Default Antifungal should not be used in infant??

My DD(9 months)has had her first bad diaper rash with yeast infection since last weekend. The nurse practioner at the doctor's office told me to try on A&D. It didn't help.

Today, I took her to see her Ped and she prescribed the cream called "Vusion Ointment." I googled and found out that it was a new drug.

Is it a good idea to try on the new drug on the market?
    http://www.pharmalive.com/News/index...&categoryid=10

I am wondering whether there are any alternatives to treat this symtom. The website below mentions that the antifungal should not be used in infant.
    http://www.uspharmacist.com/oldforma...&article_id=29

Please share with me your thought and experience. Thanks so much.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Antifungal should not be used in infant??

Don't know about this new drug, but why not try the inexpensive OTC Clotrimazole cream first? It's safe to use in the diaper area for a yeast rash.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

For yeast rashes, I've always used OTC products. i once looked all over town to buy gynelotromin thinking it would be safer, only to read the label and find that it is the same as Clotrimazole-type jock itch or athlete's foot creams. I avoid the ones that claim to be stronger or faster (newer, different ingredients) in favor of basic or "original" formulations. If you're unsure about a product's formulation, you can ask a pharmacist.

As a rule, I avoid new drugs whenever possible.

I read the article, but I've never heard that about antifungals before. Isn't thrush basically a yeast infection? They prescribe nystatin for that.

Dr Sears (nice website if you haven't seen it before) recommends OTC antifungals for yeast:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081400.asp

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Juat a quick note from your friendly neighborhood pharmacist.

When it says "No antifungal is allowed for use in an infant with diaper rash.14,15." it means-- Not allowed by the FDA. That is a true statement. The FDA does not allow manufacturers to put antifungals in OTC diaper rash creams. It says "Should the pharmacist suspect that the infant has secondary candidal infection, referral is mandatory." to tell the pharmacist that if a yeast infection in a child is suspected, it needs to be check out by the MD. It doesn't mean that antifungals aren't used to treat yeast infections associated with diaper rash, it is just to serve as a warning for the pharmacist to make sure the proper diagnosis is received. Since it sounds like it is your MD's office that is recommending the medication, that all that has been met. That being said, at and average retail price of $64.00 for the Vusion I would recommend you call back your MD's office and ask about using an OTC antifungal. I can't find any studies that say Vusion preformed better than OTC antifungals. Infact, all the studies I found were compared against non-medicated diaper rash creams.

Margaret
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

kwc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

ITA!

I've used clotrimazole and miconazole on my own kids dipe rashes a few times, purchased OTC. In the hospital, we make up "butt balm"... it varies from place to place but it's usually 3 things in equal parts:
    -nystatin/ Eucerin/ Desitin
    -nystatin or other antifungal/ Desitin/ hydrocortisone 1%

And if you read the Vusion link... it states the ingredients are miconazole, zinc oxide and petrolatum. So that's a lot of extra $$$ to mix the antifungal with a zinc barrier cream like Balmex or Triple Paste or A& D Zinc.