etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What is best position to hold 6 month in a sling?

And she's not sitting unassisted...I'm wanting to know for my zolowear sling.

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

Jan Andrea Guest

Default RE: What is best position to hold 6 month in a sling?

At that age, I think I used the kangaroo carry the most -- legs crossed and tucked into the sling, his back against my front, looking out. We were also starting to transition to a hip carry, as he could hold up his head, but I had the sling fabric high on his back so he was held up that way. Actually, it was more of a modified hip carry -- he was still too small to straddle my (ample) hip, but I'd have him upright with his front against my side, legs kind of sticking out. As long as he could see what was going on, he was happy.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have that sling, but I wore Nate in the hip carry position from 5 months onward -- and he only started sitting unassisted this week. The fabric kept his back upright, but he did have good head control.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I used hip carry starting at about 5 months, even though Colin wasn't sitting unassisted until 6.5-7 months.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would also recommend trying the hip carry as long as she has good head control.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've been using the kangaroo carry, and that's when she seems slanted (towards my hip where the sling is lower).

I'll try to figure out the hip carry. i don't know why I'm so sling challenged. i asked some moms in my play group today and none of them knew slings :(

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

My daughter is getting too big for the kangaroo carry at 5 months, she doesn't seem to like her legs folded like that, and she is too heavy to have her hanging that far out from my body.

So I modified it. I sit her in the sling with her head at the ring end and her feet at the other side. She turns her body to face forward, but she is sitting in there sideways.

I also like the tummy to tummy carry, especially if she is ready to go to sleep. This puts her to sleep every time.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

My son is about a week older than your daughter, and we use the kangaroo carry all the time. I find him to be slanted sometimges, too but it usually means I just need to make the sling tighter or adjust the top rail (I have a maya type ring sling). Depending on how wide your sling is, your could also try kangaroo but with her feet out over the top rail. I also have a NoJo padded sling, and this position seems to work best in that sling.
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03