tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default "Soaker" vs. "Doubler"

I'm confused. What is the difference (sorry if this is a really stupid question).

Thanks,
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

Default RE: "Soaker" vs. "Doubler"

I am also wondering this - thanks for asking!

Allison

Alice523 Guest

A wool soaker is a diaper cover made out of wool. A doubler is made out of something absorbant and put inside a fitted or prefold diaper for more absorbancy. Is that what you meant?

symesa Guest

It depends on the context. A soaker can mean 2 things:
    1. The actual absorbent material of a given diaper - such as a doubler or insert.
    2. A knit wool cover that is put over a diaper.

Yeah, I agree and was just talking about this on the weekend. A soaker can be a knitted wool cover, usually pull on style. Or it can be the cloth inside that soaks up the pee. I especially hear it used in the latter way when discussing All In One diapers, which can have a snap in soaker or a soaker sewn into the diaper.

Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

OK, so in the context of "the cloth inside that soaks up the pee", is there any difference in that and a "doubler"?

Glad to know this wasn't a dumb question :)
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A soaker is usually meant to be used either alone or with a doubler. A doubler is not usually thick enough/big enough to be used alone.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

IOW, a doubler is usually an add-on to give extra absorbency, whereas the soaker is necessary for the diaper to hold more than a few dribbles of pee. The soakers can be sewn-in, snap-in or lay in (just to confuse things).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

shburks is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This really confused me, too, when I first started cding! I just couldn't wrap my brain around it, so NOT a stupid question. :)

I think Lori's explanation was good! In general, think about the soaker being what "soaks" up the pee. The "soaker" in a disposable diaper would be those gel beads inside the diaper. A doubler is used to "double" the absorbancy in your diaper. So, if your cd pees a lot, you might need a doubler to "double" (or add) absorbancy; you might not *need* a doubler, but you'll always need soaker stuff!

Does that help?

Susan

Default Thanks!

It all makes sense to me now. I was trying to figure out whether they were the same thing, but I was thinking maybe a doubler was *double* the absorbancy of a soaker, I don't know. Lori's explanation helped a lot, I feel a lot better now!

Thanks!