missmelis01 Guest

Default About disposable diapers -- what causes accidents...

My DS is 18 pounds and I use Huggies Supreme diapers, size 3 (for 17-28 pounds). However, about every other day, he poops out of his diaper. :-(

I have been trying for months to figure out what causes such accidents. Is it the size/fit of the diaper, the force with which my son poops, his position while pooping, some combination of all of the above?????

What is the best way to avoid such accidents, if at all possible?
    Should I try a different brand of diaper? Different size?

TIA!

Default RE: About disposable diapers -- what causes accidents...

Melissa, is it up the back or out the legs? I think no diaper has been engineered to help with the up-the-back thing (why can't someone design a rubber gasket or something - LOL!) To be honest, it got a million times better when Theo's diet started containing more and more solids. If it is out the sides then I think it might be the fit of the diaper, maybe try a couple other brands...its a bummer because they come in such big packages.

Good Luck!

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Not sure where the accident is occurring-- out the sides, up the back, up the front (eww!)?

In general, our experience with these kinds of accidents were up the back, and were because we needed to move up a size because DS was too tall for the current size diaper. If you use a diaper with stretch, there's usually lots of room around the middle, so you may run out of room lengthwise first. We've always moved up in size before the weight on the package indicated it b/c DS is so tall. The exception is the last size change, which happened because DS can load a Size 4 diaper with urine faster than you can blink an eye, so we moved to Size 5.

If it's out the legs, it's probably the fit at the legs. We had to learn the hard way to make sure the leg gathers of the cuff of the diaper were always pulled out (not tucked in) or we had leaks of both kinds. Otherwise, see if you've got a tight fit at the legs, but be sure it's not causing red marks that are too tight.

I'm a Pampers gal myself, since I work for the company. We tend to stick with Cruisers unless we're testing out the other products, so I don't have a lot of personal experience comparing other brands like Huggies on things like fit.

Based on conversations here and with friends IRL, different manufacturers' diapers tend to fit different sized babies better. Sometimes it's worth it to try another brand (and I mean any or all of them, not just mine!) to see if the fit is better for your particular kid. Good luck!

*Edited to make sure I'm clear about my intentions in this post :)
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

missmelis01 Guest

Thank you both. I guess in my original post I left out some important details!!! We do have the accidents up the back, but the ones I was referring to are the accidents out the sides.

My son is also extremely tall (95+%), and I had said to my mom that I thought he was too tall for the size diaper I was buying, but I always bought according to weight, and never really thought about height.....

About the gathers around the leg, I already learned the hard way to make sure they were out and not tucked in! :-)

I think when I finish up these Huggies, I will try a couple other brands, and definitely a larger size.

Thanks again!

steph01 Guest

I would try Pampers Cruisers. We had horrible luck with Huggies, but Pampers Swaddlers are great! Size 3 seems like the right size, I would worry that at 18 lbs, size 4 would be way to big, but you could try a small pack to see if that works. If the leaks are out of the legs, then maybe the diapers are too big???

HTH,

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default A tip from a CD'er

Buy four wraps to put over the disposables so they don't blow out. We have to wear wraps whenever DD is in disposables, because she has blowouts up the back (aka poopsplosions). Diaper brand is irrelevant for us.

We put one of these (Bumkins) over sposies whenever we travel or otherwise need to use disposables. And they're cute.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15422.jpg

quikeye Guest

Hi, we prefer Cruisers since they're longer in the back (like, a lot longer than the Supremes) and they contain those out the back poops :) Sometimes the out the back poops were a sign we needed to size up in dipes, but now they only occur with Supremes/non-Pampers dipes. I really like how high they go up ds' back; he has a long torso and always seems to have upwards-travelling bm's :) I liked Huggies' extra "pocket" in the back of the Supremes, but they didn't stop the onslaught like the Cruisers do :)

DS is about 18-22 lbs (going to our 9 month checkup on Monday!) and we're still using Cruisers in 3's... I think I am going to try out some 4's when I double-check his weight at the ped's. His chunky thighs are getting pretty constrainedin 3's lately :) Good luck!

missmelis01 Guest

Thanks everyone. I LOVE the Bumkins. I am definitely going to pick up a couple pairs. :-)

Thanks again!