Default Toddler Poop - Warning TMI!

I have totally fallen off of the CD bandwagon for several months now due to my son's incredibly nasty poops combined with morning sickness and a wicked pregnancy-induced gag reflex. I just couldn't handle it and needed the fastest easiest way to handle poopy dipes...for me, sposies.

So it's been several months and I'm over the morning sickness (though not the gag reflex) but the poops are still awful. They're not runny but are quite mushy and sticky. What are toddler poops supposed to be like???

When he started solids at 6 months we had some transistional peanut butter poo but it evened out and most of the time was quite solid and easy to dump into the toilet. But now, they are so mushy and sticky, even the mini-shower isn't much help. I have to soak them in the toilet and then don rubber gloves and scrub. Yuck!!! And he has at least 2 sometimes 3 a day so it's rather time consuming.

I'm just wondering if I should be looking for something in his diet as the culprit or if this is just normal. I thought it seemed to me that this started as his intake of dairy increased (yogurt and cheese, even before he started whole milk.) Now he drinks a lot of whole milk but it's Lactaid (the ped suggested trying it as an easier transistion from EBF to cow's milk.)

Anyway, any info would be much appreciated. I really want to get back to my fluff!
    Jen

Mama to Luke (9/04) and Dex (5/06)

Default RE: Toddler Poop - Warning TMI!

My son is 2 1/2 now. I was a full fledged FB user but due to an incredible washing routine (long and sometimes complicated) and his awful toddler poop we have now switched back to sposies.

His poop is just plain gross! Sometimes it's formed but most of the time it's just a hazard! And yes his poo is more hazardous when he's had more milk products.

If diaper service wasn't so expensive I'd use that, but for me, sposies are way less expensive. I hope someone else has better info for you!!
    Maria
    ~Mama to 4~
    ~Foster mama to baby girl R born 8/08~

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Does he eat many bananas? DS loves bananas, and those help keep his poops more formed and less goopy.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Lol! Yep, he eats a whole banana a day. This kid gets a ton of fiber. Thanks for the idea though.
    Jen

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

It depends on the day here-- Payton has well-formed stuff for a few days, then nastiness (peanut-buttery or worse) for a few days. We can get it more well-formed with extra bananas and cheese, and thinned out with prunes (blended in applesauce). Otherwise, if I'm not paying close attention I'm not sure what I'm going to get on a given day! We consider it normal around here either way (unless it's clearly sickness-related).
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, we're sort similar here. When Kaya has more bananas and cheese, we get the less sticky stuff. Otherwise it can be pretty bad. One thing that could help in your situation are the rice paper liners. It doesn't get rid of everything, but the majority can peel off and be flushed, so it really cuts down on the scrubbing/spraying time.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...merald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca..._4_Kaya+is.png
    Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Ditto on the bananas and cheese. We use those mozzerala string cheese sticks as a nice little snack -- they're the perfect size for DD to hold and bite off pieces. Also, do you have a diaper sprayer? It really helps to get that sticky stuff off of there. You just have to get the technique down so you don't spray poo all over the bathroom, lol. That spray is powerful!

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My toddler's stinky diapers sound similar, texture-wise. I've ended up using flushable liners to deal with the poo situation, and they're great, aside from the fact that they're non-reuseable. But it's kept me from switching to disposables ...
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Thanks everyone! I think I'll give the rice paper liners a try. Wish me luck.
    Jen

rds989 Guest

Totally been there, during pregnancy too - yuck! Check out this link: http://www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/idrp/issenman/bob4.htm,
    which is a description of "toddler diarrhea," a problem linked to high consumption of fruit juice and maybe not enough fat in the diet.

For us, though, the problem was linked to both lactose intolerance/milk sensitivity (he could handle yogurt & cheese but not even lactaid milk) and soy sensitivity (and he drank TONS of soymilk when we took him off of cow's milk - doh!) Cutting both of those, really diluting juice, and cutting back on the amount of beverages in general has made a world of difference. Like a HUGE difference! Yay!

HTH!