Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mommyoftwo Guest

Default HELP! Poop burning skin off her butt!

I don't know what is going on with Linnea but she is having the most toxic bowel movements and tons of them (yesterday she had six or seven). For the last 2-3 weeks, every time she poops, it is burning her skin. Yesterday she had a poopy diaper that I didn't catch right away. I finally figured it out because she was sobbing and inconsolable. This morning when I changed her, all of her skin is blistered and peeling. She hits the roof when you go near her butt, the poor thing. I've been putting diaper rash balm from northern essense on it (the non TTO/LO stuff) and I've also used desitin and aquaphor. None of them seem to be the perfect solution. So is there anything I can do to avoid the rash in the first place and what do you think the best way to treat it is? FWIW, I don't think he diet has really changed at all so I'm not sure what is causing the problem.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default RE: HELP! Poop burning skin off her butt!

Is the stuff you're using on it stuff you've used in the past? DS had a simliar problem a year or so ago and it turned out that it was the wipe solution I was using.

Other than that, I have no ideas. I hope you figure it out soon.
    Kris

mommyoftwo Guest

I've been using only water on my wipes because I didn't want anything to make things worse. I wasn't using anything on her butt until she started having issues because she didn't need anything. The various ointments seem to help but not enough to prevent the problem. It's definitely the poop that is causing the problem. I just don't know how to fix it.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My procedure for burning butt rash is the following (feel free to take or leave whatever you want):

1. Water only on wipes - rinse in tub under running water if it is really bad, so you don't have to scrub

2. Bath every night (normally we only do 2-3/week) - twice a day if really bad.

3. Dry with a hair dryer on low/cool after bath or rinsing in tub.

4. Balmex at every diaper change - put it on thick like you are frosting a bagel. Make sur the skin is completely dry each time before you put it on.

5. Lotramin - thin coating 2-3 times per day followed by Balmex over top. If she is pretty regular and you can time it, put the Lotramin on after a BM so that it will have the most time on the skin before the next diaper. Always put it on before bed.

6. Air time as much as possible - naked or just a prefold with no cover. Fleece or wool as much as possible. Disposables if they seem to help.

As far as the cause - could be just about anything. Acidic foods (tomatoes, oranges, strawberries), teething or a cold (swallowing mucous or saliva), a mild rotavirus infection, etc.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

mommyoftwo Guest

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions. She is in wool most of the time anyway and sposies don't seem to help (tried that). I'll give her a bath and let her have some naked time. I don't have Balmex but desitin is very similar so I'll use that. Why the lotrimin? It's definitely not yeast (believe me I would know after all of the issues we've had with that).

Maybe try some baking soda in the baths to help neutralize the acid on her bum? Poor thing! :( Lansinoh is always our last resort for stubborn horrible diaper rash - not sure if it will stain dipes though, I would assume it will? (stained my nursing bra pretty well)

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

Check what she's eating -- any acidic foods? Citrus fruits, tomatoes? Sometimes with DD it's not something new, it's something she's currently fixating on.

Try a probiotic.

Baking soda baths followed by vaseline. Or A&E ointment. DD finds Desitin stingy if the rash is bad.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yeast can come in many forms. I find that once they have the inital sores, the lotramin seems to help it heal even if it isn't the typical bumps of a yeast rash. I think if they are having to fight off yeast in the open sores it will take longer to heal.

I have had bad results with Desitin - it always seemed to make things worse and I worried about the oils on the CDs.

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Has she started cow's milk? Could be lactose intolerance (there's a good write-up on www.askdrsears.com about it); symptoms can take a while to show up. Milk, tomatoes, oranges, anything acidic would do that to DS1.

mommyoftwo Guest

Okay, will skip the desitin. We have had many yeast problems so we have probiotics in the fridge. I'll start those again ASAP. It can't hurt even if it isn't caused by yeast and that way we won't end up with yeast on top of everything else. She's been eating lots of bananas, rice cereals and eggs lately but I can't imagine that those would be acidic. I'll try a baking soda bath tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast