Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default She is here! And a short birth story.

Elowyn Rose was born Thursday at 10:21 pm at our birth center in the water!

My water had broken that morning a bit after 1 am so we headed off to the center to start antibiotics for GBS. My contractions started soon after my water breaking but stalled once we arrived. Ds came with us and once we got there and decided we would stay for some sleep (not him of course - haha!) my mother and stepfather arrived to keep him company for the day. I took a nap and the contractions woke me up but stalled about an hour later. Nothing much happened the rest of the day until the late afternoon when I decided to take some homepathics, castor oil (ugh, blech, gross), a power walk and an acupuncture treatment. Yes, at that point I was feeling a countdown until I would have to transfer to a hospital for labor augmentation so I assaulted myself from every angle! On the walk back from the acupuncturist regular contractions started back up. After a quick dinner at the BC the contractions were suddenly no longer comfortable and I could not stay relaxed with our hypnobirthing techniques. We called the midwife to come back to the BC early (she was due in an hour for more antibiotic administering) and then I was checked and at least had finally progressed to 4 cm (the two prior times I was just 1 cm). She started the tub up and when I got in I immediately felt my body pushing the baby with every contraction. At this point I was really frightened that I was pushing and it was premature, but I could not help it. As the midwife started to reglove to check me again she said, "Melanie, put your hand down, feel her head!" Clearly, it was not premature. LOL. I don't think I really ever pushed, just let my body do it but she was born about 15 minutes after I hit the water. As soon as her head and arms came out I lifted her up onto my chest.

She 8 lbs, 1 oz. and 20 inches long. Ds came in right away and was very happy to see her (and for me to not be yelling anymore...the last 2 hours had been intense). After a couple of hours we packed up to head home, just under 24 hours from when my water had broken. Her labor was only 22 hours and until the last two and half of them, pain-free. This was a departure from Ds' 26 hour labor filled with excruciating contractions until I got an epidural around hour 20.

Aside from the frustrations of the stalled labor during the day, this was the most wonderful birth ever. It was just so amazing, exhilarating, and a million other wonderful emotions I can't describe right now. I felt a world better than after Ds, and still do (though I've only had 4 sleepless nights so far..hahaha.)

We are all doing well and my milk has already come in. Breastfeeding is going better than it did with Ds, though still a bit of a challenge (tiny mouth, huge engorged breasts...not fun!). We had an LC out today already though, and are on the right track.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Baby/amby3.jpg
    ...in her amby hammock...
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Default RE: She is here! And a short birth story.

Wow, Elowyn is such a unique and beautiful name. I'm so glad your birth experience went as well as you'd hoped. I admire your tenacity to have the birth of your dreams.

Take care and hope you get some rest amidst the feedings. Congrats mama!

Larissa
    who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

SuenosDelMar Guest

What a beautiful baby w/ the most beautiful name! How wonderful for you that your birth experience was everything you could have hoped for.

kensjen Guest

Oh Melanie, she is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your story, and congratulations!!!

Enjoy your babymoon!! :)

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh Melanie, coingratulations! She is precious! I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience (except for the stalled labor :) )
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Melanie,

Congratulations!! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful birth experience. E is beautiful.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdo...y+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png
    Last edited by Wife_and_mommy; 06-29-2011 at 11:39 PM.

darby24 Guest

Congratulations! Welcome Elowyn! :-)

What a beautiful picture, just precious!

Oh Melanie,
    She is so precious and cute. I love her picture. And I am so happy that you had a wonderful and safe birth experience. Congratulations!!

Kimberly

Congratulations Melanie!! She is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on having a wonderful birth experience. I love the name you have chosen for your darling.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Congratulations!!! Wonderful story-- beautiful name for a beautiful girl :)
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast