Default SWAP gone bad...What to do?

It's looking like the post office may have lost a package of two AIOs that I sold through a SWAP (not the BBB-SWAP.) Of course, I just sent it 1st class mail, so no tracking and no insurance. If it never shows up, what do I do? Has anyone else had this happen to them and how did you handle it?
    Jen

Mama to Luke (9/04) and Dex (5/06)

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: SWAP gone bad...What to do?

ok this is one of my biggest worries when i sell diapers. i guess if it was me i may try to offer that if she doesnt get them then i could refund half of the money as you are both out now. it is such a hard decision what to do unless you offered for her to pay for ins and she declined. because it isnt her fault that they didnt get there so why should she be out but it isnt your fault either so why should you be out. unless she declined an offer of ins at her expense(if she did then i would not offer anything back) then i would try to make a deal of some sorts or else just accept the fact that she will probably leave bad feedback. that just sucks!
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

I always do my swaps PPD *NOT* including insurance and make it very clear that if the buyer chooses not to pay the extra 50 cents for insurance I take no responsibility for lost packages. Seems b*tchy I'm sure, but in reality, how do I know they are being honest n saying the package did not arrive? Do you have a receipt showing it was shipped, or do you have deliv. conf on it?
    Lynne
    Mommy to C 3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    And Miss Purple, 5/05

Ugh, that is a sticky situation. I've never had that happened to me so I'm not sure what I would do. I do like Lynne's idea of posting the insurance clause to protect you from future transactions.

What I have just started doing recently was buying my postage online, either through paypal or usps.com. I go to the PO beforehand and weighing my package on the APC machine and then going home and buy the postage. I have been meaning to purchase a postage scale as they aren't that much. When you buy the postage online you get free delivery confirmation and it sends an email to the recipient allowing them to sort of track the package. It's not the same as insurance but at least you know if the package made it to the right zip code.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of offering to refund half the total. It seems to be the only fair thing. I did have a receipt showing that I mailed them but I can't find it and since I didn't offer insurance or have any kind of disclaimer, it seems the fair thing to do. In the future though, I will always get tracking (it only cost 6 cents on the last package I sent) and I'll offer insurance. What a bummer! Plus, I hate those dipes to just go to waste in never never land. They were great dipes.
    Jen

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i know how you feel. i sent out 4 diapers that were still in really good shape to a woman who really needed diapers and didnt have the money for some. after months of emailing her asking her if she got them i gave up, they never reached her :( how sad that thoes diapers are just out there somewhere........
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

Default RE: SWAP gone bad...Update....need help

Well, the diapers still have not shown up and I offered to give her a 1/2 back refund but she wants it all. Is this fair? And what are the repurcussions with Paypal if I refuse? Can they put a hold on my account or take it out of my checking account? I tell ya, I hate them having access to my checking account. I really thought I was being fair but she wants a full refund.
    Jen

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Jen, I'm looking at it as if I were the buyer. I send my money out there to someone I don't know, nothing comes of it. I'd want a full refund for sure. I'd be pretty mad if the seller only offered me half my money. That's assuming the buyer is honest, of course. You don't know that for sure, and I assume that's why you're offering half back. But I think that without proof, it's unfair to assume she swindled you. I think the right thing to do is refund her money. Sorry.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

I also offered to send her another comparable diaper (same brand/type/quality, different print. But that's not the print she wanted so. Oh well, I'm just going to call this an expensive lesson learned and refund her money. This sucks!!!
    Jen