Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mommyoftwo Guest

Default Aack! Major stink issues

We haven't had any major stink issues really since we started CDing and all of the sudden it terrible. I haven't changed anything in my wash routine and I use the SG/washing soda combo so I don't think it could be buildup. Anyone have any ideas of what to do. I've been adding an extra rinse cycle. Last time I washed with detergent and did an extra wash cycle with nothing added just in case they weren't getting clean or something. Nothing is helping and the smell is overwhelming. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do or what might be causing the problem all of the sudden?

Default RE: Aack! Major stink issues

I wouldn't know the cause (diet change? humidity up lately?) but maybe a little vinegar, baking soda, tea tree oil, and sunshine would help? (any combination of the four, till you find what works, lol... I usually put a little baking soda in the pre-soak, and a bit of vinegar or tea tree oil in the rinse, and try to stick my dipes and inserts out on a sunny table on the porch for a few minutes every week, and I don't have any bad smell issues, fwiw).

ETA: Oh yeah, I do also use detergent in the wash...about a half a cap of ALL Small n Mighty in whatever scent or Free & Clear I feel like at the time.

Good luck, hope you figure it out! :P
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not sure what SG/washing soda is, but maybe washing with a little detergent will do the trick?

Or, you could try running a hot wash cycle with nothing but water. I had to strip a couple of times doing this, and even though I barely used detergent, it amazed me how many suds came out. I think it took 3 cycles of hot washes (I didn't bother with the cold rinse, just the hot wash) to get all the suds out.
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Stink usually comes from one of a small number of places:

Too much detergent
    Too little detergent
    Change in diet/output

Since you say it's not buildup (I haven't used SG/washing soda myself so can't say whether this could build up), then perhaps they are not getting clean and need some extra oomph (more detergent, a little bleach, Calgon water softener - an extra wash cycle with no detergent won't help clean them, but will help rinse out extra detergent). Or has your DD's diet changed recently - introduction of solids, perhaps? This can make pee more potent and make the dipes stinkier.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

mommyoftwo Guest

I wondered whether they were getting clean enough so I did a load with a bunch of All F&C with the extra wash cycle but it didn't make a difference. I did recently add solids to Linnea's diet, but I didn't realize that it could affect her pee. That's what it seems like though. Like the pee is super strong. The only thing is that it seems to be affecting Amelia's diapers as well. I don't know if you can get buildup with simple green or washing soda but it certainly wouldn't be the kind of build up you normally talk about because it's not a detergent. Just in case I had build up from using detergent before, I looked for bubbles, but there wasn't anything. I've been doing the same thing for months with no trouble. I also thought maybe I was putting too many diapers in the load so I cut back on that too. Somehow it seems like they aren't getting clean enough, but I don't know quite what to do about it. I need to add vinegar right now anyway because Linnea has another yeast rash. I'll try adding a little baking soda and see if that helps. I also got a clothesline so that I can put the diapers outside so we'll see if a little sun helps. I hate to use bleach, but I guess I will try it if nothing else helps.

Good luck, I hope something works and fast!
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mommyoftwo Guest

Thanks! Me too. Hopefully one of the things suggested will work.

Do they smell right out of the wash/dry? If so then you need more detergent in the wash, they are not getting clean.

Do they smell right after she pees, like ammonia really strong? If so something on them is reacting to the pee and that is usually detergent build-up. I have heard that the "free and clear" detergents are the worst for that.

Do they smell like the bottom of a hamster cage after she pees? Or like old wet hay? If so, that is hemp stink and is usually caused by detergent build up. Some people have had to resort to a little bleach in the wash to get rid of the stink.

Do they smell like ammonia after they have been in the diaper pail for awhile? If so that is just what happens to pee when it sits, especially when it is hotter in the house. Wash more frequently, or just keep the pail closed and hold your nose when you open it.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

mommyoftwo Guest

LOL at your list of discriptions.It smells like ammonia as soon as pee hits it. I knew that F&C detergents were supposed to be really bad at buildup so I haven't used them in months. We use simple green and washing soda which I don't think can cause buildup. They smell perfectly clean until pee hits them. It's really frustrating. I only washed them in All F&C the other day because it was what we had and I was wondering if they weren't getting clean somehow. We have been CDing for six months, switched to SG/washing soda maybe four months ago and only now are having problems. I just wish I knew what was causing it exactly and how to handle it.

Strange. Try searching in the diaper forum at mothering.com to see if Simple Green and/or washing soda can cause this. I wouldn't think so, but it's definitely something reacting with the pee.

Maybe detergent left in your washer from the last load? Or fabric sheet build up in your dryer?

Or maybe it's just toddler pee that smells stronger than what you are used to?
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast