Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help: Newbie having buyers remorse!

OK here goes, we never cloth diapered our 2 1/2 year old DD, but want to attempt it with my newborn DD who has very sensitive skin so far.

So to start out with we bought 12 kissaluvs size 0 and 3 Bummis Super Whisper Wrap size newborn.

So far the kissaluvs are adorable, and very soft but EXTREMELY bulky. The Bummis cover seems to be chafing DD's thighs, back and tummy, and again adds to the bulkiness.

Last night I thought we were going through the diapers too fast and purchased another dozen seconds through the Kissaluvs outlet. Now I'm thinking I would be better off trying to find another set-up that works better for us, but the seconds are non-returnable....

So, three questions...

1-Any suggestions as to what to do with an extra dozen Kissaluvs?? Should I E-bay them or just keep them. Two dozen of the same diaper seems like overkill to me when we aren't totally thrilled with it.

2-Any suggestions on alternative covers that would keep the wetness away from clothes but be softer on DD's skin?

3-Lastly any suggestions for a completely different set-up. Something that isn't too complicated would be great and maybe something a little less bulky, the choices are totally overwhelming!!!

REALLY appreciate any help!
    Thank You!
    Nicole

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Help: Newbie having buyers remorse!

Well, generally speaking, the kissaluvs are on the bulky side, but not too unusual. However, if the Bummis cover is chafing, you could maybe try something like a pull up pants (Bummis super whisper pants? or Especially for Baby Dappi-like covers). These nylon covers are thinner than the Bummis cover and might decrease the bulk a little. You could also maybe try fleece pants or fleece covers. The might be gentler on your baby's skin.

I also used preemie prefolds on DD for 2 months, I think. I don't know how big your newborn is, but I was able to use it from around 7-9 pounds. They were MUCH less bulky than the kissaluvs and except for night times, we mostly used the prefolds.

You could try selling the Kissaluv seconds on the swap. Diaperswap2 is a yahoo group that gets a fair bit of traffic. BBB-swap is also a good place, but you need 50 posts and ... 3 months on the boards? or maybe it's 2 months? Not sure about that one.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
    Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Try ebay. I laugh at the prices some CDs are getting almost full price for brands like kissaluv fuzzi bunz and happy heiny. List them as barely used for the dozen you may be amazed.
    Jeana

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just make sure you list them as seconds, from the outlet.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
    Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

Thank you Eileen for the quick response. I apologize for my ignorance!!! However, should I just google preemie pre-folds, or is there a certain brand that you would recommend? Also, what kind of cover would you recommend with these?

My daughter was 6 lbs 9 oz at her Dr. appointment this past Tuesday. Not sure if that info helps!

I'll search the Yahoo swap boards, I'm already all too familiar with strollerswap!!!

Thanks Again,
    Nicole (Baby Mia thanks you too!)

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I never cd'd a newborn, having switched DS when he was a year old, but I agree with the PP that fleece covers might be a better way to go. If your DD already has any fleece outfits, they can also function as covers - I do that with DS with his fleece pjs and the several pairs of fleece pants he has, and it has always worked great.

I was browing CDs the other day (when am I not doing that?) and I saw that Snappi now makes a diaper (http://snappibaby.com, also sold at www.naturalbabies.com) that might suit your needs. I have no experience with it, but it looks likely...

HTH, and good luck!
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

I liked the bummi's whisper pants, a pull on nylon cover, over the Kissaluvs. you can get them at www.naturalbabies.com . You can also get preemie sized chinese prefolds there. You'll need to also buy a snappi diaper fastener to help hold the prefolds on your baby. Its really easy to use prefolds on the tiny babies, they don't squirm as much as a toddler might. For less bulky and very absorbant fitteds for newborns, consider www.sugarplumbaby.com or www.loveybums.com I loved my sugarplum baby newborn dipes on my son, and I thing Angie, the WAHM that makes them, has a package deal with four dipes? Anyway, for about $20 at naturalbabies, you can get some prefolds, a snappi, and a couple of bummi pants to try. Good luck, and keep coming for help!
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

mommyj_2 Guest

I wanted to second the whisper pants suggestion. The nylon is great for sensitive skin, and these don't have any elastic to rub on the baby's skin either. They work great over Kissaluvs.
    I agree that Kissaluvs are bulky, but they might seem a little less insanely bulky as your baby grows. If you don't love them, I would recommend selling the extra dozen on Ebay.
    I used mostly snappied prefolds for my DS. I had a dozen Kissaluvs and three dozen infant CPFs. I used whisper pants and Bumpy covers.
    I'm not sure I would just use fleece pajamas for a cover for a newborn. When your baby hits the explosive poo stage, you will love the extra protection a cover gives, since you won't have poo all over your baby's clothes.
    I would recommend buying a few different covers to try. If you buy one of each, you won't spend a bunch of money only to find out they don't work for you. You might try a Bummis whisper pant (nylon pull on cover), a Bumpy night, and a fleece cover. I personally am not a fan of fleece, but many moms here are.
    HTH

pittsburghgirl Guest

I have never cd'd a newborn but you are getting good advice here. My DS has somewhat sensitive skin and the covers that are the "nicest" on his skin are the fleece ones, and the nylon pants, and also the Bumpy Day (but not everyone has luck with that.)

I was also thinking you should try prefolds. I have never used them since I didn't start until I had a wiggler, but if I was cd'ing a newborn now I would use those (with a few Kissaluvs or other fitteds for DH who would be hopeless with a prefold!)

Hope you find something that works!

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

Thank You Marilee...What kind of nylon pants would you recommend? Also when you say DH would be hopeless with a prefold, I'm a little scared!! Where can I find basic instruction on how to?(as I ordered some prefolds last night)

Thanks Again,
    Nicole

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast