Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    shevam Guest

Default RE: Where can you try on slings/pouches in person?

Just an update:
    Went to Upper Breast Side the other day....
    Well, it wasn't what I was expecting. It was very small but packed with goods ( slings, nursing bras, pumps, breastfeeding products...)However, it was soooooooooooooooooo busy that the woman (I forgot her name) couldn't/wouldn't really help me. There was a very long wait and she was helping so many people at once that it wasn't very helpful. The slings that she sells are Maya, Sling-eze, zolo, and new native. you can play with them yourself, and she'll show you how to put the baby in 1 way, but she really won't spend any time with you and show you the different positions.... she says, "watch the video" which I didn't find to be so helpful since the reason I went there was to have a live person show me how it works. I've already seen the video and still could use some help. Needless to say that since I didn't find it to be so helpful, I would rather order on-line now and find a mom on the street and ask for help. If I were to go back to the store, I would call in advance to find out a time when she is not busy because I'm sure she has a ton of knowledge and could be very helpful when she is not so busy. I don't want to discourage others from going to her b/c she's a working SAHM and I wouldn't want to hurt her business or reputation. I just think I would have had a better experience if I had called and come in when it wasn't so busy.

Sheva

nofeea is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Maybe it will be less busy after Labor Day?
    What was the cross street? (71st and __?)

shevam Guest

I want to say that it is bet Amsterdam and West End but that part of 71st is where Bway and Amst cross so not sure which one it really is. It's on the South side of the street in an apt building on the first floor.

If you go write back and let me know if it was less crowded and if she spent more time with you. I really wanted to like it and go back!

Sheva

Default Attn.: Sheva- UPDATE

Well, I finally made it over there, and I must say I was underwhelmed :(. Now, to be fair, I admit that my timing wasn't the best- I didn't get there until a little before closing time. That being the case, I would have understood if they suggested I come back another time when they would have more time to help me. Instead, I just said that I wanted a quick peek at slings and after they pointed me in the right direction I got to try on a Zolo. The older woman there was very nice but she directed me to her daughter with any questions. Now, maybe the daughter was just having a bad day, but she made me feel completely unwelcome. Her tone was irritated and she just did not make me feel comfortable. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt and just assume that everyone has a bad day sometimes... but even so, I would not be eager to go back there. It was a lot less busy at the end of the day though;)... Write again if you decide to back... I'd love to know what happens ! Good luck :)!

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know someone who carries Zolos, Mayas and some other kind of sling and lives in the SF Bay area.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

shevam Guest

Default RE: Attn.: Sheva- UPDATE

It seems you had the same experience I had! I guess I didn't write all the details, but I was there with 2 friends and they said the same thing. The older woman only deals with the bras. She seemed very nice and helpful, but didn't know much about the slings. The daughter did seem annoyed and she made me and my friends uncomfortable. We felt she was very condescending. Now that you had a similar experience I definitely will not be going back. I wouldn't want to give her the business. Actually, I ended up ordering an adjustable fleece pouch from KK and it's great. If I end up wanted a Zolo or something else in addition, I would rather order it direct than have to deal with that lady! She seems to have lost her touch, definitely didn't give us the warm fuzzies! At least you got to try on the Zolo!
    Thanks for keeping me posted on your experience there!

Default RE: Attn.: Sheva- UPDATE

O.K., so now maybe I don't feel quite as guilty about giving her a "bad review." Thanks for adding the rest of your story...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2