emelsea Guest

Default A couple questions before I order my first CD's!!

I'm getting so excited about trying cloth, but I have a couple questions before I order.

First: I'll be blunt. DS's poops fill a diaper from side to side. Will FB's and Snap-Ez's keep it from leaking out the sides of the diapers? The little inner flaps on Huggies are vital to stopping messes, and I'd think twice about cloth if every BM makes a mess of his clothing.

Next: I am thinking about trying Babyblankets, and it looks like they are only offered w/ suede lining. How do you all feel about the suede? Is it as nice as fleece? One page said it is not as stretchy and I wondered if there was a real difference.

Proraps. I heard that you can get them real cheap from "the outlet" but I cannot locate anything online. Does anyone know the web addy, or is this an actual outlet somewhere? Will a PF and a wrap contain the side to side poops?

If I use PF's to stuff pockets, what size do I buy? Infant, premium, etc.? If I use the micro towels from WalMart, how many do I use at a time?

If I want to use PF's and a wrap, and I want to use a piece of fleece as a liner, can I make my own from the fleece they have at WalMart, or do I have to buy special fleece? How big do I cut the fleece?

The colored fleece that you can line FB's and Snap-Ez's with - does the color bleed?

Are Kissaluvs worth trying? I just think they look so comfy! If I were a baby, they are what I'd want to wear!

I think that's it for now. I was awake for hours last night because I'm so excited to try this stuff out!

Default RE: A couple questions before I order my first CD's!!

Will FB's and Snap-Ez's keep it from leaking out the
    >sides of the diapers?

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE POCKETS WILL NOT BE IDEAL FOR CONTAINING POOP. THEY AREN'T SO GOOD FOR NEWBORNS, BUT WORK GREAT FOR OLDER BABIES WHO 1) DON'T POOP MORE THAN ONCE/DAY AND 2) DON'T HAVE RUNNY POOP. I WOULD TRY OUT A FEW BEFORE MAKING A LARGE PURCHASE.

>Next: I am thinking about trying Babyblankets, and it looks
    >like they are only offered w/ suede lining. How do you all
    >feel about the suede? Is it as nice as fleece? One page said
    >it is not as stretchy and I wondered if there was a real
    >difference.

MANY LIKE SUEDECLOTH BETTER BECAUSE IT DOESN'T PILL. IT ALWAYS LOOKS NEW! IT DOES WICK MOISTURE WELL AND IT IS MORE TRIM. I THINK YOU WOULD BE HAPPY WITH IT. IF YOU ARE VERY CONCERNED, YOU COULD EMAIL WENDI ABOUT A CUSTOM ORDER WITH FLEECE. I KNOW HER AND SHE IS SUPER.
    >
    >Proraps. I heard that you can get them real cheap from "the
    >outlet" but I cannot locate anything online. Does anyone know
    >the web addy, or is this an actual outlet somewhere? Will a
    >PF and a wrap contain the side to side poops?

THE OUTLET IS A 1-800 # THAT I DON'T HAPPEN TO KNOW. SOMEONE ELSE WILL SHARE IT. THEY MAY NOT HAVE THE SIZE YOU NEED. BUT PROPRAPS ARE SO CHEAP ANYWAY, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT IT. THE CHEAPEST I HAVE FOUND ARE AT CLOTH-DIAPER.COM (JARDINE DIAPERS). BUT REMEMBER TO CALULATE SHIPPING BEFORE YOU DECIDE IF ORDERING FROM THEM IS WORTH IT. OTHER SITES HAVE FREE SHIPPING. A PF AND A PRORAP WILL DEFINITELY CONTAIN THE POOP, ESPECIALLY IF YOU USE A SNAPPI. WE USED ONLY PREFOLDS AND PRORAPS WITH OUR NEWBORN AND WE NEVER GOT POOP ON CLOTHES. MAYBE 3 TIMES EVER IN MONTHS. WE DID GET POOP ON THE COVERS, BUT THAT ISN'T A BIG DEAL BECAUSE YOU JUST GRAB A NEW COVER- BUT THAT WAS WITHOUT A SNAPPI. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND PRORAPS FOR A NEWBORN.
    >
    >If I use PF's to stuff pockets, what size do I buy? Infant,
    >premium, etc.? If I use the micro towels from WalMart, how
    >many do I use at a time?

I WOULD STUFF WITH INFANT PREFOLDS. THEY ARE A GREAT FIT IN MEDIUM FBS AND BBS I WOULD GUESS SNAP EZ, TOO. THE LARGER SIZES ARE WAY TOO BIG AND BULKY. I WOULD USE 2 MICROFIBER TOWELS AT ONCE. LAY THEM FLAT ON TOP OF EACH OTHER, THEN TRI FOLD.
    >
    >If I want to use PF's and a wrap, and I want to use a piece
    >of fleece as a liner, can I make my own from the fleece they
    >have at WalMart, or do I have to buy special fleece? How big
    >do I cut the fleece?
    >
    YES- WAL MART FLEECE IS TOTALLY A-OK. IT IS WHAT I USE. MICROFLEECE IS A LITTLE NICER AND TRIMMER, BUT NOT NECESSARY. IF YOU HAVE A JOANN'S FABRICS, THEY HAVE MICROFLEECE THERE. I AM NOT SURE IF WAL MART HAS MICROFLEECE OR NOT. CUT THE FLEECE TO FIT THE WRAP. RECTANGLES ARE FINE, BUT I PREFER AN HOURGLASS SHAPE.

>The colored fleece that you can line FB's and Snap-Ez's with
    >- does the color bleed?

NOPE. THEY WON'T BLEED AND WHITE FLEECE WON'T STAIN.
    >
    >Are Kissaluvs worth trying? I just think they look so comfy!
    > If I were a baby, they are what I'd want to wear!

KISSALUVS ARE GREAT FOR A NEWBORN (SIZE 0) BUT DON'T ABSORB WELL ENOUGH FOR AN OLDER BABY. I DON'T HAVE ANY, BUT THEY GET RAVE REVIEWS!
    >
    >I think that's it for now. I was awake for hours last night
    >because I'm so excited to try this stuff out!
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Since Gunnar is 3 mo old, pockets may not hold poop, just like Liza said. It will take a few weeks to get your Snap EZs, but you can get BBs sooner, if you buy instock, or FBs, of course.

You may want to get one of each of those types of pockets, in size M

Then, you can also try PFs with wraps.

A dozen infant prefolds are a great investment, even if you decide CDing isn't for you (but, of course its for you! :)) I recommend unbleached ones, they seem softer to me.

If you want to try fitteds, a Kissaluvs size one would be a start, although the absorbancy might not be what you need. Some love them, though. You could also try a Sugarpeas fitted diaper, which are very nice, but a little more money.

Get a few different kinds of covers, maybe 2 proraps, a Bummi's Super Whisper Wrap, a Bumpy maybe.

Get two or three snappis

Check out www.diaperpages.com for tons of great info on PFs, with folds to try out on Gunnar

I have had great CS from www.naturalbabies.com , www.lilbunz.com, and www.kellyscloset.com. There is a post above with a 10% off code for Kelly's closet, and she always has free shipping. Naturalbabies has flat rate shipping, and she ships insanely fast, the fastest of the ladies mentioned above, IME.

You won't have enough dipes for more than a day or so, but you also won't be stuck with tons that doesn't work. Use your dipes for a week or so, and you'll see what you like, then order more!
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Proraps Outlet 1-800-397-8594 :)
    And www.lilbunz.com has free shipping as well. Welcome to the cloth-diaper club!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Welcome to the world of cloth!

I would get some regular sized prefolds, instead of, or in addition to, the infant size. By 3 months, DS could barely get into an infant sized, so regulars worked really well. But, for stuffing pockets, we use infants still. They're pretty cheap, so trying a few of each won't cost too much.

I also like www.softclothbunz.com. They sometimes have shipping specials. Also, I found really good prices on Bumpy covers and good service at www.clothdiapersnmore.com.

Kris

Wow... lots of things to consider. I never used PF's but I can help with the Kissaluvs question. I adore them. I have never regretted buying them. I used them for my son (now 3) and I use them for my daughter (15m). They are still in great shape, they're cute and work really well. I did have a couple of leaks with them (poop blowout) but they were minimal.

I also use MotherEase onesize & Sandies diapers (www.motherease.com). They are worth the purchase as well. I have never had a leak of any kind with these. They actually seem to hold in any kind of blowout my ds or dd had. I use ME covers as well, with the ME onesize and the Kissaluvs and they work great. ME also has great all-in-ones, which are great to carry in your diaper bag for quick changes.

I can't say enough great things about either one of these brands.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree with Liza--pockets may not be the best for BF'd poop. I wasn't able to use pockets until I started DD on solids at 6.5 months. Until then, the best system I had for containing her poops was an infant PF (and later premiums, although regulars would probably have worked) snappi'd and then a cover with gussets such as proraps or literaps. Although being snappi'd, the covers didn't usually get leaked on, so fleece covers would have been fine as well. In any case, until I tried pockets, I never had any poop leaks on clothes. Yes, leaks onto the covers, but that's why early on I used PUL covers, so I could easily wash them. But it turns out fleece is just as easy to wash if you want to go that route.

Kissaluv 0s are great for newborns and I think I was able to use them until DD was 3.5 months or 4. Kissaluvs in any other size may be okay, but many people find that they're not absorbent enough for an older baby. But with a newborn, you're changing diapers so often, it's not an issue. I would probably not get Kissaluvs at your stage of the game. Oh, and I did get poop leaks onto the cover with Kissaluvs more often than with snappi'd PFs.

You may also want to get some fleece liners (just get a yard or so of microfleece from Joann Fabrics and cut them out) because they make cleaning the poop off the diaper that much easier. Along those lines, a minishower would be quite useful.

Honestly, I would start with 2-3 dozen PF's (probably infants), a couple of snappi's and some cheap covers, such as proraps, a yard of microfleece, and a minishower (I'm partial to the minishower, but it's not necessary). That would be the cheapest way to go and it would help you decide if that's what you want to do. Plus, the infant PFs can be used later as burp cloths and pocket stuffers, which is always a plus. Then as you go along, you can add things to your stash. If you really want to try pockets, I would order one medium BB, one medium FB, and one medium snap-EZ and try them out in a couple months before investing in a lot of them.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting