Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: HELP! Poop burning skin off her butt!

Neosporin sensitivities are very common. We see adults in clinic all the time with sores that don't heal, and it's actually a Neosporin reaction. So I'd avoid that if you can.

Jonathan's worst diaper rashes have been from toxic stomach bug poop.

Baking soda soaks, followed by hairdryer on low until the skin is completely dry. Then slather on Desitin - paint the whole area white with no skin showing through. Eileen (mudder17) has a mixture of triple paste, Mylanta and something else that I hear works wonders - search this forum, I'm sure you'll find it, you could use that instead. Naked time when you can.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

A very similar question came up recently in another forum I am on, and many people recommended something called Greer's Goo. I don't know what it is, but I am passing the suggestion on since it was recommended by several people.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Greer's Goo is a wound-care ointment invented by Dr. Kenneth Greer, professor of dermatology at the University of Virginia. It's specially compounded by pharmacists - I don't know how widely it's available. It is amazing stuff, though, so if your pharmacist knows how to make it, by all means grab some.

ETA: Something from the UVA website about Greer's Goo: "Many UVA health care professionals are familiar with "Greer's goo," a compounded mixture consisting of hydrocortisone, nystatin, and zinc oxide for diaper rash used in our nurseries."
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

mommyoftwo Guest

Thanks for the insight. We have a special pharmacy that specializes in things for kids and does compounding. I'll have to call and ask about it. I don't know if it was a virus or if it was related to the eggs, but ever since I took eggs out of her diet, the poop has been much better. It took a couple days, but the poop has stopped burning her little behind. Now I just need to get the rash to heal. It's scabbed over in parts but still looks nasty and she cries if I try to wipe the area at all. My MIL gave me some samples of cream from the peds office she works at called Flandors Buttocks Ointment that is super thick nasty smelling brown stuff but it seems to be helping. Thanks for all of your advice. Hopefully we are on the right track now.

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Also, if it's burning, you can add mylanta to the mix. That's why my rash cream mix is aquaphor, triple paste AND mylanta. The mylanta (or any antacid, actually, as long as it doesn't contain sugar) really helps soothe the acid burns. And yes, DH will often toss in Lotramin (or other probiotic) if she has a rash that isn't going away even if it doesn't look like yeast.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 32 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I seem to remember reading that eggs often have traces of dairy proteins. Not sure where, but when I was looking at the oatmeal/gluten thing a while back there was a page about hidden allergens, so you may look into that since you know she has dairy issues.

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was rechecking to see how your DD's bum was doing. I know how awful Nathans got and really feel for you and your DD.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

scoop22 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

just checking in as well. i know how ds was when this went on. i hope things are healing.
    http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

mommyoftwo Guest

Default Getting better

Sorry I didn't check in sooner. We were out of town for my grandma's funeral. We seem to be moving in the right direction. We don't have any open oozing areas anymore although there is still quite a bit of redness with peeling skin in some areas and scabs in other areas. She isn't screaming when she poops anymore though I still have to be quite careful when cleaning her off. I'm still not sure what caused the problem, but since the problem appeared when she started eating lots of eggs and disappeared when we took them out of her diet, there is a good chance that the two are related. I'll look into a hidden link with dairy as well. I'm going to give it some time before I try eggs again and I'll be watching very carefully for problems when I do try again. Thank you all so much for checking in on us. It means a lot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast