starfish03 Guest

Default Absolute favorite

I'm curious - with so many options out there, what is your absolute favorite way to diaper and/or absolute favorite diaper in your stash?

I have a 7 wk old who has been cloth diapered since coming home. We are looking to branch out eventually, so this is partly to build my wish list! :-)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default RE: Absolute favorite

Well, I'm just starting to branch out from prefolds and PUL covers now. Andrew is almost 10 months. I'm glad I waited until now to try fancier things, because he zipped through sizes pretty fast, and I hate spending money on things that don't last.

Probably my favorite is still prefolds and covers, because they are simple and cheap. I am starting to like the one fleece cover I have a lot. I have another style of fleece cover on the way, too. I use them over snappied prefolds.

I am able to use outgrown-for-night pockets (FB) during the day now. They fit with daytime stuffings in them still. Those are great for fast and easy changes. I'm mostly using them for when we need to change him when we're not at home. Very convenient.

My new favorite night time diaper is fleece pockets. I have an Apron Strings pocket that has worked very well. I just got a Fancy Pants and will try it today. I also have a Ella fleece on the way. A mild diaper rash actually cleared up overnight in the fleece pocket. Amazing!

My least favorite are fitteds. I liked the Kissaluv 0s for a newborn, but rarely used the SugarPeas that I got. It might be because I only had 2 and never got very fast at putting them on. I dunno. I just don't reach for them.

Hopefully, he'll stay in this size for a long time. He's in larges now and they're all listed to 30 lbs or more (he's 22 lbs). I can't imagine spending this much on every size. I know some people do, and that's fine, it's just not for me.
    Kris

I've tried pretty much everything out there on the market (much too my husband's frustration ;)). And my very favorite is fitteds with a fleece or wool cover.
    I have no patience for prefolds and think they look sloppy, and pockets are just too plain and simple for my taste. With fitteds, they are easy to get on, contain poop well beacause you have the added benefit of a cover, there are a million different cute prints out there, and then you get to dress it up even further with a pretty cover :)
    I have an entire stash of pockets and AIO's that only DH uses, because all I ever reach for is fitteds and covers.

What are my favorite fitteds? Time and time again, it's SugarPeas. I finally sold off all my other brands (okay, I put the Elbees and Fireflys away for the next baby because Josh has outgrown them)--and only have SugarPeas now. Size #2 front snap fitteds, both in hemp, organic cotton, and prints, as well as side snap and Snap-Ins to go with their covers and make them AIO's. Love them!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hmm...I've tried a fair bit as well, and have discovered that my favorites have changed. When Kaya was younger and not so squirmy, it was prefolds and covers, hands down. With a newborn, snappi'd prefolds in a PUL cover was very simple, inexpensive, and if poop did happen to leak onto the cover, it was pretty easy to rinse off and toss into the wash. Never had a leak onto her clothes with that combo. As she got older, and more prone to rash, it was snappi'd prefolds in a wool or fleece cover. Again, simple, and inexpensive if you didn't go too crazy with the wool/fleece. ;-)

Okay, then she started solids, and her poop started firming up, so I decided to try pockets. I did like them, but I've found that the PUL just doesn't allow her bum to breathe enough. Rash problems again. In the last couple months, she's really started fighting diaper changes, and as much as I try to be firm with her, it makes it much easier if I can finish the diaper change as quickly as possible. So either pockets or fitted with a cover would be ideal. I now have 4 fleece pockets (1 snapping turtle front snap, 2 ApronStrings Front Snap, 1 ApronStrings Side snap), which I think I'm going to really like. However, I have to be careful not to overstuff them when Kaya is awake and moving around, because it gives her quite the bubble butt and throws off her balance when she sits (it's okay when she crawls or stands). The one disadvantage of fleece pockets is that they are less trim than PUL pockets. But I will take the breathable option every time, now.

I will still use PF (quadruple folded and laid in a wrap) first thing in the morning, when she tends to be more cooperative. But I now like to put her either in a fleece pocket or fitted with a cover. And actually, although I like the fit of the wraps, a pull-on wool or fleece cover is easier to put on her because I can sit her on my lap and pull on the cover or stand her up and pull it up.

I'm still searching for the perfect fitted diaper, but I do really love my OCV tykie dipe (even more than the hemp because it's softer), my kindhearted women classic cut hemp fitted, and I'm waiting on the Elbee and the Mudpie. I don't like the front snap sugar peas, but the side snap is okay. The Sunflower Derrieres is not a good fit on Kaya either. Or maybe it would be, but the stuffings are just too big and bulky, especially in between her legs.

I also have a cotton pocket from SEZ and am getting a OCV pocket from Elbee that I like because I can adust the absorbency as needed and use it like a fitted.

And if it makes any difference, Kaya does tend to be a super soaker, even more now that she loves water with her meals, and when she sees me drinking.

As you can see, we're still searching for our absolute favorite, but we have it narrowed down. :P

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif Breastfed 1 Year -- Woohoo!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With DD I went through phases where I liked different things at different times for different reasons. Sometimes I was too tired for anything but pockets. Sometimes I liked the flexibility of fitteds. And sometimes I loved the simplicity of prefolds and covers. So I like to have a mix of things in my stash to account for me varying moods. ;)
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

schuyler is at such a weird spot right now, nothing is fun anymore! it is all just diapering at this point. sigh. he has been leaking through all kinds of stuff because he is a heavy wetter and nasty pooper. so in terms of containment, prefolds and proraps. but the proraps aren't fitting him very well because he is such a weird shape- very tall with a very skinny waist, but with no booty and slightly large thighs. stuff just doesn't fit him, except snap-ez pockets. but they aren't 100% leak proof like the proraps and prefolds... but i still think they are my current fav for him.

for dylan, the prefold and prorap is working great (i use a snappi for both boys- very trim and good containment.) but the kissaluvs are just so precious!!! it is harder to get the proraps over them just right, but he is so big that they are not at all bulky. and a friend is giving me some airflows that should fit over them better. and i just LOVE my sugarpeas fitted- i just need a larger cover because the prorap barely fits over it. (size one front snap.) finally, he fits into the snap ez mediums (he is 11.5 pounds) but they fit him kinda weird- i think he must have a really big one month old thigh! the legs seem a little tight compared to the waist and i can't get the snaps closed unless i do the smallest snap on one side and the 2nd smallest snap on the other! and the rise is still pretty big, but workable.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

for nightime - fuzzibunz stuffed with two joeybunz

for daytime - an elbee covered with any trim snap cover. I like the ProRap snap covers.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

highland Guest

After diapering 2 babies here are favorite combos.

Daytime: Darling Diapers AIOs or SOS fitted diapers

Nighttime: Premium Prefold with fleece topped doubler and an Aristocrat wool cover