Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mama Cloth Pads ROCK!

Well folks, I did it. I ventured out and tried cloth pads for myself. And I LOVED them! I don't think I'll ever go back to scratchy paper pads agains. It was was the ultimate in comfort, no wear near as yucky as I thought (after using CD's nothing phases me!), and really helped shorthen and lighten what is normally a terrible week every month for me.

I won't go into anymore detail unless someone asks :)

I will share that the #1 brand I fell in love with was HappyHeiny pads from www.lilbunz.com My second favorite was from www.daisygirldesigns.com I got the hemp pads. I really like having fleece on top (the HH pads). The daisygirldesigns pads have hemp inside with a flannel print top, so it's very cute, but doesn't keep you feeling quite as dry.

Well, that's all for now. Didn't want to make anyone squeamish. Just wanted you gals to know that the cloth option is a great one in my book!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Default RE: Mama Cloth Pads ROCK!

Do you rinse them? Do you put them with Josh's dipes to wash?
    Mom to R and R

papal Guest

Thanks Amy. I just ordered some. I swear, i really don't know why the heck we have to deal with the plastic-paper crappy pads...they really tick me off. The last 4 days have been so irritating... especially nights.. your post came just in time. Now I can't wait for next month to try these out.. heehee. :)
    I got the HH pads in all 3 sizes since I wasn't sure what would work.

Funny you should post, because I'm just venturing into this, as well! I ordered a Happy Heiny pad, a MOE pad and some sea sponge tampons to try. The only one that arrived in time was the Happy Heiny pad, and I agree- MUCH better than disposable pads! It's very soft and comfortable. I'm also wondering why I didn't try them sooner. I was expecting the yuck factor to be rather high, but was pleasantly surprised at how well the fleece keeps the wetness away from me, IYKWIM.

To wash you simply do a cold rinse, then wash them with the cloth diapers. I hang mine to dry because of the PUL, but if I'm tumble drying anything on low then I'll probably throw the pads in too.

I have to admit I keep hoping I won't get the chance to try them out again for some time, since we are TTC! But at least if I need them this month then I'll get to try new "fluff", which might make me feel a little better. :)

Amy- were those the only two types you tried? Has anyone else got recommendations too?
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Question for Amy, or anyone else who's tried mama cloth

(Warning, possible TMI.)

How heavy is your period? I'm interested in trying this option, but I have really, really heavy periods. I've been told the postpartum flow is heavy, but it was lighter for me than any period I've had in my life.

mommyj_2 Guest

Default RE: Question for Amy, or anyone else who's tried mama cloth

If you have heavy flow, the hemp should be okay. You might want to try some that have some kind of waterproof backing. The ones I have with waterproof backing are from Jen at Mom-and-me-creations. I'm guessing she won't be selling them for a while, since her son Samuel is still battling cancer. Maybe someone else has some other brands that would be good. When Jen does start selling pads again, I would recommend trying a set. She has some totally cute prints, and her workmanship is always great.
    That being said, my absolute favorite pads are the moon pads from Freshies. I only have 2 sets, since she doesn't have them in stock all the time, but these are my favorite. I have tye-dye hemp sets.
    I've been using mama pads exclusively since AF came back after having DS. I would never go back.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yup I use them too! :) Just started, actually. The ones I have work okay, but I would prefer fleece-topped ones I think. I've been tempted to cut strips of fleece and lay them on top, but I haven't gone that route. My daily ones are flannel while the monthly ones are more like calico, which are better than flannel for feeling dry, I think. But still, I think some fleece on top would be nice. Maybe I should try some HH pads.

ETA: Either way, it's sooooo much better than disposables! I was getting (this may be TMI) pimples or something similar from the irritation those plastic pads were causing.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Amy quick question about the HH

I looked at the description of the HH pads, and they say two layers--fleece + PUL. Where is the absorbent part?

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

todzwife Guest

I made my own and found that they really are more comfortable than paper pads. I have had an extremely heavy flow this time around and found that pads backed in PUL work really well. I love my plain flannel ones when the flow is lighter :D

kthomp Guest

Has anyone tried the ones from Mother of Eden? I have been thinking about trying them, and I would love to hear a first hand review!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast