Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    sweetbasil Guest

Default RE: Cloth Diapering 101

Since pockets are the main dipe of choice at our home, I'm glad to share what I know about some brands/types, (and hope that others can fill in what I miss!)....

Karen explained them well in another post- pockets have two layers that are sewn together- an outer, usually PUL (polyurethane laminated fabric) or fleece, and an inner for keeping baby dry- usually a microfleece or microsuede. There's an opening between the two layers, usually in the back of the waistband, that's used for stuffing an absorbent layer used to soak up pee. No cover is needed with pocket diapers that are made with PUL or fleece outers.

Pocket diapers are quite similar to disposables in ease of use...the absorbent layers can be customized based on when baby wets most during the day, etc.

Once wet in or pooped in, pocket diapers must be washed, as the absorbent layer is inside the diaper (unlike AIOs where the insert can be unsnapped, the cover can dry, and then another insert can be snapped in for use).

Pocket diapers close in a few ways- there are snap and applix (the generic name for Velcro, which is trademarked...also known as hook-and-loop or front touch tape) closures. They can also close in the front or on the side, which is usually a preference based on the way diapers fit your baby. (for example, we've found front closures to be more gentle on our baby's chunky thighs than side snaps, though I've read on other sites that side snaps should allow babies to wear the diaper up to 5# above the diaper size's stated weight limit).

BabyBlanket Diapers come in PUL outers, and either microfleece or microsuede inners. These are probably the most economical of all the pockets that we own. Made by wahm Wendi (and Rebecca!), they can be found at www.thebabyblanket.com

Doodle Bottoms made by wahm Cory (also a student, she's quite busy these days) come in side snap or front applix closure and are lined in either microfleece or microsuede www.doodlebottoms.com

Ellas Diapers come in PUL and fleece outers, and each one also comes with a hemp insert. They're front applix closure, are usually priced around $15.95 (including the insert), and can be found at www.ellasdiapers.com

First Class Baby Envelopes are made with the pocket opening in front, and come with either PUL or WindPro Fleece outers and microfleece inners. www.fluffymail.com

FuzziBunz have a patent on the fleece-lined pocket diaper concept and are a favorite for nighttime and daytime diapering alike. They're trim, sturdy, and come with a satisfaction guarantee. These are snap front diapers and come in mostly solids, with the occasional buggy print ;)
    I've purchased them at several sites:
    www.naturalbabies.com
    www.lilbunz.com
    www.nurturedfamilies.com

Happy Heinys are another great pocket dipe- front applix closure.
    I've purchased them at www.lilbunz.com

HarleezPocketz offer front touch tape and side snapping pockets. These have been harder for me to get my hands on, so we don't have any personal experience with them, but they can be found at www.wahmarama.com

Knickernappies are made by wahm (work at home mom) Aherne, and are most like FuzziBunz. The main differences are availability (harder to get), price (generally lower), her prints selection is greater, and the front snaps can overlap, allowing baby to wear one size longer. www.knickernappies.com

Simply Cloth are made by wahm Julie, and are a side snap diaper. Also harder to get (these days), Julie has an incredible selection of prints from which to choose. www.simplycloth.com

Soft Landing Stuffers are either a PUL or fleece outer, and can be made with foldover elastic or turned. Also, they can be front applix or side snap closure. SL diapers can be found at www.softlandingdiapers.com

Stuffins for pocket diapers can vary greatly and are often chosen based on baby's wetting amounts during the day, parents' preference, etc.

Hemp is made of natural fibers, so the urine is able to disperse more evenly in a hemp soaker.
    Examples include:
    JoeyBunz Hemparoos (found at www.lilbunz.com and many other sites that sell FuzziBunz pockets)
    Stuffers that come with Ellas Pocket dipes
    Nighty Newts Soakers and Komodo Dragon Doublers from www.littlelounginglizards.com

Microfiber is softer and less stiff than hemp, but leave urine more concentrated in one place.
    Examples include:
    MOE Microfiber inserts (found at www.naturalbabies.com and other sites that sell FuzziBunz pockets)
    Microfiber towels found in the automotive sections of WalMart, Target, and CostCo (these are great trifolded and stuffed into a diaper- we always use them in pairs)...incidentally, these can tend to bleed in laundry, so it's advisable to wash them alone, with a Shout Color Catcher, on hot water a few times before throwing them in with the rest of your CDing laundry

Prefolds are great for stuffing...they're definitely not as trim as the other options, but offer a great and economical solution for stuffing (especially for those looking for uses for their outgrown newborn sized prefolds). Just trifold (the "wrong" way- horizontally instead of vertically) and stuff into the pocket.

Sorry for the multiple edits...I'm adding as I think of more and as the boys let me ;)

parkersmama Guest

Good idea, Karen!

I'll talk a bit about covers.

There are *many* fabrics for covers...PUL-polyurethane laminate (probably the most waterproof), nylon, wool, and fleece are the most common.

There are also many different *styles* of covers!

1) Pull-on covers: These are just like they sound...you pull them on over the diaper just like a pair of pants. They are usually pretty snug (but not always as in the rubber pants of old). These are often wool or nylon but could be one of the other fabrics as well. Advantages to pull-on covers are ease of use (easier to get on a wiggly baby), fit is easy (don't have to deal with fasteners), no fasteners to break, and others that aren't coming to me right now! Disadvantages to pull-on covers are that they are not adjustable and can be messy to take off if there is poop on the cover. Examples of pull-on covers are Aristocrats and Dappi Pull-ons.

2) Front snapping/Front aplix (velcro): These are often called "wraps". They are generally close-fitting and very adjustable. They come in all fabrics but are most commonly seen in PUL. These are the type that people sometimes "lay-in" a prefold without using pins or a snappi. The close fit holds the diaper in place without fasteners on the diapers. But wraps are also commonly used over fitted diapers as well and snappi'd or pinned prefolds. Advantages of wraps are ease of use (especially aplix ones), tightness of fit, adjustability, and often trimness. Disadvantages are they sometimes gap around small thighs, can be hard to get on a wiggly baby, and the baby sometimes learns how to undo them! Examples of front snapping are Proraps Snaps. Examples of front aplix are Bumpy Day & Night and Proraps Classic.

3) Side snapping/Side aplix: This is a very popular diaper cover and, IMO, the one most often made by WAHMs. They are very commonly seen in wool & fleece but also in PUL. Because there are usually snaps both at the waist and the legs, these are highly adjustable...the waist can be looser for a buddha belly and the thighs tighter for skinny thighs and vice versa. Side closure covers have a looser fit (usually) and do not work well for "laying in" a prefold. They are generally for use with a snappi'd or pinned prefold or a fitted diaper. Advantages of side closure covers are adjustable fit and breathability (since they are looser). Disadvantages are that they can be very hard to get on a wiggly baby and that the diaper must be affixed in some way since the cover isn't tight enough to hold it alone. Examples of side closure covers are MotherEase AirFlows and SugarPeas wool & fleece.

ETA to add I forgot about!:

4) Pants: Especially in the winter, some people use pants made of wool or fleece as a cover. Not necessarily pants you buy at the department store, though! These are generally found at WAHM sites. They are used in place of a traditional cover and aren't skin-tight but also not extremely loose. They must be used over a fitted diaper or a snappi'd or pinned prefold. Advantages are that it eliminates one layer of clothing and they are often quite cute. Disadvantages are they are expensive, not easy to find, too warm for summer, and you loose the whole bottom half of your outfit if they get pooped on! Example is Righteous Baby LillaPants.

HTH!

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What about stuffing options for pocket dipes?

I would love to hear more about that.

~ deb
    mommy to brendan 12/7/03

liya Guest

Adding:

Baby Blanket diapers (www.babyblanket.com *i think LOL*)

And also saying something honest. Each and every pocket is sincerely the same thing. The thing that will definately vary them is their design and complexity when sewing. But they are essentially the same thing. You can have the suede lined or micro lined. Miro is a bit thicker than suede and does make the diaper bulkier. Its also more suceptable to gather up pilling from other diapers. Sude is thinner and IMHO better than the micro BUT when wet it does feel alot different and does tend to sometimes be a tad rougher on the skin(when wet)...

There are alot of babies that are sensitive to fleece. So please be aware that pockets and fleece lined diapers may not work for every baby.

Pocket diapers can come in prints, solids, serger and turned and topped stitched. There are also some wahms that make POCKET DIAPERS that all all hemp(no PUL and fleece just a different fitted diaper style). These are esentially the same concept as a PUL or FLEECE pocket diaper but differ in that you must use a cover.

Printed Pockets per say are more suceptible to wick than a plain PUL pocket these are the print variations:

-Laminated---> tend to be stiffer than other printed pockets
    -PUL layer and Print---> softer but depending on the stitch used when sewing are more suceptible to wick.

Plain PUL(or just colors) tend to be soft and flexible and in my personal experince tend to wick less than prints.

You should place your PUL pockets in the dryer when you wash them to close the holes that have been made when sewing them. This will keep your pocket less suceptible to wicking...

liya Guest

Default RE: Some of what I know about wool...

Adding..

Wrap(aplix)
    Side snapping
    Front snapping
    Pull on
    Soaker
    Pants

WOOL

There are tons of different kinds of wool from softest to stiffest.

Cashmere
    Merino
    Jersey
    Virgin
    Broad Cloth
    Flannel

There is also Recycled Wool from sweaters, pants, skirts etc. that can also be used when making covers. The softness of the fabric will depend of the type of fabric and how the fabric felts up when washed before making the actual cover :)..But the order above is usually the norm of softness.

Hoe thin the wool is will have an effect on its absorbancy :) Flannel all though the roughest wool is an excellent cover for night time. Since the wool can hold up to 30% of its weight in moisture the more it weighs the more wetness it can handle...

The care for wool is very simple. Like said above you dont have to wash it every time you use it. Its natural antibactirial properties protect it from germs that might accumulate in other fabrics. The natural oils(lanolin) in the fabric protects it in many ways and also helps its absorbtion. Lanolin can be used about 1 time a month or every 1.5 months to help the cover maintain its natural properties.

