Default 10 months to late to start cding?

Once we move and get settled (and have a washer YEAH!) Im seriously thinking about cding Lil'bit....but is it worth it as such a late age? Where would I even begin? I would prefer something easy....I think fitteds are what they are called? Or what would you suggest? Are there one piece diapers or are the liners and covers the way to go? How do I go about sizing? HELP!

DH is all for it if it will save us some money in the long run. Oh..and she is currently wearing Swaddlers size 2 if that helps. Thanks!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: 10 months to late to start cding?

We started a little earlier, at 6 months, and it has been well worth it. Lil Bit has a loooong time left in diapers, and cloth can save you a ton of money over disposables.

If you want a tour of my stash, you're welcome to come up to Gurnee to see it and try some things on her. There is also at least one cloth diapering BBB mama a little closer to you.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

NO!!! I started CDing C when he was exactly that age and I'm hooked now! I plan to use cloth for any future babies we have and figure that even if we're never blessed again I can still sell off much of what I have so even with buying several of the more expensive dipes I will still end up saving over sposies even if I only use them on one child. The only thing that's tough about starting older (IMHO) is that I could never use prefolds. C just wouldn't hold still long enough for me to figure out the folds but fitteds, pockets and AIO's work fabulous. At first I started with mostly AIO style (a "cover" or shell with a liner that snaps in. THe shells can be reused several times if they don't get poopy. I am now loving wool (for covers) so am going more towards fitteds, but certiainly still love my AIO's. I never got into pockets (fuzzibunz, baby blankets) because I could never get a good fit around the thighs before but many mamas love them. Now that C has chunked up CONSIDERABLY on the thigh region I may try some again. The way I started out was spending WAY too much time looking up all the places these lovely ladies recommended then picking a few to try out. I didn't go with a starter package, but that is another way to go. I'm atr work so don't have my bookmarks but I'm sure someone will respond with links for several good places :)

FOr sizing, C had just moved into size 3 when we started (huggies supremes). He was - and is still - mostly in mediums. Just measure her waist (where the dipe should hit), measure around her upper thigh and then measure from her belly button down through her legs and up to the same point on her back for the "rise" or how long the dip needs to be. Most WAHM's have size charts based on these measurements. The weight ranges aren't very helpful, IMO.
    Good luck!
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Go for it. As Lori said, you have a while in dipes still. Just think of all the fun you could have picking them out too. :)

Velcro Pocket dipes are the absolute easiest thing in the world since they are just like disposables in the way they go on. We love our Baby Blanket dipes!
    Mom to R and R

It's never too late! I am getting ready to start my 10 month old DD - have some stuff, need a few more covers. I didn't switch DS until he was 18 months! I think we have definitely saved money even starting late. Since DD arrived in our home a month ago, I have fallen off the CD wagon and used disposies. I can't believe how many diapers I have had to buy - esp. with 2 in dipes! I also hate having to go to the store because I'm running out - saves gas to use cloth too!
    Remember, you won't have to buy as many different sizes of things either. DD fits in many of DS's larges, and just needs a few things in medium to tide us over.
    Have fun!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We started back with cloth with Toby at 11-12 months with no trouble and have already broke even moneywise, even though it has only been 2 1/2 months! So if I can avoid the urge to buy cute diapers I will not pay anything more to diaper Toby. At the $40-60 month we were paying for disposibles that is a huge cost benefit! We will CD #2 once we are home from the hospital. I think trying out a sample of a few types is best then you can invest in what you like best. We ended up with mostly Wonderoos pockets, ME onesize and some prefolds as back-up. We wash every other day.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.