Thread: Poop question

cvharris Guest

Default Poop question

Sorry about the poop question but I'm confused...

I think that Ben might be constipated - he is pooping just a little bit once every hour or two. His poops aren't extremely hard, but they are solid, and not peanut-buttery anymore.

Is he just getting used to more solid poop or is it constipation? I've been giving him a lot of green veggies and pears and prunes, but it hasn't really made a difference. I'm wondering if I should do something else or if this will pass. (no pun intended)

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

signsing Guest

Default RE: Poop question

How is his mood? Is he fussy? Having difficulty when pooping? I would increase his liquids. Maybe decrease some of his favorite foods to see if they are binding him up? My son loves yogurt but if he gets too much he has difficulty pooping. I only let him have it every other day now and its much improved.
    Betsey
    Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

toomanystrollers Guest

Careful on the prunes - usually just a little bit will produce dramatic results :)

IMO - doesnt' sound like constipation - just his body adjusting to his diet.

Maybe ease up on the prunes since a little goes a long way! It's probably just adjustment to the solids or different foods he's getting. If he feels good and isn't fussy, I wouldn't worry. If he was constipated, he would be making those awful faces and straining. No way he's constipated with green veggies, pears and prunes either!

Oh, how interesting that we talk about poop like this! :)
    Mom to R and R

cvharris Guest

Thanks gals! I've been using Earth's Best Prunes and Oatmeal, and we haven't had dramatic results. :) Maybe because of the oatmeal.

He is straining when he poops, but not having a terrible time, I can just tell when he is doing it. I've cut back on the cereal and yogurt, just to make it easier.

Try using prune juice instead. I buy the little cans of it and put it in his cereal with a little bit of water to mix it up.

Yogurt is "supposed" to be every other day. Don't remember where I read that though!!!
    Mom to R and R

cvharris Guest

Thanks Debbi. It is definitely constipation, poor Ben is having a real rough time of it now. :(

We only do the yogurt every other day (I read that in Super Baby Foods). I think our problem is liquids...he only breastfeeds and won't really drink water with meals, we keep offering it, though.

I'm going to buy some prune juice tonight!

toomanystrollers Guest

I would ease up or even skip the cereal for a couple days - and go easy on straight prunes and lots of nursing.

Lets us know how it all "works" out :)