suribear Guest

Default Padded hip carrier??

Ok, I've tried to use my sling as a hip carrier. Mine is a simple one with two rings on one end. I love the idea and position (as does ds!) except I can't seem to fan it out too much without restricting my arm movement! And it puts pressure on my neck after some time.

I wonder if I just need more padding and support? I love my baby trekker (Except I don't want a front pack for around the house) b/c of the padding, and the hip support. Maybe something like that except can be used as a hip carrier? Does something like that exist?

Also, I am petite (meaning short, not thin LOL). I wonder if the one I have isn't the right size. I don't remember where I got it!

Any ideas?

Kris

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Padded hip carrier??

Which sling do you have?

In my opinion, in general, a sling will be more comfortable than a strap and buckle type hip carrier. A sling tends to spread the weight of your child across your shouders and back. Strap and buckle hip carriers tend to concentrate the child'd weight in particular spots especially on the neck. But a sling that doesn't fit you, or isn't worn properly, will not be very comfortable.

Here are some good instructions for the hip carry with a ring sling:

http://www.taylormadetreasures.wahmb...tm#Hip%20Carry

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

suribear Guest

Thanks.

I don't know the brand as I bought it four years ago! It's a simple ring sling with a small padded "pillow"/shoulder support.

You know, I've tried and tried but just can't get it right. Yesterday ds was in tears in the process, and so was I!

I'm thinking I should get a mom n me pouch. They look pretty cool. Just hope he agrees! I wish I could try it out first, though. I hate to keep throwing money on carriers.

Kris

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Do you live near anyone on the boards that could help you? Or is there a LLL meeting in your area? There are usually lots of moms with slings at LLL that would be happy to help!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

suribear Guest

I live in the SF bay area. I guess I could try to find someone :)

Yesterday I tried it again. It was tolerable until I took it off. Then I had spasms in my chest and neck (on the side of the rings).
    DS is probably 18-19 lbs.
    Kris

lizamann Guest

Try this:

http://slings.abigailvr.net/

I've only talked to Abigail online, but she is very nice and lives in Mountain View. I have no idea how close that is to you, but I think it's at least in the bay area. She distributes Zolos, Mayas, and Ergos and might be able to meet with you to help out.