MariFP Guest

Default About fleece covers and longies

I have a few questions as I never used fleece covers and I am tempted to have some longies for the winter months to come.
    What kind of fleece it needs to be? I've heard you can just use a fleece pants (Old Navy, Gap, etc.) and they work great.
    Do you need to wash after every use?
    And last question: does it really work??? :-)
    TIA and sorry for the dumb questions.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: About fleece covers and longies

No experience with long fleece pants, but I imagine that it would work, as long as it isn't the repelling type of fleece. But a couple of mommies here (at least) have used them successfully, I believe.

As for washing it, I would imagine it's the same with fleece covers. I usually wash it every 2-3 uses, as long as it doesn't smell like pee. This is partly because DD is not always a heavy wetter in between changes, so the fleece doesn't get icky after every diaper change. Still, you definitely would have to wash it far more often than a wool cover. If it doesn't smell that much like pee, I'll hang it up to air dry and then reuse it later.

Does it work? I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Sounds like it'd be a great solution to reducing the bulk around that area during the winter.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 7 months and counting

I hope you don't mind, I just copied my old response from this past March (when I discovered how great fleece pants can be!)

Fleece pants as covers--I bought some fleece pants at Old Navy and Children's Place when they were clearancing out all their winter stuff, for $2 each! And the matching fleece pullovers to go with them. After reading on the MDC boards that you can put 100% polyester fleece on over a diaper without any cover (the pants become the cover), I decided to give it a try. I LOVE doing this now! I put Josh in a hemp fitted diaper, then put his fleece pants on--and thats it! Sooo simple. And even after 2 hours, when I change him, the diaper is wet, but the pants don't even feel slightly moist to the touch. They feel bone dry. So, on goes a new fitted, and back on the pants go. Just as easy as an AIO.

Now if the diaper was soaking wet and the pants got wet too, then of course you'd have to put them in the wash. But this has yet to happen to me. Possibly because I use fabric softener in my laundry, so maybe the fleece repels better? This also wouldn't work with a young breastfed baby with runny poo, because you really need a cover with leg gussets to keep it all in. But on an older baby, it's great! Hopefully this little tip will make some Mamas day much more simple!

By the way, just wash the pants in with your kids regular laundry. Which is also how I wash my regular fleece covers (non pants).
    Also, make sure the tag says 100% polyester. Not a polyester blend with cotton, rayon, etc., or you will have leaks! The pants I bought for my son from Old Navy are a thick polar fleece. I think if you bought the very thin microfleece type, the wetness would wick right through the pants--big leaks! So, only get the thick fleece. Enjoy!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

MariFP Guest

Thanks for the replies!! I am doing few pants in fleece and I want to buy the right fleece for this to work. It will be great for DD on this winter.
    Thanks again!

If you are actually making them yourself, then the very best fleece for the job is Windpro fleece. Have fun!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12