Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Disposable Diapers -- how many do I need?

So I am due in three months. The BB Book says you should start stocking up on diapers before you bring the baby home. I have noticed sales at both CVS and Target this week on Pampers (FYI -CVS is actually a little cheaper). I am also a Costco member, but they only sell Huggies. I was thinking of buying a combination of both to see what I like. Many of the weekends ahead are very busy with various events, so I won't always have the opportunity to buy diapers.

Am I crazy to buy diapers now? The BB Book says 100 newborn and 400-500 Size 1. Do I follow that recommendation? I suspect we will have a big baby (8 pounds or so), but I obviously don't know.

shburks is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Disposable Diapers -- how many do I need?

That's what we did and it worked well for us. Like you, I bought a variety to see what we liked and frankly, you change so often those first few weeks, any diaper worked! :)

We had a 6 lb baby who spent a month in the NICU and was only about 7 lbs when he came home, so he wore newborns for a long time. Probably for a normal size/normal term baby, a package or two (which would be 50-100) newborn diapers would be plenty. You can keep receipts (tape them to the package) and exchange if it turns out that you bought too many small sized ones or something.

Susan

I think that 100 newborn or more should be right. I know my DD was 9.3lbs and she wore newborn swaddlers for atleast a month or more. And they go through diapers a lot....my nephew just went through over 200/250 diapers in 6 weeks time! Needless to say they couldnt wait to switch to cloth.

I would agree and go with a variety of diapers. Get whats on sale and keep the reciept...check the return policy....Targets sucks so be ware as they have only 90 days to return and without a reciept you need to get the exact same item. Sooo anyhow....go for about 100 or so of the newborn and yeah lots of the size 1. They used size 1 in the hopstial for my little one and while they were a little big, they worked just fine. If you hit some good sales and have the space, stock up and then just have hubby exchange them when they grow out or you find what works better. Good luck!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I don't agree with their recommendations. Diapers aren't hard to buy, and they are on sale all the time; believe me, you will probably welcome the chance to shuffle through Target a week or so post-partum, just to get out of the house! DS1 wore exactly ONE newborn diaper, and DS2 went through about a half package (20-25 diapers). Both were just over 8lbs at birth, but were 22" and 21" long respectively.

For size 1 dipes, different brands have worked for each of my boys. And I don't think that either wore 400-500 size 1 dipes before outgrowing them (but I may be wrong on that one - DS1 was in size 2 dipes by about 6 weeks, and DS2 has probably another 1-2 weeks in size 1 dipes).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree with Lori wait on the diapers. Nathan wore 1/2 a pack of nb size he was 21 3/4 long and 9lb8oz and kept peeing up his belly. DO NOT BUY IN BULK. I liked huggies supreme nb/size 1 &2 then loved the pampers cruisers. Different brands fit different and it really sucks to have 100 dipers that dont contain "your" leaks.

Until I had a newborn I had NO idea diaper "could" fit so differently. FYI they seem to change the shape/stretchiness and tabs on diapers from time to time so the diapers I used for DS2 didnt even exist for DS3.

My advice would be 1 or 2 regular size bags of newborns then see what you like before buy several bags ( or if your baby is sensitive to certian brands-- mine was :( )
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

kusiakje Guest

I just wanted to add that you should be able to take quite a few diapers home from the hospital with you. I think we left with at least half a package of Pampers Swaddlers in newborn size...so like 20 or so. I've heard of people leaving with many more though because they'd be like...change the diaper...pack up 3...change the diaper...pack 3 more...oh hey...we're out....nurse! =)

FWIW, we bought one small package of Huggies, Pampers Swaddlers, and Luvs in newborn before the baby was born (each with coupons and on sale just in case they didn't work for the baby). The Luvs newborn were MUCH bigger than Huggies or Pampers. They were WAY too wide for our little peanut. But, IMHO, there wasn't much difference in the fit of the Huggies and Pampers. The biggest difference is that the Swaddlers are MUCH softer...which made me think that they'd be more comfortable. We're actually still using them...so clearly they became my favorites.

HTH...

Jessica
    Mom to Katarina (DOB 9/16/05)

Just wanted to agree w/several of the previous posters - don't stock up too much. I bought several packages of newborn sized Pampers based upon recommendations of several friends. DD was over 8lbs at birth (shocking since I'm pretty petite), and we were able to use the newborn size for about 2 days - then we had to use the size 1 diapers. We ended up preferring the Huggies size 1 to the fit of the Pampers 1, while lots of my friends preferred Pampers. I ended up giving away my newborn diapers to a friend who had a tiny baby.

I think each baby is different, and each diaper is different. I'd buy a few different brands in a size 1, and maybe 1 package of newborn diapers.

FWIW, we tried Luvs exactly one time and HATED them. I cringed every time I put one on DD - I almost threw them away, but felt too wasteful doing that. They had a heavy perfume smell & felt like a plastic bag. Target brand is very nice for generic, as is the Kroger grocery brand. Very similar to Huggies.

HTH,
    Jill
    DD 2004
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2014 finally!

jhaud Guest

just another note, when you're keeping up with prices... i keep a notebook in my purse... it now has a page with the size, #of dipes in package and cost... and then the $/diaper so i can really compare prices. and don't forget store brands, which will be cheaper, but don't forget to tape the receipts to packages because you may find dc can't use certain brands due to fit, chemical sensitivities, etc...

and another note my neice was in size 2 before she was a month. (lots of blowouts are a sign to try a bigger size)

good luck and congratulations

i would get one pack of newborn and one pack of size 1. my sweet dylan was the only baby in the NICU wearing size 1 diapers when he was a day old. they put newborns on him the first day, but went right to 1's the next day. i use cloth, but had one pack of size 1 swaddlers at home just in case. they fit him perfectly. he was 9lbs 10.8oz and 21 inches long.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hehe... the nurses at the hospital tried the newborn diapers on Aaron for a day, then, they gave us a pack of Swaddlers Size 1. He finished that pack and used a few more size one packs at home, then we had to switch to size two. At 2.5 months, we had to switch to size 3 diapers. We've been in 3's ever since.

DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast