Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: "THE" Comprehensive Diaper Wash Routine Thread

Fun thread Juliet!

Type of Washer (toploader or frontloader): Front

Type of Water (e.g. hard, soft): Hard

How Often: Every night (I'm sure I could go two days but I just find it easier to keep on top of it and I don't like how stinky the bag gets after two days.)

Size of Load: Usually 7-9 dipes with inserts and a few cloth wipes

Brand of Detergent: Plain old Tide

Amt. of Detergent: about 3/4 of the way up to the 1st line

The Routine: Cold wash/double cold rinse with the detergent; hot wash/double cold rinse with no detergent

Dry Routine: Pockets, Daisy Doodle AIO outers and covers hang to dry (unless I'm "behind" on wash for the day or lazy and then they all go in the dryer); everything else in the dryer on hot for 70 minutes.

Do you have "the Stink?": Never did until I washed dipes at my parents' cottage - since then we have battled it on and off with some of our joeybunz.

How do you resolve "the Stink?": I've tried Calgon, tried multiple hot washes and tried sunning them. I haven't found any sure fix yet - I may microwave some of them after reading Trish's thread.

Overall Satisfaction with Routine? (e.g. very satisfied, mostly satisfied, neutral, mostly unsatisfied, very unsatisfied): Mostly satisfied although the stink problem is frustrating.

Any Additional Comments?: I'm getting frustrated with the white microfiber (car) towels. They are always so staticy (is that a word?) after drying and a pain to trifold. The blue ones don't have the problem, so I'm considering using the white ones for house cleaning and just buying more packages so I can use all blue for diapering.

*Bonus Questions*
    Current Favorite Diaper: For Mia, BB pockets stuffed with one JB and one trifolded towel. This is our workhorse. BUT, I have found myself reaching for the Daisy Doodle AIOs we have more often lately b/c they are just so trim and look cuter under most of her clothes for outings.

Current Favorite Cover: We seldom use covers b/c I only have about 4 fitteds that I like to use with Mia (all SPs) and my favorite is a merino wool SP cover. For the baby on the way though I'll be doing all fitteds for a while and I can't wait to try out some of the new covers I've got sitting in the nursery!

Holly
    Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
    Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

Type of Washer (toploader or frontloader): top

Type of Water (e.g. hard, soft): hard

How Often: once every day or two

Size of Load: Full load

Brand of Detergent: Tide Free

Amt. of Detergent: about 1/3 cap

The Routine: Hot Wash w/ 1/3 cap detergent & Cold Rinse, then second cold rinse.

Dry Routine: Stuffers/fitteds in dryer on high for 80 minutes, FB shells and PUL covers hung to dry unless we're REALLY in a hurry.

Do you have "the Stink?": Nope.

How do you resolve "the Stink?": I don't, there is no stink.

Overall Satisfaction with Routine? (e.g. very satisfied, mostly satisfied, neutral, mostly unsatisfied, very unsatisfied): Very satisfied, but Ian is on solids now and we ordered a minishower that's taking FOREVER to get here. I'll be happier once I can spray instead of dunk.

Any Additional Comments?:

*Bonus Questions*
    Current Favorite Diaper: FBs
    Current Favorite Cover: Cheapies from "Especially for Baby" (BRU brand). I don't care if they get dirty. I like Kiwi Pie Cashmere better but I freak if poo gets on it, so that's not really a good thing.

Type of Washer (toploader or frontloader): top

Type of Water (e.g. hard, soft): fairly hard

How Often: about every 3-4 (uses sposies at daycare 3 days and when DH is lazy!!)

Size of Load: Full load of dipes, wipes, shells

Brand of Detergent: sportwash
    Amt. of Detergent: about 1/2 cap

The Routine: If really stinky, cold soak/rinse with borax, Hot Wash w/ 1/2 cap detergent plus TTO & Cold Rinse; Hot Wash nothing added & Cold rinse. Sometimes use calgon after detergent wash

Dry Routine: Everything in dryer on "auto dry" (med-high) setting for 45 mins., usually needs an extra 1/2 cycle to fully dry; hang dry PUL covers when I'm not too lazy.

Do you have "the Stink?": Didn't used to (first 6 mos or so?) but now we get the stink and can't tell why.

How do you resolve "the Stink?": Extra hot washes with Calgon

Overall Satisfaction with Routine? neutral, I guess. Still experimenting. We get the stink now but didn't used to and I hadn't changed anything at all :( Frustrating! I also get stains, which I think are mostly from dipe cream (a natural oil-based salve) but also from poop.

*Bonus Questions*
    Current Favorite Diaper: AW AIO's or ElBee m/l
    Current Favorite Cover: ElBee wolly bully

Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    And the stubborn "purple" baby due 5/25/05

omgrown Guest

I'm relatively new to this, but I'd love play along...

Type of Washer (toploader or frontloader): top, cheapy Kenmore

Type of Water (e.g. hard, soft): pretty sure its right in the middle

How Often: about every 3

Size of Load: maybe 20 dipes plus covers

Brand of Detergent: Right now Bio-Kleen liquid, tried All which was no good at all :-)

Amt. of Detergent: I've been eyeballing about an oz to oz and a half

The Routine: Cold wash/cold rinse with nothing or a little squirt of Ecos Natural Stain remover in the machine. Hot wash/cold rinse with detergent. Second cold rinse

Dry Routine: Dipes on high till done, FBs and PUL covers hang to dry

Do you have "the Stink?": sometimes, but we're still figuring out the wash routine

How do you resolve "the Stink?": extra rinse, new detergent (All was making things very stinky, bio-kleen has been much better)

Overall Satisfaction with Routine? (e.g. very satisfied, mostly satisfied, neutral, mostly unsatisfied, very unsatisfied): Mostly satisfied although nothing has gotten poopy stains out yet except the sun and there's no sun in the Catskills right now :-(

Any Additional Comments?:I like the idea of baking soda/vinegar/tto as an alternative to detergent but haven't tried it yet. We have our own well and septic so I try to be super careful about what goes into our systems/ground water hence the bio-kleen. Anyone with specific amounts of BS and Vinegar, I'd love to hear.

*Bonus Questions*
    Current Favorite Diaper: prefitteds from infant PF's
    Current Favorite Cover: wool soakers my mom and I have knitted. (hand wash them every now and then). I mostly use Bummis SWW though.

"Any Additional Comments?: I'm getting frustrated with the white microfiber (car) towels. They are always so staticy (is that a word?) after drying and a pain to trifold. The blue ones don't have the problem, so I'm considering using the white ones for house cleaning and just buying more packages so I can use all blue for diapering."

Isn't that the weirdest thing?? I've noticed the "sticky" problem with the white towels, too, and not the blue ones. I don't get it.
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07

Yup, I use a Downy ball- but I don't *quite* fill to the bottom line- so it's just a splash of vinegar, maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons?
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Question for you

Ok Rashmi, I give up - what are SEx diapers?

cvharris Guest

Type of Washer (toploader or frontloader): Toploader - king size

Type of Water (e.g. hard, soft): Hard

How Often: Every third day

Size of Load: Full load (about 24 dipes)

Brand of Detergent: Biokleen Liquid

Amt. of Detergent: Tinsy tiny amount - that stuff is ultra concentrated!

The Routine: Cold soak with a bit of Bio Kleen Bac Out, Hot Wash w/ Biokleen Liquid Laundry detergent and then two cold rinses - I use the heavy duty agitation cycle

Dry Routine: Everything in dryer on Medium; hang dry fuzzi bunz and wetbags.

Do you have "the Stink?": Nope, not since we started using the biokleen.

Overall Satisfaction with Routine? Very satisfied

Any Additional Comments?:

*Bonus Questions*
    Current Favorite Diaper: First Class Baby
    Current Favorite Cover: We mostly wear wool pants these days - makes my life easy and there is no extreme bulk over the diaper

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

Maria K is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

OK, I know this is an OLD thread, but what a GREAT thread!

I read thru all the routines to find one that's close to my home situation but still have questions...

My washer has hot, warm and cold settings. That's it. Do I have to sit next to the machine and wait for it to hit different phases and then stop it and start over to get the different rinses and soak phases?

Am I missing something? Or is my machine antique?

- Maria

Default RE:

>My washer has hot, warm and cold settings. That's it. Do I
    >have to sit next to the machine and wait for it to hit
    >different phases and then stop it and start over to get the
    >different rinses and soak phases?

sounds like we have the same machine. the temp setting refers to the wash cycle, the rinse cycle is defaulted at cold. at least that's the way with my machine.
    ________
    MAINE MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
    Last edited by mshen; 02-19-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast