Default AAP Caring for your Baby Book!

I am so disheartened after reading the section on cloth diapering in this book. Has anyone else looked at it? The main posts are:

* CD's aren't really making an environmental impact once you factor in energy and water costs
    * Disposies are better because they keep moistness away from babe's bum
    * Do you really want to spend your time and energy doing laundry?
    * CD's leak more-hence making it a health hazard

This is just what I remember for briefly glancing at it. Honestly, when info like this is out-no wonder people can't make informed decisions. I know that my ped was like, "why bother with cloth, it's so inconvenient" and that goes for making my baby food too. As if having a child is a mere convenience.

Natasha

ETA-Spelling.

Default RE: AAP Caring for your Baby Book!

ACK! One more instance for me to be ashamed of my professional organization. I bet that section hasn't been updated since the Dark Ages. Because really, CDs are birdseye flats, pins, and cracking rubber pants, right?

I HATE that environmental arguement! See Amy's (daisymommy) above post for real deal on enviromental costs of sposies! I wish the AAP would notice that the comparisons that come out a wash are all funded by the diaper companies, and start counting from when the parent puts the diaper on, not when the crude oil is pumped from the ground.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

I hate to say this, but I regret spending the money on that book x( It's so mainstream and at times cut-and-dry with no love attached to anything in it--does that nmake any sense? I think I read through it once or twice and now it sits on the shelf collecting dust...right next to my Dr. Sears Baby Book which has the cover nearly falling off due to being used so much (and it's my second copy!). Thankfully Dr. Sears' view of CD's is much more positive!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

so interesting (by which i mean ANNOYING) that everyone wants to talk about the energy required to wash CDs, but no one wants to talk about the energy required to MAKE sposies!!!!!!! even if the energy to make CDs was higher than to make sposies, you make A WHOLE LOT FEWER CLOTH DIAPERS BECAUSE YOU DON'T THROW THEM AWAY! argh. sposie users use, what, thousands of diapers??? cloth users use, what, a hundred total? (for all the different sizes.)

and anyone who thinks that cds leak more than sposies is too tired from washing the poop out of all their baby clothes to even notice that we cloth folks aren't washing poop off anything but diapers, where it belongs.

argh argh argh.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.