Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Anyone use Eucerin for diaper rash/prevention?

This was recommended to me by my SIL. I just didn't know if it was gentle enough or would actually work on diaper rash. DD doesn't really need it but it wouldn't hurt to have around with the new little one coming. I was looking & most drug stores have their own store brand, the "compare to..." kind, that is pretty inexpensive. Any thoughts on this?
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone use Eucerin for diaper rash/prevention?

In general, you prevent basic diaper rash by keeping moisture off the skin. This means frequent changing, etc. Creams are useful mainly when they provide a barrier to moisture. So thick creams like Desitin are slowly absorbed into the skin, and that's good - instead, they form that protective layer that keeps moisture out. I think Eucerin, even the pasty formulation, may not have that staying power to make it as desireable for diaper rash prevention.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

pritchettzoo Guest

We smear it on at night. I think it's Eucerin--or Aquaphor? I get them mixed up. Whatever the clear goo in the tub is, not the lotion. :) I got a huge tub at Costco (ask the pharmacist--it's not out) for around $15 when Gracie was tiny and we're still using it. Never had diaper rash, and it's fine for CDs.

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

nitaghei Guest

Are you sure it wasn't Aquaphor? That's what generally recommended a a very gentle barrier cream.

Eucerin is a great moisturizing cream - but it aborbs pretty quickly, and probably won't work very well as a diaper ointment.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's the Aquaphor and it works great. Eucerin (at least the one that we have) is a lotion and I don't think it would work well as a diaper cream. But Aquaphor is made by the same company, so maybe that's what the OP is talking about?

I get both my Triple Paste and Aquaphor at Sam's (ask the pharmacist) if you don't have a Costco. Both places seem to be much cheaper than any place else you'll find them.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif , 19 months, hoping for 2 years

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca..._4_Kaya+is.png

Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It was definitely the paste type of Eucerin that she had. I knew Aquaphor worked pretty well but hadn't heard about Eucerin, so it seemed a little odd to me. I knew I could find the answer here. I think I'll get some of the Eucerin for chapped cheeks & such but keep with my regular diaper cream for rashes. :)

Thanks ladies!
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

sbstoner Guest

I actually think Eucerin cream would work. Our daughter just had some raw patches of dry skin that wouldn't respond to anything. The Eucerin cleared it right up. Be sure to use the cream in a tub and NOT the lotion. The lotion has too many other additives and is very greasy.

Lovingliv is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I still remember my mother using eucerin on all of us (there are 7 kids in my family)...she swore by it. So I tried it on DD. When I compared it to Balmex...I like Balmex much better. It seemed to keep her red free!

I also smear Fory's butt with Aquaphor at night, the clear goo. He never has redness anymore. Unless DH feeds him chipotle-ridden foods, which cause some toxic poopies, of course.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan