Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: What to do about Zolo?

I'm not sure what you mean? It does seem to be Sarah's weight that makes it much harder for me to loosen the rings. I actually have to take all her weight with my left arm, while I use my right hand to loosen the fabric in the rings (I wear her on my left hip).

I wonder if the silk slings are just easier to loosen than the cotton ones.

And the Zolo is secure all right! I'll give it that....
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

lizamann Guest

Have fun deciding on a color! There are too many choices. I hesitate to say this because you probably already know (don't you know everything?) but the color swatches at mayawrap.com are not as good as the ones at the "online store" on that site. The online store swatches are more true.

my solution to your dilema: buy another sling!

If you think you will like the Maya, get one. If you like it much more than the Zolo, you can always sell the Zolo. Mayas come up on eBay quite often.

My Zolo loosens just fine, but then Logan is not as big as Sarah and I don't have to loosen it very much to get her out. When she is a toddler, I think I may have the same issue you do.

But that's okay, I have lots of other slings to use. :) (no, my didy still has not arrived!)

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Calmegja Guest

Beth...

When I'm getting Josh out of the Zolo, silk or cotton, or the KK sling, I lean forward at the waist, so that his body weight shifts to press against the top rail of the sling. The change in position, from upright to pulling against the fabric, lets me use one hand to loosen the ring, because the baby's shoulders/upper torso act more like a weight to pull on the rail for me.

If that's about as clear as mud, ask me again, and I'll try to explain further. I have had precious little coffee today, so I may be unclear....;-)

Now see, I did NOT know that! Thanks!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

No, I think I got it that time. :) I have a raging cold (and I hope not a sinus infection) and the little monster, I mean little dear, was up at 5:30 today, so I am a bit on the sleep deprived side myself. :)

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!

Do they work at MetLife?

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No, he's an officer with the Coast Guard (stationed there) and she's finishing up her student teaching.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Beth,

In comparison to the other posts so far, I'm going to take the alternate side of the equation here. I know I am "just a pouch girl at heart" :).

As much as I like my ring slings (I have a solarveil and one that I made), I never find myself reaching for those. I faithfully keep trying and practice using them (they definitely have their advantages), but I just love my pouches (KKAFP and simple cotton pouch). Honestly, I think the lack of adjustment is what appeals to me. I just don't want to fuss. Plus the compactness of the pouches can't be beat.

Personally, knowing how handy you are with the sewing machine, I think you should go shopping and get the most gorgeous fabric you find, regardless of cost per yard, and make a stunning new pouch for yourself!

I know I may not hold the popular opinion here, but I'll say it anyway. I got swept up into the Zolo craze not once but twice, and regretted it both times. I bought a cotton Zolo on sale, hated it, and returned it. Then thought maybe I was doing something wrong, or I was impatient, and that was why it was so hard to adjust the frabric through the rings, and the narrow shoulder area kept digging in to me. So, I bought a second, at full price. After washing it to soften it up, and fussing with it for days, I gave up, and returned it.
    I was ready to swear off ring slings all together, when I happened upon Maya Wrap slings. I am in love :). The fabric is buttery soft, even before washing. There are countless beautiful fabrics and, it glides through the rings like silk. It is so gentle on Josh's chubby bare legs, it folds up compactly in a diaper bag, and best of all, it is half the price of a Zolo. It also comes with a free very helpful video/DVD.
    I would sell your Zolo Beth, and jump on board with a Maya. I would also go to G Street fabrics and buy yourself some Maden Mills Fleece to make a new fall/winter pouch. I think you'll be happy you did!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast