Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Did anyone's mother use cloth?

I was just wondering. I remember changing my sister's diapers when I was about 7-9 yrs old. Yes my mother let me cloth diaper w/ pins at that age. I remember using the bikini twist and double diapers at night. Mom used good ol' gerber "plastic" pants and did the toilet dip to rinse them. My job was also to hang the diapers on the line. Did anyone else have similar experiences?
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Default RE: Did anyone's mother use cloth?

I think a lot of our mothers used cloth as disposables did not exist or were expensive or poor quality. I was born in 1970, and my mom used cloth with me and my older siblings, I think exclusively. My MIL used cloth were her sons, born in 1969 and 1966, and said, "Believe me, I TRIED to use disposables, but they didn't work well and the kids got rashes."
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Yep. My mom used cloth for all of her kids -- me (24) my sister (20) and my baby brother (5). My sister and I had the Gerber plastic pants, but with my brother she used a diaper service and covers with velcro front fastenings. All plain white, no fun colors. I changed quite a few of those. :)

Sarah

We were all cloth diapered. I am a middle child, but I remember my younger sister in prefolds and plastic pants. I don't recall ever changing them myself (I would have only been between 3 and 5 yrs old). I know they had a diaper service and I would love when they delivered "fresh" diapes! To this day, my mom uses old prefolds for dusting the house - she says they are the best. And, at over 25 years old, she has gotten her money's worth of use out of them!
    Mamma to a pretty little princess 3/06, a long awaited blessing 6/11, and a sweet surprise 11/13!

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yep! She CD'd all three of us. My brother is only 11.5 months younger so I don't remember the whole experience. My Mom did say that one thing she liked about cloth diapering was the folding, as it was about the only time she actually was able to sit down for any lenght of time! Like a PP Mom also kept the old diapers for dusting. She probably still has some and it has been almost 35 years since my brother has been out of diapers. :-)
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

yep, a cloth diaper baby here :)

my mom did keep a box of sposies around on the off chance that they may go out somewhere it was treat for her to use one on me. i have pictures of me in my big cloth diaper where my butt looks like the size of texas.
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

mainepotato Guest

My mom CD'd part time. All that I can remember about it is the plastic pants. When I told her I was going to CD, she was amazed at how CD'ing has changed over the years. She loved the idea of fleece liners to keep baby feeling dry.

Puddy73 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My mom used plain old flats with pins and pull-on "plastic" pants on all five of us. I remember hanging them out to dry and folding them, but mom never made me do the toilet dip, thank goodness. She still uses diapers as dust cloths, too!

Jennifer
    Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." - Woodrow Wilson

Yes, with me they were the only availble option, so I was CDed exclusively. PFs, pins and plastic pants, I think. My brother came along 5 1/2 years later, and he was mostly CDed but my parents were product testers for Huggies so they used a fair number of those too. My Mom started out with CDs with my sister (the youngest) but ended up switching to sposies pretty early on.

My Mom has also been impressed with how far CDs have come, and has been the most willing to use them when the boys are at her house. (I keep sposies around for MIL, who CDed all 4 of her kids but doesn't want to fool with it now). They've both been very supportive of us for using CDs!
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07

another 30 year old cloth bottom! i actually have the very dipes that she used!! curity prefolds! i used them for newborn prefolds for schuyler.

my mom and dad cd'ed my sister (33 this month) and me, but not my brother (20) because they were so busy rushing off to this soccer game and that school play, etc. since my sister and i were 12.5 and 10 years when he was a baby. but they did pull out the cds when he had a rash and i do remember that!!!

oh- and they used the ol' gerber pants, but not pins- clips. they did pin them at the hip when my brother had rashes, so they would hang loosely around him and let the air breeze through!

and when my dad changed schuyler for the first time with an appliz prorap he thought it was better than sliced bread! he went nuts at how easy it was! (that's right! grandad changes CDs!!)
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast