Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Mama Cloth Pads ROCK!

I have a trio of those and I find them comfortable. However, the only thing I don't like is that the pad snaps into the PUL layer. When you're pulling your undies up and down, sometimes the pad sort of folds over, if you know what I mean. In terms of absorbency and comfort, though, they work quite well. They also hold in place pretty well.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I used cloth for most of high school (I was a real granola then) and abbandoned it cause of staining issues (ruining my underwear). It sounds like there are a lot more choices now. Maybe I will have to try again but hopefully not for a long time (TTC!- I really DON'T want another period right now).
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I've been using these since April/May and really like them! I have a hidge podge of kids I've tried - mostly bought from www.diaperware.com, but my faves are from www.lunapads.com - the new "slender" design. I found some of the wings too iritating - I must have a narrow stride! I've also been using a divacup (available at lilbunk and many others) and LOVE it! Took maybe 2 cycles to get used to inserting, etc and I ended up totally cutting off the "tail" to make it comfy, but now I love it. I have endometriosis so have always had really painful periods and I swear there must be something to the stories about the dioxin from bleached menstrual products and the pesticides in cotton tampons contributing to that! I have maybe 1/2 day of pain and my flow went from 7 days to 4. You definitely have to be very comfortable with your body to use it, but I'll never go back. I use either lunapanties (panties with the fleece liner sewn in) or non-pul pads (slender lunas) as a backup for it. For over night I use pads (no divacup). SOrry if TMI, but I find that aside form the iritation of paper/plastic, these are so much more breathable so you don't get that icky dried-on blood - yuck!

FOr washing, I generall just rinse under cool water till it runs clear then wash with regular clothes (I have all dark color pads and I get the blood out) or with dipes. Nothing special at all, though did raise an eyebrow when MIL was visiting and folded my laundry, LOL ;)

There are lots of reviews at diaperpin and you can get tons of info in the natural home and body care forum at MDC. Or if anyone wants info on the diva, feel free to ask me - PM or here - I don't mind sharing!

Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    Oh my!! #2 5/05

Okay, since there seemed to be some interest in more info, I'll share :) Sorry if some of this is TMI, but some of you may really wnat to know these things and may be afarid to outright ask...

My Testimonial :)
    I have always had a hellish long 8 day cycle. The first half of the week things are so heavy, I would go thru a SuperLong Maxi every 2 hours! I needed 1000 mg. of Motrin to take the edge off the cramps, and I needed a day of couch rest on the first 1-2 days because I felt so weak and in pain. Not to mention lots of "irritation" from the paper products.

So, I took a chance and tried cloth Mama Pads. What a difference! My 8 day cycle was reduced to 4 days! My extremely heavy flow was reduced to what I always imagined a "normal" average cycle was like for other people. I only took 600 mg. Motrin once, and felt hardly any cramps at all. I felt so much better overall, probably because of the reduction in blood loss. The pads were so soft and comfy, I felt dry, and like I wasn't hardly wearing anything "extra" at all!

Here's What I've Tried:
    Happy Heiny Pads: 1 layer fleece + 2 layers hemp + 1 layer PUL. Very absorbent, very comfortable, stays put in your undies, no leaks. I also like the contoured shape. These are by far my favorite!

Mother-of-Eden Pads: These are okay. They are very soft, and made with microfiber--good for those avoiding hemp. But I don't like how there is only a snap in the front and the back of the pad to hold it into the shell. The middle is floppy-loose, and I felt it shifted around too much.

LunaPads: These are okay for lighter days or cycles, but NOT for heavy periods. I didn't really like them. There is a strip of rick-rack trim in front and back that holds the pad in place in the shell/holder, and it was irritating to me.

Rhythm and Blues: Very soft, folds out to come nice and clean. Pretty absorbent for heavy days, made with flannel, fleece, and PUL backing. Way too bulky though.

Cloth Wear Pads at Lilbunz.com: These like are a HH knock-off. They work and feel like the HH pads, but are a bit cheaper. The only bad thing is they run a bit irregular (as far as the pattern being cut and sewn crooked).

Mama Pads at Lilbunz.com: I've tried the mini-size pad as a pantyliner, and they were soft as well as super trim. Trisha highly recommends the Overnight pad for heavy days, overnight & postpartum, so I ordered one to try.

GoddessMoon Pads: HATED these! They shrunk up so bad it was rediculious! And the absorbent layer is nothing but poly-fiber fill--what a joke!

Daisygirldesigns Moon Pads: Extremely absorbent, soft, I like the contour design, no leaks even without a PUL backing (polarfleece instead, which also keeps the pad securely in place so it doesn't slip around). The top layer is flannel which looks nice, but I would haev preferred fleece. I emailed her, and she said she is working on maiking a fleece topped pad design. Yippee!

Wash and Care Details:
    I bought a small waterproof bag (like what you would carry cloth diapers in when you are out and about). I got it from www.weceedee.com The small Knapsack size, with loop and fleece patch (for scented essential oils).

After taking off a pad, used my mini-shower to thoroughly spray it off and rinse clean. Then I put it in the bag that I hung inside my shower where Josh couldn't get ahold of it. If you have non-mobile babies you could hang it on the bathroom door knob.
    Then after 2 days I washed the pads exactly the same way I do cloth diapers. But I have decided that they go into the wash so clean, I really could wash them with diapers or dark clothes, no problem.

Finally, freedom to live my life in comfort! :D
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

shyviolet Guest

Amy, I am so glad you posted this! I have been considering cloth pads for almost 2 years, but kept putting it off. My cycle was horrible, similar to your descriptions, and I'm afraid to think of how bad it will be after having a baby. I would be barely functional for the first 2 days, have killer cramps which also radiated pain down my legs, have extreme headaches similar to migraines (sensitive to light/sound), and nausea/vomitting. Plus, several cycles before getting pregnant, I started having some type of allergic reaction to the paper products, which is one of the reasons I am choosing to CD, in case my babe inherits super-sensitive skin from me. Thanks for the great product reviews, I think I may go ahead and order some HH pads for future use. Do you think they are absorbant enough to use postpartum? How many pads are enough? I guess it's different for everyone, but I was thinking 6 or so plus a diva cup (not postpartum of course) - what do you think?

kensjen Guest

Diva cup rocks!!

Kate,
    If you can believe it, my periods having gotten lighter after having a baby! I used to get the migranes, leg pain, etc. But I didn't have any migranes during pregnancy (okay, maybe 2 in the first trimester, but that was it), and then post baby, I hardly ever get any at all! I really think everything changes after having a babe. So, it may get better for you!

As far as the HH pads for postpartum...I hate to say this but I don't think they would have been enough for me. Not for the first week anyway. The second week, yes, they would have been great. I used the Kotex Overnight pads for the first week postpartum. Hmmm...but now I'm thinking--maybe if I had used cloth things might havve been lighter then too? Not sure. I'd stock up on other choices just to be on the safe side.

Good Luck!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

jecmama Guest

I don't especially like these, for the same reason stated by pp. The pad flops around too easily. They used to have an AIO style that was much better, but now they have the two piece design.

jecmama Guest

I really like rhythm and blues, especially with the fleece on top. Very comfy, and I like how they unfold so you know they get clean. I don't really consider myself that crunchy, but I much prefer these to paper pads, even post-partum.

holliam Guest

Default LOVE my Freshies pads!

I'll just toss my 2 cents in. I use Freshies, which I love! They're a little hard to find but well worth the effort. I bought them directly from Kendall at http://www.freshies.ca/index.php and have a bunch of custom velour hemp ones, which I love. But the cool thing is that she makes so many different types of "tops" that snap on. So, I also purchased organic cotton Freshies from this site which also has wool, hemp windpro, etc. Freshies options.. so many choices!

http://www.allnaturalmamas.com/cloth_mama_pads.asp

Freshies got rave reviews from all the natural mamas at MDC, etc.

I can't believe it took me so many years to find cloth mama pads!

Holli

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast