proggoddess Guest

Default Anyone read Infant Potty Training? Does it work?

I found this link:
    http://www.timl.com/ipt/

From what I read on this page, it's basically classically conditioning your baby to use a receptable to eliminate, and not use a diaper. Sounds too good to be true, but on a scientific level, it makes sense.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has tried it out and does it work? Is it a big hassle to do? I am dreaming of saving a fortune on diapers and baby wipes. :)

Thanks!

jmofarrill Guest

Default RE: Anyone read Infant Potty Training? Does it work?

I have the book and I've skimmed it, but I did not try it out with Anwyn. With that said, I'm going to start exposing her to the potty as soon as possible - I have two months off this summer, so I'm going to work on Elimination Communication. There are a few boards you can visit that discuss EC'ing. Here's one at Mothering.com: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=227

If dh and I have another child, I am planning to do the EC route instead of diapering.

mommyj_2 Guest

I haven't read the book, but I've had DS going to the bathroom since he was 7 or 8 months old (I can;t remember when I started). At first, I took him to pee right when he woke up in the morning and after naps. That went really well, so I decided to try it all day. He hardly ever pees in his diapers any more (and he often goes diaperless), so I was instantly able to cut way back on diaper washing.
    In a lot of non-Western countries, this is the norm. It feels like a lot of work at first, but after a few weeks, you'll start to figure out the cues your baby gives when s/he has to go to the bathroom. My DS always fusses when he has to go. I didn't know that until I started ECing. I also realized he doesn't pee in his sleep. He's slept without diapers on several nights.

papal Guest

Yes it works.. but i would not get rid of all your diapers and wipes!!
    I have been ECing with Leela since she was 3 months old.. it was working pretty well, but it was just too cold to leave her diaperless. I started ECing again around 51/2 months. She rarely pees in her diaper at night.. she starts fussing and dh takes her to the potty-chair and she pees there. During the day, it is a hit and miss.. i get busy and sometimes miss her cues.. or she gets busy and pees without a cue.. but since it is warmer.. i do leaver her diaperless much more. Also, babies can hold their pee for a little while. The other day, Leela was fussing and we did not know why.. so dh carried her around. When he sat her down again, she started fussing again.. this time he took her to the potty chair and she peed. So she was able to hold her pee for a good 5 minutes.