Thread: sling sewers

shevam Guest

Default sling sewers

has anyone made a ring sling with fleece? if so did it work well?

Sheva

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: sling sewers

I don't think that fleece would work as the main fabric for a ring sling. The fabric would be too thick to slide smoothly through the ring.

One thing you could try is make a regular fabric ring sling and then line the body of the sling (the section where baby would typically be) with fleece. That might work better.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

nohomama Guest

I haven't done it but it might work if you used a light weight microfleece and large rings. With a microfleece I don't think you'll have problems with the fabric sliding through the rings but I do think that depending on how you fold/pleat the fabric you might have difficultly sewing through all the layers with a regular (non industrial) machine. Perhaps gathering the fabric rather than folding it would work.

shevam Guest

Thanks for your responses. I guess I will use the fleece I bought to make a pouch sling instead. Have you ever tried to make your pouches adjustable? Or do you think it isn't safe to try at home? What kind of snaps would be strong enough I wonder? My KK pouch is arriving sometime soon so I guess I will look into then.

Thanks again,
    Sheva

Jan Andrea Guest

I have made slings in regular fleece. I sewed in the pleats (as in the instructions on my website at http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/sling.html) and cut the excess fabric within the pleats off -- since the end is folded under, it's not seen, and doesn't weaken the ring end at all. This gave more room for the tail end fabric, and I didn't have any trouble adjusting the tail. Thinner rings work better than thick ones, but you can still use nylon -- just get 3" rings instead of 2.5" or thereabouts.

shevam Guest

Great I'm so glad! I was hoping to use your pattern! Actually, I was planning on having someone I know sew it for me ( I don't have a sewing machine and I'm not so good at it), but I need to have your instructions translated to spanish first. If you like when they are translated I can e-mail them to you in case anyone else asks. Or if by some chance you happen to already have them I would love to get a copy! :)

Thanks again! I think your website is great! And your son is a cutie!
    Sheva

Jan Andrea Guest

There's a little AltaVista Babelfish translator at the top of the page that should give passable results in Spanish -- not perfect, but probably a good start. Just click on the Spanish flag (the bottom right one, I think) and AltaVista takes care of the rest. However, if you do have them translated by an actual person, I'd love a copy to put on the site. I get a lot of hits from Russians and various Scandinavians, but haven't noticed a lot of southern European ones.

Thanks for the compliments :)