Default High Efficiency Front Load Washing Machine Yeah or Nay?

Anyone have opinions on washing cloth diapers in a front load high efficiency washer? Or just a high efficiency washer (low water usage) in general?

Thanks
    Jana

emelsea Guest

Default RE: High Efficiency Front Load Washing Machine Yeah or Nay?

I was so excited to get our new front loader because I knew it would save on the water bill, but I've been disappointed with the job it does. It's a high end, model, too. I just don't think it gets the diapers as clean as my old top loader did. I'm finding that I get much more buildup. It is impossible to see if there are suds left in the rinse cycle, because with the HE detergent and low water level, I don't even see suds during the wash cycle.

melissaea Guest

I was afraid of this....

I just learned from another board to FIRST run a hot/cold rinse "pre-wash" cycle with full amount of detergent. Then, run a regular "heavy cycle" (again hot) with a smaller amount of detergent. She claims they get clean this way with the HE front loading washer.

I have not tried this yet (haven't had baby yet, but looking into at-home vs. diaper service options), but would love to hear your feedback if you do try it!

Problem is, hot sets stains worse than cold...
    I always run a cold 'rinse' cycle, then a hot wash, then an extra rinse with www.charliesoap.com and everything is wonderful, I can never go back to top loaders :)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

We don't CD so I can't comment on that, but I do get all sort of yucky animal stains on my work clothes (I am a vet). We have a Danby FL an I can't say enough about how much I LOVE it! I also became a convert to Charlie's Soap after buying this machine. If you still use regular detergents like Tide HE, etc. they are prone to build-up. I have no build-up with the Charlie's Soap and I have yet to find a stain I can't get out with their pre-spray and my machine. Sometimes I may have to add a little oxi-clean and wash a 2nd time, but well worth the extra time IMHO. I don't know about saving $$$ on water or electricity since we moved shortly after buying the FL so I can't compare bills.

HTH