Wools breathability as of now in uncomparable and its excellence of fabric properties has made it be one of the most popular fabrics for making covers.

liya Guest

Ill take fabrics :)

The most popular fabrics for making diapers are :

Flannel: Cheapest fabric, its absorbancy is great for extremely light wetters. It tends to pill more and tends to not hold up its structure fabric wise, meaning when you wash it it will tend to look older than the rest of your diapers. The condition of your diaper will depend on the type of flannel you have.

There is a flannel called Killington Flannel that is less suceptible to pilling and is thicker than the regular flannel. Diapers made of this fabric are usually more absorbant and hold up their shape better than regular flannel.

Burley Knit Terry(BKT): Very thick and heavy fabric. Because of its properties it makes a very absorbant diaper but extremely thick.

Baby Terry: Towel like feel. Its absorbancy is again recomended for light wetters. When washed it will absorb more. The fabric tends to take longer to break in than any other fabric i have tried. In time is more suceptible to becoming scratchy and rough.

French Terry: Towel like feel. Softer than the baby terry and also makes up for a more absorbant fabric. This fabric is usually used to make doublers or main soakers inside the diaper. It doesnt tend to become scratchy like baby terry.

Hemp---> Most absorbant fabric and naturally antibactirial. Its absorbancy and trimness makes this fabric an ecxellent diaper fabric.Because of this absorbancy it does have one main disadvantage. The fabric is more prone to build up causing to have smell issues and soap residues if not washed properly.

Hemp Jersey: When you think of this fabric think of your favorite t shirt. Its very nice and soft but also very thin. This makes this fabric less absorbant than any other hemp fabrics.

Hemp Terry: Very towel like feel. Similar to baby terry but extremely more absorbant. Im not very fond of this fabric because of its texture :).

Hemp Fleece: Great absorbant fabric for diapers. Its brushed terry in one side and knit in the other. Its great an absorbant does tend to get stiff through time but it makes an excellent diaper fabric.

Hemp French Terry: This is one of my favorite diaper fabrics. Its the same fabric as hemp fleece just not brushed. This makes the fabric trimmer than hemp fleece but equally absorbant to hemp fleece since its weight is the same :)

Sherpa: Nice plushy fabric. Extremely soft and absorbant can come in a variety of combinations(some sherpa fabrics contain polyester). This fabric compares to hemp and is less prone to build up.

Organic Fabrics: Most fabrics come in an organic option. Organic means the fabric was grown naturally without persticides. this shouldnt be confused with unbleached fabric. There can be fabrics that have not been grown organiclly and that are unbleached :).

Bleached fabrics ususally loose a some fabric fibers because of the process they undergo when bleaching it. Some have noticed that bleached fabric tends to hold less weight in water than unbleached fabrics which may be explained by loss of fibers in the bleaching process....

Micro and Suede

These fabrics are a usually 100% polyester and are used to line doublers, pocket diapers or the diapers themselves. Their properties allow them to wick moisture away into the diaperand mantain a dry feeling to the touch. It also less like to stain :). Mantains shape and color very well. Both of these fabrics are essentially the same the "finish" is what differs them.

Velour

Incredebly soft fabric can come in 100% and a combination of 80% cottom and 20% polyester. It holds up very well in the wash can help in a suddle way to wick away moisture(not for long though). It can mantain its shape very well and also has some properties to keep it from staining. This fabric makes GREAT wipe fabric.

PUL

Industrially made fabric with waterproof properties. Great for covers and pocket diapers :).

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Cloth Diapering 101 -- Prefolds and fasteners

EPFs have a tighter weave than CPFs and supposedly will last longer than CPFs or IPFs. Thus, they might not feel as soft initially. Also, it may be harder to snappi initially, although I was able to do it if I was careful. I got them in the preemie size so that I could use them for a few weeks and then use them as doublers. They do have color coded serging and I think they also have multiple size options (although this I'm not sure about).

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
    born 22 February 2004

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

amywein Guest

Someone could also do one on washing routines/products. Just a thought.

liksmom Guest

I can't really add to this thread but I wanted to say what a great idea! I wish something like this was available when I got started. I hope someone does something on washing and detergents. This is so helpful...I am still learning.

Oh, wow! This is so great! I'd like to second the plea for a Washing/Care FAQ or topic. More so products that should/should not be used on the diapers (I'm particularly interested in what creams are good) since a lot of diapers come with wash/care instructions.

My husband will be a SAHD, so he'll be doing most of the laundry, so I'm going to post a USE THIS, NOT THAT list in the laundry room! :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I've begun compiling my stash based on your recommendations to my first post and then more reading on my part. I'm following the "Liza" model initially . . .PFs and mostly Proraps with a few Green Earths and Bummis Whisper Pants. I have already received my Darling Diapers wipes (they are yummy!) and bought a "pail" and wipes container.

Just a FYI for those who can't find the Sterilite wipes container at Target . . . my DH found it with the Kitchen plastic wear (Rubbermaid, etc.). It wasn't with the other Sterilite products (trash cans, larger storage items) like I'd assumed.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions; you guys are awesome!

Megan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast