Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: What's the best???

I'll chime in with a different opinion and say that DS and I loved the Bjorn. He has always been so happy in it. It did start to put more strain on my back as DS approached 20 pounds but we more than got our money's worth out of the Baby Bjorn. I tried other carriers with DS, but he always preferred the Bjorn. I found it very easy to put on/take off by myself. And, it washed nicely. I have no complaints.

Other options include adjustable slings, pouches, adjustable pouches (like the Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch), Wilkinet, Baby Trekker, Theodore Bean and Sutemi.

I would stay away from the Snuggli and slings you can buy at mass merchandisers.

Here are some links to different carriers:

http://www.kangarookorner.com/index.shtml
    http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/
    http://www.babytrekker.com/
    http://www.epinions.com/kifm-Baby_Eq..._Carrier_1MNBL
    http://sutemigear.com/
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

Dcclerk is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

As others have mentioned, I love my Wilkinet and DS does, too. I have no problems carrying him around all day in the thing. However, although I would choose it over the Bjorn, personally, my DH would not. It has straps that are relatively involved, and it usually takes me a full minute to get DS totally adjusted. Once you get the hang of it, it is no big deal and is great for couples who are very different in sizes, but if you don't want to take the time to work on the learning curve, a Bjorn is much easier (about 20 seconds in and secure).

That being said, both DH and I agree that the standard Bjorn is not nearly as comfortable as the Wilkinet (and I imagine some of the other carriers). In a dream world, my DH would probably prefer the easy of the Bjorn with the support and padding of a Wilkinet. I think the closest you could get with those are:

The NEW $120 Baby Bjorn with waist support
    Kelty Kangaroo

Good luck with your decision. Don't feel bad if you end up getting something and then something else and something else until you have about 6 different carriers, like all the rest of us on this board! :)

sbbiomed Guest

We have the Bjorn and the Maya wrap (gift). We were using the Bjorn first and then someone got us the Maya wrap when our DS was about 1.5 months old.

Our DS is now about 14.5 pounds (3 months). My DW and I love the Bjorn so far. It is so easy and quick to put our DS into. When he was younger, he slept against our chest every time that he was in the Bjorn. Now that he is "older", he faces outward and loves to look around and see the sites. We just went to NYC last weekend and I walked around Central Park with him looking at the trees and the people and he loved it. I can see it becoming a strain on the back when he gets bigger, but we will have a child carrier by then to walk and hike with.

As far as the Maya wrap goes, My DW has not had too much time to play the instructional video (a good 20 minutes and you need to watch it a few times in a row) since we recieved it. It is pretty confusing to learn and my DW has tried it a few times, but it always felt like she needed to hold him with one hand (Bjorn totally secure feeling) because it feels like his tush is going to slip out the bottom and that the locking rings holding his weight will slip. I have tried it as well and I didn't feel like I could totally let go of him.

This is my opinion along with my DW's. However, the person that gave us the wrap has three and won't use anything else.

I think that whatever you start using and get comfortable with is what you will like the most. It is hard to get comfortable with something and then try to get comfortable with something completely different.

Steven
    Dreams do come true - Joshua 7-14-03

wagner36 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I loved, loved, loved our Bjorn until DS got to be about 16 pounds. Loved it! It was so easy and convenient that we could shlepp DS anywhere. Plus, DH felt that it was manly enough (he's sensitive on this issue since he's a SAHD - everything has to be extra manly), whereas he would NEVER consider wearing a Maya. Now that DS is so big, he would rather just carry him or push him in the stroller. I, on the other had, am considering getting a sling for myself, but I haven't quite figured out which one yet! As long as you're not freaked out by spending $80 on a Bjorn that you may only use for a few months, I say go for it! DS wouldn't tolerate a stroller until recently, so the Bjorn changed our lives!

Tara
    Mom to Charlie, 5/26/03

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have you had the person that gave you the Maya give you and your DW a lesson? There is absolutely nothing like having someone show you first hand how to use a sling! Their one major downside is their learning curve. I have a Maya and it really should be hands free. When worn correctly, there is really no way for a baby to slip out the bottom. Some people do have problems with the fabric slipping in the rings, but that hasn't happened to me yet, so it may depend on body type and ring position.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

This is my first foray into this board. I haven't really tried a lot of products other than the Bjorn, but friends of mine have told me that it is the best of that type of carrier. Lots of complaints about the Snugli...my friends who have bought it have ended up getting a Bjorn for kid #2. I'm not familiar with the Wilkins.

I agree that if you are interested in getting a man to wear your baby (DH, grandpa), the Bjorn is the way to go. My DH LOVES the thing...every time I leave the house I come back and DD is in the Bjorn with Daddy. And she's ALWAYS in that thing on him when we go out to the store, a restaurant, etc. Maybe now he'd wear her in a more traditional sling, but I doubt it. Pre-birth when we were at BRU looking at them, he said he wouldn't unless we got a masculine carrier. And the Bjorns are definitely masculine looking. And I see men all the time around town wearing their babies in a Bjorn, but not really in slings or Snuglies.

They are quite expensive, but you can buy a new one on Ebay for less than they sell in the stores, and get a used one for even cheaper.

Just my $0.02.

Cynthia
    Mom to Julianna 9/7/03

kelso44 Guest

OK, I am going to tangent slightly....

I continue to see acronyms like, DS, DD, DH, etc. what do these mean!!!?????

thanks!

kelso

Dear Son, Dear Daughter, Dear Hubby :)

Or sometimes another word that starts with D!

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

FYI - I saw on Babycenter's website there is a new & improved (and more expensive) Bjorn. It looks like it is more like a Wilkenet. I loved my Baby Bjorn from about months 2-6 but agree with the previous posts. I wish I would have gotten a sling and am sure I will for the next baby. However, dh likes the Bjorn and I'm sure he will never use a sling.
    Kim

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yep, I agree. My husband wears our son in the Baby Bjorn, but I never found the thing very comfortable on my back -- even when Nate was 8 lbs (min. weight requirement) and a month old! I have seen men wear Snuglies around A LOT in Chicago, but the Bjorn seems very popular.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast