie. If you take vaseline and smear it on after each diaper change, the meconium is much easier to wipe off. I believe that someone also suggested using oil (mineral or other non-nut oil, I believe). I've already got the vaseline packed in our hospital bag (memories of tar-like poop have me convinced that this will work!!). :-)

Rhonda36 Guest

I've also heard of that tip, and I'm glad you reminded me of it. I'll definitely do that so I don't have to scrub his/her little bum so hard. :)

Thanks, Rhonda