Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default I don't CD but your stuff is BEAUTIFUL!

'nuff said!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Homemade Prefitteds

These were made from Toddler size prefolds - the blue is microfleece, the fish is anti-pill fleece and the cars are flannel.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33880.jpg
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

mommyoftwo Guest

Default RE: Homemade Prefitteds

So cute. Those turned out really well. Maybe I'll have to try that some time. Did you use a pattern?

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love those!

I have a bunch of prefolds coming my way and was hoping to make some fitteds from them. Did you use the instructions at www.diapersewing.com?
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

I just traced a fitted I had that fit pretty well. I made a couple out of old towels first to check the fit before I cut the prefolds.

Sort of. I don't have a serger, so I needed to turn and topstitch. Once I had a pattern (after tracing a fitted and then trying it out on old towels) it went something like this:

1. Cut fleece to pattern.
    2. Sew fleece to prefold, right sides together, leaving hole for turning.
    3. Cut prefold to fleece edges, leaving extra seam allowance where you want elastic. Cut it fairly close (1/8"?) except where the elastic goes (1/2"). I only put elastic in the legs, but you could do the back too if you wanted.
    4. Trim extra layers in elastic areas back to 1/8" leaving only two layers of prefold with wide seam allowance.
    5. Sew elastic onto prefold seam allowance. You don't need tons of elastic. I made the elastic really long, from the back tab all the way to the front tab, but they tended to bunch up more than I needed. I used 3/8" polybraid on one and Lastin on the others. The Lastin hasn't held very well because I really have to pull on it to stretch it out enough to go around the legs. The next ones I will either use less Lastin or just go back to polybraid.
    6. Turn and then topstitch around tabs and tops. You may have to remove some layers in the area of the turning hole. If you don't it is like sewing through 14-18 layers. I just cut all but two layers of the prefold down to even with the turned edge, then folded the remaining two layers over these, and topstitched a couple of times to hold it, then folded in the fleece layer and closed it.

Since they are just prefitteds, it is pretty simple - no fasteners, we just use a snappi on them. I really like the fleece as that means we just need a rice paper liner inside.

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks so much!

I think I'm going to have to try this method, it sounds really promising, and the results look great :)

I imagine it'd work with PUL or other waterproof exteriors too, and I could also line the inside with microfleece...a prefold to AIO, and on the cheap. I love it! :)
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Default RE: A couple more pics

Love your work!

I know of a few coops for wool. If your interested please let me know. Just email me through the boards. I will not be on the computer after tonight for a week but I will get back to you when I return.
    Michelle I

DS 1 - 7
    DS 2 - 5
    DD - 1

You could also use fold over elastic if you wanted to do an AIO.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: i'm bored. post some stash photos!!

What beautiful pics! Sigh, kinda makes me wish the diaper services had a little more imagination.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast