Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kicking legs and diapering

Lately, my husband has had to help me change my son. He thrashes his legs up and down. When he poops a lot, it is impossible to change his diaper without my husband's help. Now, he doesn't do this all the time, but I wanted some tips on how others change diapers on an ever so active baby on the changing table.

At home, I deal with it, but I can't imagine how I will deal with this if we were out and had to use those smaller changing tables. I have one in the closet inside an Ikea shelf unit. The shelf I use is their computer desk.

He can't crawl yet, so I can't imagine how I am going to manage when he is actually mobile.

TIA
    Megulis
    Mother of 2 boys & girl, 9/03, 1/06, & 8/08

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Kicking legs and diapering

This is why I didn't get a changing table! Once Nathaniel was mobile enough that he'd squirm or try to get off the changing table, I started changing him on the floor or on a bed.

Once he became mobile and didn't want to stay in the same place for diaper changes, I started using Burton White's methods for changing (i.e., it's not negotiable). He does get a little squirmy sometimes, but for the most part, he'll lie still enough for me to change his diaper.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

I've never changed Tristan on a changing table...not even once...so I can't really give info on the how to from the table. But I change him on my bed which is high and perfect for it. He too started really kicking and squirming a few months ago. It has calmed down a lot but he still kicks at me. the good news is I do think it has gotten better.

Switching to pocket diapers is what saved me too...
    Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Looks like my son is about the same age :) Don't you love it when you are changing them and they start to crawl away. The little naked butt is so cute! I change Noah on the floor or my bed. If I'm out I try to change him in the back seat of the car. I saw someone changing their baby in the trunk once. It looked really spacious but with the stroller and everything we just have too much back there. If I'm desperate I'll use the changing table in a bathroom. Surprisingly Noah does ok on those. I make sure I have all my supplies out and ready and never take a hand off him. I've been to restaurants where the bathroom does not have a changing table. I layed out disposable changing pads and spread a flannel recieving blankets over and changed him on the ground. It worked but it's gross.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We use our changing table almost exclusively, and I'm glad that we do. Colin has learned that when he is on the table, he needs to cooperate and can't run away from us. When he went through a super-squirmy period, I would hold him down with my left forearm while I changed him. Or I give him something "forbidden" to play with or let him "read" a book.

We also used Burton White's philosophy - that diaper changes are non-negotiable. Colin has too many diaper changes in his future for it to be a battle every single time!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

What's the Burton White's philosophy? How do you implement it?

My son doesn't crawl yet, and thank God! I just cringe to think of poop getting all over the place! Yuck!

Thanks for the replies!
    Megulis

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

http://tinyurl.com/2b7mv In the book, he explains both his philosophy and how to implement it. Most library systems also have a copy in circulation, if you aren't sure if you want to make the investment.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Any more thoughts on this??? I really need some pointers. At this point, I feel like I don't even want to change him! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    Megulis

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Did you check out Burton White yet?
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Yes, B&N has it on order. They will have it in 2 weeks. I need solutions in the meantime.
    Megulis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast