Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default RE: pouches folded pic

Hi, I was just wondering what is Mom and Me's website?

Thanks.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

losgallarzos Guest

Default RE: mom and me vs kangaroo korner AFP

Kristina Gallarzo in Surprise AZ

Hi Sheva! I have a two and a half year old DD and 7 year old DD twins. I have been a sling nut for a long time!! I currently own and use a Maya Wrap, KKAFP, KKACP, MAMC fleece pouch (she no longer makes these) and one each of the old style and the new style MAMC hemp cotton, Pea In the Pod pouches. I live in the desert of Arizona where on this first day of October it is 105 degrees! Here's the skinny according to me: KKAFP - Awesome, fabric snaps back after being stretched, love the elastic binding. TOO HOT most of the time, especially for newborns and small babies who are all tucked in (including their head). KKACP - Was so excited when I saw this had come out. Thought it would solve my problems with the heat of the fabric of the KKAFP. The fabric was TERRIFIC, but the pocket was too deep for my toddler (and she is only 23 pounds). Her butt sunk down so low (in the hip carry) that her knees were angled up towards her chin. No matter how I tried to adjust her, that pocket was too deep. My friend with a newborn liked it though for that size of baby. It also appeared to be professionally manufactured - a definate turn off for me, a strong supporter of WAHM moms - when you get too big, I want to support somebody else. I want to help the little guy, know what I mean? Also the seam on the KKACP is ripping out (it's only two months old). I know Tanya would immediately repair it, but it's just a pain in the butt, ya know! Tanya has been terrific with customer service and is a quick responder to emails. The MAMC fleece pouch - TOO HOT for the desert! The MAMC Pea in the Pod pouch, AAAAHHHHH! Finally, the perfect fit for us. I ordered deep tomato red with black stitching (Sheva, who cares if it matches... red is GLORIOUS!). The fabric is all natural, soaks up sweat and it breathes, lets air in and out. There is a lot of give to the fabric, so err on the small side rather than the large size if you aren't sure. What I do is snap it a little tight (right after washing), and then put Corina in, and after 10 minutes or so, it is the perfect size and it stays that way until I wash it again. The shoulder is extremely comfortable and the most important feature to me is that bottom rail. When you get a toddler in there, you just have to have it or they are uncomfortable. Jen is a gem with customer service, and being able to custom order my color was awesome. She hand dyes the fabric at her house! Each and every sling is painstakingly handmade by this WAHM, which is VERY important to me. Hope this all helps. And if you get one from MAMC, I say, GO FOR THE RED!

Thank you Lori. These pouches look fantastic!

lynettefrancois Guest

Default RE: pouch photos

Hi,
    I'm due with my first in December. I would love some input, especially from anyone with a newer style Mom & Me...

I was all set to get a KKFP (and later a maya or zolo for summer, but reluctantly- I'll explain in a second) until I read about the new design of the Mom and Me hemp pouch. I really want no more than two pouches/slings (DH would freak out). I have narrow shoulders and will be visiting my mom in Texas (a bit toasty there!) several times a year, so it seems like the Mom & Me would be a better choice for me. But now I have a few questions:

1. If I get a Mom & Me "pea in a pod" pouch, do you think I can get away with just one pouch/sling and skip the maya/zolo? I am SO short (not even 5'2") it seems like the fabric on either of those ring slings would be overwhelming. I just don't think I would feel like it would look right on me with all that extra fabric hanging around, no matter how pretty it is, and no matter how wonderful the versatility is.
    2. Are there any Disadvantages to getting the second (non-standard) rail, or would you recommend it for everyone?
    3. Something was said something about the "jersey" being a little casual, depending on the dye color- can you elaborate? I don't recall ever seeing hemp in person, so I don't know what it looks like. A cream color would probably go best with my wardrobe. I will be a SAHM for awhile, but I'm still partial to Ralph Lauren casual clothes for trips to Wal-Mart and the mall... :) would this work together, or would the pouch look too casual?

Thanks in advance to everyone! :) Lynette

zen_bliss is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

hi there lynette! i'll try to answer these:
    1.) i absolutely think you can use an adjustable pouch in whatever fabric you like as your only sling, they are very versatile
    1a.) re -- ring slings with long tails on a short short person. if you also wanted a ringsling you could get one custom made. i too had major trepidation about the tail issue (will it get into everything? wrap around my thigh while walking? tangle in dog leash? get in the way when i lean over to pick up dog poo?) and rev. jan at www.sleepingbaby.net made me one to my measurements (about $25 shipped)
    2.) i can't say if there's a disadvantage to the inside rail -- rails on both sides seemed like a good idea to me for the babe's legs -- soft fabric with some give against the inside of the knee instead of the taut stitching.
    3.) i made the comment about the jersey being casual. JMO, and by that i guess i meant in comparison to say, the Zolo in brocade or the sleek cotton. to be fair, i don't think of polar fleece as being so swank looking after a few washings either, that's LL Bean casual to my mind. the hemp fleece is a 'sweatshirt' type material, and the fleecy side is out on the rails. my old style marigold looks more sweatshirt-y (and true, it was meant to look masculine w/brown trim for DH), and my avocado doesn't look as sweatshirt-y, more like a companion for GAP chinos. take a look at the M&MC site, there are pics of both and several of the undyed natural. the natural looks very soft and snuggly. ask jen about which colors have come out really robust. there used to be more pics on the site of actual dyed hemp which looks a little different from the swatches. there was a really gorgeous one in "TIffany & Co" blue on the site recently. someone just posted that the red is really pretty and i look forward to seeing that one too. HTH!

lynettefrancois Guest

THANK YOU! for all the info- I'm cracking up thinking about leaning over in a ring sling to pick up doggie poo- now there's one I hadn't even considered yet! :) I will definitely save the sleepingbaby.net site for reference.

I just got an email back from Jen about sizing (I'm wanting to order now so that I won't have to wait after the baby comes) and she seems happy to exchange if I order a natural colored one and it doesn't fit (especially after sending her tons of sizing info- she said she rarely has sizing problems after people asked questions like I did). She said thread color wouldn't make a difference in exchanges- I forgot to ask about the extra rail though. But since I'm less worried about sizing now anyway, I'm thinking about red- it's a good "neutral" for me as well!

I just have one more question- should I expect the hemp to pill at all? I understood from what you wrote that the KK fleece pouch does, but the hemp sweatshirt-y type material doesn't sound like it would... pilling is just one of my pet peeves! I tend to throw things out with gusto if they pill, so just wondering what to expect. Thanks again for all the info! I really appreciate it. :) Lynette

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3