Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default RE: my 2 cents

Whoops! Sorry, I misunderstood! Hopefully someone who as actually tried these can answer. I ordered the following soakers: 11" hemp singles topped with fleece for day time, and the 13" hemp doubles topped with fleece for nighttime. I ordered the bodies (holders) in polarfleece.

I also emailed her and she said I could soon place a custom order, and get organic velour on top of the organic cotton, or regular velour on top of the dyed hemp. Oooh goodie! :)
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Mama Cloth Pads ROCK!

My DH actually thinks it's a good idea for me to try these! I've always had horrible periods, which impacts the whole family. And I swear, all I have to do is mention the word "dioxin" to convince DH there's a better alternative out there -- that's all it took to convince him to try CDs.

papal Guest

Thanks Amy! She does look like a little girl now... and it is hysterical because she is just 27inches tall... she is our little doll. :)

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Rashmi, I meant to tell you that I LOVE her new avatar as well. What a cutie! Kaya is as tall as she is, but she still looks like a little baby (thank goodness; not ready for her to look like a little girl yet). Oh, and remember, keep on posting pics of her--I LOVE seeing pictures of her. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

nc_hope Guest

Default Can I ask a question about washing?....

I've read this thread with great interest and am thinking about trying some of the cloth pads mentioned -- this is a big leap for me because I have not been CDing my DS (although after all I've learned here I will be CDing if there is a child #2) so I have NO experience in the area.

I'm wondering how you wash these and keep them looking clean? Especially since most of the ones I've seen are white or pastel. Several people mentioned washing them like diapers, but again, I have no experience there so I need a little more detail. Is it really possible to keep them white?!?!

Thanks in advance for the info!!!

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Can I ask a question about washing?....

Okay, just like CDs, I'm sure there are a bunch of methods for washing these pads. What I do is just get a pail with a lid on it (to keep curious cats and babies out of it) and have a solution of tide and peroxide in it. Every time I change the pads, I'll rinse most of the blood off, either in the sink or with the minishower. Then I'll just let them soak in the pail until wash day. I can actually wash them with my normal white laundry, or even with my baby clothes laundry. No stains, probably because of the peroxide.

Oh, and when I first mentioned momma pads to DH, his reaction was, "Well, we CD, so why not do cloth momma pads?" Apparently, there's not much that grosses him out. :) Overall, we'll end up saving money on disposables, especially since I'm not going after those "cute cloth momma pads." ;-)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo..._garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

I didn't even worry about soaking mine in a solution, and after sitting for 2 days in a waterproof bag, they all came out completely spotless, even the white ones!

I'll include some links for waterproof bags that you can buy that would be perfect for this situation. Like Eileen said, just rinse them out (in the sink or tub in your case--I used my cloth diaper mini-shower to spray them off into the toilet), then plop in the bag.

Every other day, I did a xtra-small wash load in hot water with less than 1/4 capful of detergent. Then threw them all in the dryer. BUT I have since decided that the pads were so clean going into the washer, that it was a waste of water to wash them seperately, and in the future I'm just going to wash them with my clothes--don't use fabric softener though! It will decrease the absorbency of the fabric and cause you irritation!).

And that's all there is to it! Tada!

Bag Links:
    http://www.weceedee.com/javaproduct5.htm

http://diaperware.com/happytushies.htm#momma

www.naturalbabies.com or www.Lilbunz.com Under accessories, choose a size small Bummis bag.

Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

nc_hope Guest

Thanks for the info so far!

So it sounds like a cold rinse (that's how I usually clean blood) and then when I'm ready to wash, use hot/warm water. Is that right? Do you put them in the dryer?

I took the plunge this morning and ordered a few Happy Heinys mama pads and also a Lunapad with liners. I think I'll just start with those and see how it goes.

Yep! THat's exactly what I do. I put them in the sryer no problem.

FWIW, I have several lunapads with dark liners, but even my pink ones don't get stained badly. But, my philosophy with these, as with CDs is - consider their intent! Stains on the inner (functional) part are just part of the process ;)
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    Oh my!! #2 5/05

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You will not be disappointed with the diva cup. I've used it for two cycles and been very happy with it. I also have bad periods and they were really heavy before pregnancy, but are a little lighter now. My NP says after I wean, they will probably get heavy again, I hope not.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5