Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Cloth Diapering 101

Oh, this is going to be a great thread, it might have taken me days to get all this out of reading the posts and asking questions.

Maybe Alan and Denise would be open to having a cloth diapering FAQ here on the boards -- it would be great! Or they could include this info in their book -- is it already??

Karen

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Also, do you use diaper pins, or velcro, or I saw a holder that looked like a slingshot on one web site...

Karen

holliam Guest

It's not really in their book, so I actually bought a book just about cloth diapering. It helped me a lot.

I just went to find the book to tell you the table of contents, but DH is reading it now and has it somewhere. Anyway, the book is called "Diaper Changes". I still depended on reading information here and at the diaperpin.com site but the book helped me a lot!

Of course, my knowledge is still just theoretical! I can't even buy anything yet!

Holli

papal Guest

Karen,
    Great idea...i swear i was thinking of the same thing yesterday! Here are some thoughts.
    Let us gather all the information in this thread.
    Then you can put it all into one post and then that post can be pinned to the top of this forum.
    I was thinking:
    1 post for FAQ
    1 post for Abbreviations.
    1 post for Stash

How about everyone get an assignment and we can talk about that.
    egs:
    1. Pocket diapers.. what are they, what types are there, what stuffins are there etc.
    2. Prefolds - what types, sizes, folds etc.
    3. AIOs - types, trimness etc
    4. Wool covers and soakers
    5. PUL covers
    6. Fleece covers.

OK, any takers for any topics?? I don't mind doing a write-up on prefolds and then letting folks add on to that.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Cloth Diapering 101 -- Prefolds and fasteners

I'll address fasteners and prefolds, which are just one of the types of cloth diapers you can buy.

Prefolds. Sometimes referred to as CPFs (C=Chinese), these are the standard diapers that you might remember seeing when you were a kid. They are rectangular and have several extra layers sewn into the middle of the diaper.

Prefolds come in several different sizes, fabrics and absorbancies. The sizes include preemie, infant, regular, and toddler. Then within each "size," there are generally two different absorbancy options offered: regular and premium. The size of the prefold refers to the physical size of the rectangle of cloth; I believe the sizes are standard, but I could be wrong. In addition to that, each prefold has a number attached to it -- 4x8x4 or 6x12x6, for example. The first and last numbers refer to the number of layers sewn into the sides of the diaper and the middle number refers to the number of layers sewn into the middle of the diaper.

Prefolds are available in cotton and hemp (which is usually a mix of cotton/hemp) fabrics. Cotton prefolds come in unbleached (UBCPFs) and bleached varieties. Some people say that the unbleached PFs are softer or wear better, some people prefer the whiteness of the bleached ones. I haven't found a huge difference either way.

Prefolds can be fastened in one of three ways -- by using diaper pins, by using a Snappi (which is that rubber thing that looks like a slingshot) or simply by tucking the prefold into the cover.

Prefolds do not have an waterproof layer on them, so you'll need to put a waterproof cover over the prefold. There are several kinds of covers, so I will let someone else address that.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

papal Guest

Default RE: Cloth Diapering 101 -- Prefolds and fasteners

Adding to the prefolds discussion:
    Chinese Prefolds (CPFs) are the most popular. However there are European Prefolds (EPFs) and Indian Prefolds (IPFs) as well. In my experience, the IPFs are much softer and more absorbant than the CPFs. However, they do not have the color coded serging like the CPFs do and do not have multiple size options like the CPFs. Their infant size run smaller than the CPF infant size.
    Unbleached CPFs and IPFs are referred to as UBCPFs and UBIPFs.
    The unbleached prefolds hide stains better than the bleached ones imo.
    However, the initial number of washes for unbleached prefolds are way more than for bleached. That is because the natural oils are still in there <edit>

<someone talk about EPFs.. i have not tried them>

Color Codes for CPFs: <insert colors here>

Note: I am writing as I think.. i will come back and edit later.

todzwife Guest

Oh! I'll pick wool! I LOVE wool and have lots of it but I don't know EVERYTHING about it. I would only be able to tell ya about what I have. :)

holliam Guest

I'd love it if you experienced moms could also include a post with your favorite diapering sites, annotated with which types of dipes you like at thos sites!

I can't wait to have enough knowledge to share!

Holli

papal Guest

Please do.. and tell us about your delicious Kiwi Pie covers.. and the LMK soaker pattern and how wool works and Sarah and everything!
    Talking about Sarah... my soaker will be ready by tmmrw!!! I am SUPER EXCITED!

todzwife Guest

Default Some of what I know about wool...

There are different kinds of wool covers.
    1. A "soaker" which is usually knitted or crocheted and has a drawstring or ribbed waistband.
    2. A "Wrap" which is closed with snaps, usually side snaps from what I have seen.

Wool is breathable and naturaly antimicrobial, so it doesn't have to be washed more than every couple weeks unless it gets poopy on it. Not all wool is scratchy, maybe Linda will be able to elaborate on the different kinds of wool as I only have stuff from www.kiwipie.com and it's all super soft.

Wool can hold up to 30% of it's weight in moisture before feeling wet. This makes it an excellent choice for night time diapering.

Well, baby is awake. Linda, you want to add some stuff? :)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast